Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • QR -> 15mm Maxle adapter, any point?
  • mattjg
    Free Member

My Hope hub is QR, I’m looking at buying forks with 15mm Maxle, I have an adapter.

Will this give a performance benefit? Or do I need a 15mm hub to get that? If so who makes them?

Ta.

neninja
    Free Member

I’m not sure if you’re joking or not.

Once you put the 15mm adapters in the Hope hub it will become a 15mm hub.

mattjg
    Free Member

I’m not joking, I’m trying to figure it out before I drop any cash.

So the difference between 9mm QR & 15mm Maxxle-light isn’t the diameter of the axle shaft, it’s just a different interface between the hub and the forks?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

yes it is the diameter.

15mm is bigger than 9mm so you need a different hole.

The adaptors make the hole in the hub bigger for the bigger axle.

mattjg
    Free Member

OK ta, I’ll go look at the bits again.

Is it a worthwhile upgrade for ‘technical XC” ?

nbt

So the difference between 9mm QR & 15mm Maxxle-light isn’t the diameter of the axle shaft, it’s just a different interface between the hub and the forks?

No, it’s both. the axle is different, and the hub / fork interface allows for that.

In “9mm qr”, you have a 9mm axle in the hub, the middle of which is hollow so a QR may pass through. The QR is about 5mm I think?. Each end of the QR tightens up against the outside of the fork dropouts.

In “15mm”, the hole is 15mm diameter. Using the Maxle-light system, one end of the 15mm QR screws into the forks, and the other end tightens against the outside of the fork.

wwaswas

which hope hub is it? If it’s the XC you can’t change it, Pro2 you can.

I have the same model (Marz 44 Micro Ti) of forks running QR on one bike and 15mm on another – both with Hope hubs. I couldn;t hand on heart say there’s a world of difference between them but I convince myself the 15mm tracks better on roots and stuff.

nickhart
    Free Member

the 15mm system is far stiffer than the standard qr. whether you feel it or not is another question. the 15mm is safer as there is no chance of the brakes forcing the qr out of the drop outs as has happened a few times in the past with dyer concequence.
    the adapters in the hope wheel are brilliant. the maxle is good just make sure you use copper grease on it so it doesn’t bind to the bearings in your hub.

mattjg
    Free Member

Hub is Pro2 Evo, so I’m good there.

nbt: ta for the explanation.

RustyMac

Your Pro2 Evo hub is designed to work with all the common axle sizes (using different adapters) QR, 15mm and 20mm. The adapters are easy to change there is a video on the hope web site.

By increasing the axle size it helps reduce twisting forces applied to the fork by the wheel going over rough terrain.

mattjg
    Free Member

The adapters are easy to change there is a video on the hope web site.

Can’t find this vid, can anyone point me to it?

Thx

mattjg
    Free Member

ok so this looks to be the 20mm conversion (nothing to it)

coatesy
    Free Member

Even easier than 20mm(no circlips needed), pull end caps off, push new ones in. The only problem may be the old ones being tight to remove.

mattjg
    Free Member

brill ta

mattjg
    Free Member

Done, as advised this is a non-job. Pull out the QR interface, put in the 15mm interface (nice and straight).

The hubs have 6 months use and no previous service, the QRs just came straight off.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘QR -> 15mm Maxle adapter, any point?’ is closed to new replies.