Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Quick poll: Changing tyres. Do people really bother? Seriously?
  • binners

There seems to be two camps here, easily recognisable by the tediously regular “what tyres for…” threads.

1. People who give a ****
    2. People who don’t

I fall unashamedly into the latter camp. I stick a pair of half-decent tyres on (Maxxis Advantage at the moment) and they’re not getting changed until they’re worn to a degree where they’re dangerous. They will then be replaced with the same, or something similar. They’re black rubber things that go on your rims. And like a EDF member thinks about our ethnic population; they all look the same anyway

I know people go on about the relative merits of various bits of round rubber. I tend to not bother with these threads as it all seems like a lot of guff to me.

So… a serious question: Are there really people out there (on here) who have a selection of tyres, and can honestly be arsed to change them depending on conditions or particular destinations?

Drac

I don’t change unless they wear out or are damaged.

philconsequence
    Free Member

same tyres all year round, they seem to wear down to ‘summer tyre’ in time for summer anyway.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

i’m fairly shit at riding a bike, so i don’t think my tyre choice makes a lot of difference.. if they’re not prone to going flat, they will do. (2)

MrTall
    Free Member

I tend to change mine from time to time but it’s generally just from a summer trye to a winter one once the local trails become really muddy.

Only takes a few minutes so i’m happy to do it. I guess if you run tubeless its more of a faff.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Same tires all year round.

giantjason
    Free Member

i tend to keep the same front tyre all year round and only change the rear tyre to a thinner semi-mud tyre over the winter months.

another reason for my lack of changing is that i run tubeless and sometimes find it a hassle to chage over easily.

Esme
    Free Member

Where I ride, its muddy and boggy all year round 🙁 so there’s no reason to change tyres

D0NK

use em till I ruin them, varies from half a ride to a couple of years then change em. Having winter and summer tyres makes sense but I go with singlespeed/summer bike instead 🙂

wwaswas

I tend to use bonty mud-x during the winter and some Intense system 5’s in the spring/summer/autumn.

certainly less motivated to change tyres all the time sinc eI went tubeless…

Harry_the_Spider

I use the same tyres all year round until they wear out then change them for whatever I can get cheap.

This makes me sound like a right tight bastard.

englishlion
    Free Member

I keep the same tyres on and they’re the ones that came with the bike at the moment. I might consider several sets if I could afford several sets of wheels to leave them on!

portlyone

Think I’ve only ever changed my tyres when I did the Manchester – Blackpool a few years back, changed to slicks.

Though I did change my tyres for the Alps to dual-ply.

njee20
    Free Member

Race wheels get changed all the time. If I ride on my race wheels I just use whatever’s fitted.

Normal wheels don’t change much, maybe a winter/summer swap.

rewski
    Free Member

Yes, twice a year, where I ride the benefits of switching to say a bonty mud x tyre in the autumn/winter months outweighs the faff, I’ll even rotate the tyres from bike to bike, I’ve got quite quick now, pedro tyre levers have helped. Don’t find changing as tedious as slow mud tyres in the dry months, unless you’ve discovered the perfect all rounder, not tried Advantage myself.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

high rollers on the stiffee, nevegals on the norco six. been like that for years too.

rocketman
    Free Member

Are there really people out there (on here) who have a selection of tyres, and can honestly be arsed to change them depending on conditions or particular destinations?

Yes – big stack of part-worn tyres in the garage for every conceivable situation on all my bikes. Reality is I change them maybe two or three times a year according to destination/conditions. Fire away.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Quick answer to quick poll – yes.

Long answer – I put something ultra grippy on the front when its wet & muddy, but the rest of the time I can’t be bothered to carry all that weight & drag around, so I put on a light & slim fast roller.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I do change mine. I never used to, but then I discovered summer tyres like Small Block 8s, and I like them….. But I change them for winter.

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

Same all year round, regardless of where I am riding.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I use different bikes with different tyres as i am not cheap like HTS

I dont actually care just one bike has crossmarks on it and I wont ride that in the mud as it is lethal I do have mud tyres but dont use them

oddjob
    Free Member

I change summer and winter, but it tends to be dry and hard in the summer and wet and slippery in the winter here. When I was in the UK it was the same tyres year round becuase there was less variation between the seasons ie muddy all the time 😈

BadlyWiredDog

I don’t change tyres, instead I have near identical wheels on my full sus and hardtail. I run faster, lighter tyres on one set, slightly burlier, grippier ones on the other. And I occasionally swap them around or use different combos depending on where I’m riding and sometimes who I’m riding with… It doesn’t take very long. I couldn’t really be bothered with swapping individual tyres though.

But if folk want to change their tyres around, that seems reasonable enough to me. I don’t think I have any particular right to question their behaviour, though I know that on STW, black and white thinking is de rigeur and I should collapse into a seething fury at the idea of anyone choosing to behave differently from me. This place does seem, increasingly, to be suffering from some sort of collective personality disorder… 😉

fbk
    Free Member

I never used to bother, until I started riding DH more. As I got quicker I started to realise just how much of a difference different tread patterns/rubber compounds made. I now tend to have an prefered tyre depending on how muddy, gravity dependant or pedally a ride is. Whether I get round to changing tyres before the ride or not is a different matter though…unless it’s a race 🙂

For an awful lot of riding it probably doesn’t make that much difference.

cupra
    Free Member

i’m fairly shit at riding a bike, so i don’t think my tyre choice makes a lot of difference.. if they’re not prone to going flat, they will do. (2)

This sums it up for me

RustySpanner

Went through a phase of trying different tyres and I think it really does make a difference:
    Love Ignitors, Purgatorys, Cinders and Advantages, hate High Rollers for example.

Bought a Crossmark to try for the Summer. It’s ok, but no better than a worn Ignitor it replaced.

Ended up with a Minion Supertacky DHF last year, can’t believe how grippy it was in the winter, so that will go back on shortly, massive confidence booster.

They all get used ’till they’re worn out, eventually, but I quite enjoy experimenting if I can get them cheap.

stcolin
    Free Member

Just between winter and summer, and if I’m racing.

vinnyeh

The dilemma of only having one bike for doing everything. I’d wager a lot of people on here have different bike for different purposes, so can just pick the appropriate bike already shod with the appropriate tyres for the conditions 🙂

I might change them for winter if what’s on them is having a particularly hard time of it.
    I’ll change them for the Alps (though I’ve not bothered to change them back this year yet).
    Will change them in the rare event of racing/honc etc.

stumpy01

I generally use only one set of tyres, especially since converting to tubeless.

If it’s really cak in the winter, then I will generally have mud tyres on the wheels for my Inbred & will use them on whatever bike I am riding.

When my bike & pairs of wheels stock consisted of the number 1, then it would generally be a pair of tyres in the summer and then change to mud-specific come winter time and use them until about mid-march/April time.

kayak23

Dual ply for DH, single for trail…

kudos100
    Free Member

Tyres are one of the biggest things you can do to change how the bike handles, so why wouldn’t you try a few out?

I run two sets, a spring, summer and autumn set and then a winter set.

For the money, one of the best things you can buy for a bike.

lowey

Same all year till they wear out. Although just riding a bike would be nice at the moment.

binners

Night ride next week Lowey?

Steve-P
    Free Member

Yes.

Local to me (Bedford) side of field/Chicky XC, Woburn, Bridleway, etc:
    Conti Speed or Mountain Kings.
    Because: Fast rolling for the miles I do, whilst still offering up to 3 season grip on hardpack, loose stuff, etc

Away day rides/ The Peaks, Wales, North Downs, etc.
    Conti 2.3 Vertical Protections
    Because: More of a knarly grippier all season tyre for the big stuff.

Winter Slop on the HT:
    Panaracer Trailrakers:
    Nothing beats them in the really bad thick gloop imo.

It’s the reason I don’t do tubeless (tried it once and got 2 punctures in the North Downs that had to be repaired with inner tubes!!)… though friends of mine that do go tubeless tend to run ‘overkill’ tyres all year round such as Hi Rollers.

S!

RustySpanner

Just checked:

Spares are a couple of High Rollers, a Minion, Crossmark, Cinder and an Advantage.

Pair of knackered Ignitors on my bike and a knackered Cinder & Purgatory on hers.

Think we’ll be fine for a couple of years yet!

lowey

Cheers mate.. I’ll txt you to let you know. Work is hectic at the moment, but at least the kids have gone back to school to the routine is back!

jackthedog
    Free Member

Maxxis all year round: 2.4 Advantage for summer (so about 3 months), 2.1 Medusas for the rest.

Wouldn’t be without winter tyres in winter. They’re the difference between making a muddy climb and slipping out, between actually enjoying a muddy decent or merely surviving it.

It’s about the right tool for the job.

i’m fairly shit at riding a bike, so i don’t think my tyre choice makes a lot of difference.

If you’re think you’re fairly shit, you need all the help you can get. If you’re anything like my mates, you might find using proper winter tyres in winter is a revelation. You can use them all year round if you don’t mind them being a bit energy sapping in the dry.

The difference tyres can make shouldn’t be underestimated.

DezB
    Free Member

Since I put Hutchinson Toros on one bike I haven’t bothered changing them.
    Maybe I should get a set for the other bike. It usually has Larsens on it, but they’re rubbish in the wet, so get changed for Mud-x or Medusas.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Just stuck some Maxxis Advantage tyres on, to replace the Panaracer Cinders which are rubbish when its not dry.
    I’ll change to trailrakers in the winter, and then my ghetto ice-spikes if it goes cold enough. then reverese the pattern towards summer.

I change my car tyres too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve a couple of sets of summer and winter tyres.

Just put some Michelin Hot-S on the singlespeed to cope with the mixture of conditions round here at the moment.

High Rollers on the Pitch, it generaly stay’s home if it’s properly shitty and they work OK in most conditions.

DH tyres (big, dual ply, supertacky) for hollidays,

Specialized Storms for the propper mud.

Tubeless doesn’t make changeing tyres much more work, tyre off, pour sealent into cup, new tyre on, top up cup with fresh sealent, re-inflate. Might even be quicker than tubes??

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Quick poll: Changing tyres. Do people really bother? Seriously?’ is closed to new replies.