Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Quick Chain Replacement Question – save me from my own stupidity!
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

So I’m replacing my Shimano chain with a KMC jobbie which joins with a missing link. Am I right in thinking I match the chains up then take one extra link off the new chain to allow for the missing link? 😕

Sorry…this is probably, like, duh to some of you 🙂

nuke

Old chain will be stretched so the new chain will end up longer than it needs to be.

You’d be better doing the normal method of putting the new chain around the largest front ring and around the largest rear sprocket (not through the rear mech) then plus two links. It gives a good starting point and then you could reduce further if required.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Erm…it might be a case of replacing slightly borked new chain with newer chain 🙂 They’re identical in length. Old chain has only had a few 100k pre-borking.

nuke

You can’t have borked a whole chain though…can you? Admittedly I’ve borked chains before (bent links from chainsuck) but I’d just removed the dud links and connected it back up…unless the rear mech is jamming when shifting to the lowest gear because the chain is too short, it’d be fine.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I have a bit of a chain cleaning fetish – I like to be able to take chains off when cleaning the bike – hence if I get a bike with Shimano chains, I tend to replace them with removable link chains. It’s just been a while since I did it.

BigJohn

Do it as you said. That way the worst you can do is make it a bit too long. You can always shorten it.

The round the biggest sprockets is fine for a hardtail. With a susser you need to know if you might get chain growth.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s a road bike 🙂

geoffj

I tend to replace them with removable link chains. It’s just been a while since I did it.

Why not just split the shimano chain and fit a powerlink? I guess if it’s a 10 or 11 speed chain that may not be appropriate though.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Why not just split the shimano chain and fit a powerlink?

It’s a ten-speed geoff.

Can I do a powerlink on that then…say a SRAM 10 speed jobbie?

druidh
    Free Member

SRAM “quick-links” for 10-speed are called PowerLOCKS and they are a use-once option.

geoffj

I guess if it’s a 10 or 11 speed chain that may not be appropriate though.

Nope 🙁 Only us luddites still on 9sp road bikes.

RobHilton
    Free Member

If it helps at all the split links on KMC 10sp road chains are removable.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Get a Connex link on it. They’re reusable and much easier to remove. They only go on one way round so read the instructions!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

So let me get this right then fellers; I can remove a Shimano link and replace it with a Connex jobbie? 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cheers Geoff. Am on phone so will check that link later. I now have two chains for the rOad bike then. Yay.

Kahurangi

Lots of options for 10 speed ‘powerlink’ options. I had some KMC ones.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Quick Chain Replacement Question – save me from my own stupidity!’ is closed to new replies.