Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Quick, £1500 burning a hole, need a car ASAP, practical or fun?…
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

Long story short, I ended up selling the best car ive ever owned tonight despite not really wanting to.
    It was a Mk3 Golf Tdi estate. Not the most exciting car ever but im a VW fan and loved the practicality and economy.
    The car I lined up to replacement ended up being a lemon so pulled out of the deal.
    Am now carless…
    Ideally id like a cheap hack to last a year or two (think, £800?) but could probably go up to £1500 (£2k max) if the right one came along.
    Loved having an estate but could get by with something smaller.
    Being a VW fan my line up of compulsive buys currently reads like this:

Polo (9N, 1.4 16V)
    Passat B3/B4 estate
    Passat B5
    Golf Mk2 Mk3 Mk4 (estate or hatch)
    Scirocco Mk2 (check this beauty: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1986-C-Volkswagen-Scirocco-GT-Scirocco-GT-PETROL-MANUAL-/290618966861?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item43aa3d834d#ht_1901wt_1270)
    T25
    Bora
    Vento

but im willing to consider just about anything else, as long as you can provide valid reasons why I should go for it.
    Boxy = good
    reliable/economical = good

Should I go for something weird and wonderfull, sporty, sensible, all of the above?! 😕

Im a fan of anything retro.
    I also can appreciate modern(ish)

CHB

Can you fix cars? That sciroco will need some serious tlc to keep it on the road.

Kevevs
    Free Member

get an old corsa for 400 quid or something. Mod it up with the rest of the cash i.e. go down halfords and buy loads of tat to stick on it, great big bucket exhaust,lots of stickers, etc. Then go cruising round mcdonalds carpark showing off to the local teenage girls who will swoon cos you are a cool badass mofo. That’s what the lads round here do, live the teenage life you never had!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

M.

X.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

If i was you…..

V5 TASTIC

not economical but go for the 1.9td few on there. bombproof

Waderider
    Free Member

The best way to buy a car at your budget is to buy the best car you can find in the market i.e. you could be shooting yourself in the wallet by having VW tinted glasses on. Susceptible to marketing and brand image are we?

br
    Free Member

Go big, get a far better car for your money with a big engined ‘beast’.

TiRed

Vento VR6, same as your old friend, just faster and more rigid. Good luck finding one, it will probably have been an unmarked police car!

Pz_Steve

Can you fix cars? That sciroco will need some serious tlc to keep it on the road.[/quote]

Not so sure – I’ve had a Mk2 Golf a Mk3 Golf and a Mk2 Scirocco, and the Scirocco was by far the most reliable. For all that, though, Waderider is right… VWs aren’t actually that reliable / cheap-to-run / good (IME). Many Japanese makes will knock them into a cocked hat. If you see a bargain, get it, and to hell with the brand snobs and marketing junkies.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Owned 3 MX5s – all excellent.

But, I’ve also had a lowered, slightly modified 6N2 Polo GTI which was probably just as much fun to drive but had room to carry stuff in. I’d love another…

slimjim78
    Free Member

Susceptible to marketing and brand image are we?

quite the opposite actually – I poke iPod owners in the eye, and laugh at anyone wearing ‘labels’, and walk a country mile to avoid Nike sports gear if I can help it.
    Old VW’s just look better. Especially once slammed.
    Blame it on owning a beetle as a first car.
    Im not even keen on new VW’s, but as soon as they hit ‘banger’ age, they magically look smarter.

V5 TASTIC

would love to, have owned a V5 before, and driven VR6’s. great engines, tons of smile per mile. Just cant afford the fuel costs. Mortage and young child come before £20 trips down the road these days. Fuel is a killer.

Go big, get a far better car for your money with a big engined ‘beast’.

So tempted to do that. As soon as the novelty wears off ill be crying like John Terry’s life coach every time I visit the petrol station

MX5

Always had a soft spot for these. Alas, too small for my stature. Tricky to carry my bikes, & no room for the child seat!

GJP
    Free Member

The V5 was a beautiful engine, mine was the later 170bhp I assume a 16v one, rather than the earlier 150bhp 8v one, so the fuel consumption was not too bad, or at least comparable to my current 2.0T FSI Quattro.

Had a nice grunt and also very smooth but not the most free revving of engines, but I had a Honda VTI before that so not the best comparison.

Downside was the V5 went through more set of cooling fans than I care to remember. Mine had 4 sets including the original ones in the 5 1/2 years I had it from new !!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Theres an awesome looking Passat V5 Highline estate on ED38 at the moment for £1650

namastebuzz
    Free Member

If you want something cheap, reliable, comfy and economical try a Rover 75 CDTi.

I kid you not. BMW engines/gearbox and beautifully equipped in the higher trim specs.

If you want the same but with great handling try the MG ZT.

Someone on here put me on to them and I’ve never looked back since getting a lovely ZT-T CDTi. THere’s a huge body of knowledge online at the 75andZT Club. People think they’re crap coz of the Rover name but it was a car developed by BMW without constraints and it shows. There’s also a V6 and a lairy V8 (bit pricey).

All the cars you’re considering are worthwhile but the 75/ZT is worth a thought. I’ve got a T25 Westfalia as well so I like a bit of “character” too. 😉

slimjim78
    Free Member

MG-ZT(T)..nice.. I must be a sadist, its almost too nice!

chrisjnr
    Free Member

Similair to djaustin, mate, got a rather beautiful example of a Corrado VR6 a couple weeks back for £2,500. If you’ll go ‘high-miler’ I’m sure it’d pay off, had a drive the other day; and that engine is rather spectacular for its age. We worked out, in the last week… he’s averaged 27 mpg in town, though I’d guess it’d be much better on longer- motorway commutes. Spacious too, fit 4 grown men in comfortably, plus the boot space is excellent, transported a V6 in it the other day!

Also, am slightly craving an original Sirocco at the moment, after the next door neighbour finished his ‘Project Sirocco’ last night. Looks pretty darn gorgeous, though he did splash out on a brand new- replica interior to compliment the white exterior 😯 . 1983 I believe it is so a Sirocco 2?…

molgrips
    Free Member

I had a B4 estate and, whilst a nice car overall, it rolled a hell of a lot and wasn’t particulary comfy after a long drive. My sister otoh has made a rare good car purchase in the form of a 90k miles R reg B5 Passat for £1300. It’s a far better car.

stevemtb
    Free Member

That’ll just about see you in a Volvo 850 T-5R with around 300bhp (if it’s been remapped). Sensible estate and great straight line pace.

domwells27
    Free Member

You could buy my Corrado G60 for 700 then spend the rest putting a new engine in……..

flatfish
    Free Member

I’ve got an A3 for sale, it’ll be in auto trader next week.
    Looking for £1500-1800.
    Mail me if your intrested.

godzilla
    Free Member

Save a bit more and get a Fabia vrs. If not then a Polo Gti is in your budget.

NorthernStar
    Free Member

Polo (9N, 1.4 16V)
    Passat B3/B4 estate
    Passat B5
    Golf Mk2 Mk3 Mk4 (estate or hatch)
    Scirocco Mk2
    T25
    Bora
    Vento

Not being funny but you can’t really describe any of those cars as being ‘FUN’ to drive – apart from the MK2 Golf if it’s in Gti form. Passat is quite possibly (with the exception of the Vauxhall Vectra) the dullest car to drive that has ever been produced.

If you’re going to spend 1.5k and enjoy it, and you like retro then I’d be tempted to take a bit of a risk – hell you only live once. Why not spend your money like this:

155mph, 0-100 in 14.5 secs, seats 4 in comfort, will take a snowboard or mountain bike inside. What’s not to like.

Or if you want a VW then how about this:

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Well I started off reading this thinking you like fun cars then you go and list lots of boring cars!

Fun car at that price would = Mazda MX5 or Suzuki Cappuccino

A mate of mine had one of those Fiat things, quick in a straight line but awful round corners if attempting to use any of the power.

hora
    Free Member

As above – I’m passively keeping alook out for a decent 850 T5 estate. The 2.3 engine is virtually bombproof.

5lab

if you’re a vag lover (hehehe) what about a 924 or 944? will get a bike in, fun, cheap. what’s not to like?

NorthernStar
    Free Member

A mate of mine had one of those Fiat things, quick in a straight line but awful round corners if attempting to use any of the power

Guessing the suspension must have been shot then? Wishbones can wear quickly and lead to sloppy handling. A well looked after Coupe will handle very nicely and corner faster than most things on the road. Okay it’s no go cart, more of a GT car but it’s still handles pretty well.

MX5 is a great car, if you can look past the slightly camp image but how would you get a bike in there? Suzuki Cappucino err . . . . . . . perhaps a little bit too gay 😕

NorthernStar
    Free Member

850 T5 as Hora said is a great car, if you can live with the fuel economy and don’t mind a bit of wheelspin. Built like a breese block! Plenty around for less than £1.5k

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Suzuki Cappucino err . . . . . . . perhaps a little bit too gay”

One of the best cars I have ever owned and driven 😆

5lab

mx5 can have a bike on the pass seat, on a boot rack or on some saris bones 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I kid you not. BMW engines/gearbox and beautifully equipped in the higher trim specs.

Not 100% correct, but close enough to make them a bargain.

KV6 engine if you want to go anywhere in a hurry/lots of noise :D.

hora
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – just sent you an email

5lab

mustang v8 engine if you want to go anywhere in a hurry/lots of noise :D.

ftfy 🙂

slimjim78
    Free Member

Ha, so I like boring cars? it must be true!

Fun to me is more about the look I guess, I cant afford a true ‘drivers’ car as they are fdar too juicy for my monthly budget

Corrado, T5, Fiat Coupe, all great and have all been considered at least once at some point in the past, but probably when petrol cost lest than £1 per litre.

Remember my criteria: cheap, able to take child seat without much fuss, reliable, economical, boxy, retro(ish), ability to carry bikes

I dont want much! 🙂

Am currently negiotiating on a 91 Golf Mk2 Driver, 1 onwer, zero rust, low miles, 1.6auto box – whaddya reckon?

Did I mention I have a set of G60 steel wheels that im keen to use on my next car? Yes thats right, im choosing my next car on the basis that a set of wheels will fit. Mental.

5lab

Am currently negiotiating on a 91 Golf Mk2 Driver, 1 onwer, zero rust, low miles, 1.6auto box – whaddya reckon?

I think I’d rather walk. won’t be particularly economical either

924 is probably no worse on fuel. its got a vw engine in it. Won’t fit the wheels though..

hora
    Free Member

91 VW Golf 1.6 auto? I reckon £450 tops?

924 and 944 are actually good cars!

slimjim78
    Free Member

please dont make me look at porsche’s, I love them!.. ‘clicks onto autotrader’…

brassneck

M.

X.

Again.

brassneck

MX5 is a great car, if you can look past the slightly camp image

Last person who made any such comments (the usual ‘hairdresser’ one) I nearly made physically sick in it. He retracted the comment sometime later. Still miss that car.

Go on a track, with someone who can drive it. Best automotive fun you can get for a grand, no doubt in my mind, and cheap enough to keep running.

slimjim78
    Free Member

rubbish with child seats and bikes though

NorthernStar
    Free Member

Last person who made any such comments (the usual ‘hairdresser’ one) I nearly made physically sick in it.

Why what did you do – tickle his balls?

Only joking. The MX5 is a great car no doubts about it. You have to admit though that however well it handles on a track, it does have a bit of a camp reputation.

Not necessarily a bad thing but I’d say that 90% of MX5’s you see are driven by women. In the same way that 90% of Lotus Elise’s/TVR’s etc are driven by men. I guess he’d struggle to get a Lotus for £1.5k though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Quick, £1500 burning a hole, need a car ASAP, practical or fun?…’ is closed to new replies.