Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Putting grips onto carbon bars
  • Karinofnine

I have always had alloy bars and used WD40 to lubricate. Now I have carbon bars, can I still use WD or will it do something bad to the carbon?

(You can see, can’t you, that despite having bought these bloody bars, and all that you guys have said about carbon bars, AND the fact they are guaranteed for five years, I am still not convinced about them!)

RealMan
    Free Member

No, don’t use wd40, oil and carbon don’t mix. If they’re lock ons, a bit of carbon paste perhaps. If they’re slip ons, get some lock ons.

tazzymtb

if they are non lock on grips a tiny dab of puncture repair cement will ease them on and ensure they don’t move until you want them to come off. my bonty superlight foam grips have stayed in place for years with lots of abuse.

other than that a wee bit of spit, I know it’s not ladylike but it works a treat to slip grips on.

IainGillam
    Free Member

Not sure on the carbon bars front but I wouldn’t be putting lubricant near grips in any case (not exactly a component I want to move freely!)

Iain

rOcKeTdOg

i wouldn’t have carbon bars….*shudders*

DT78
    Free Member

I just use water on mine…

Karinofnine

rOcKeTdOg – Member

i wouldn’t have carbon bars….*shudders*

DON’T! 😆

That’s exactly how I felt, but was assured by the good citizens of STW that carbon bars are fine…

I’m sort of wiggling them on at the moment, reasonably successfully, although the action is making me laugh.

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

the zip tie trick works well. hairspray is good too. but i dont know if you could use hair spray on a carbon bar? http://bmx.transworld.net/1000089296/features/everything-you-need-to-know-about-putting-grips-on-a-bike/

brownix
    Free Member

yeah the zip tie trick works great, gets them on like that *clicks fingers*
    all you need is like 10 zip ties, and you just position them on around the inside of the grip. then pull the grip on untill its in the right position. Then pull out the zipties. Sorted!

Karinofnine

Done! Thanks all.

Wiggling and water. I hope the water dries out before I ride it tomorrow.

The zip tie thing sounds fiendishly fiddly btw.

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

we use hairspray at the shop most of the time. it works a treat. the zip tie thing does work but yes its a wee bit fiddly. x

andycs

Hairspray, works everytime.

rOcKeTdOg

no evidence for why i don’t trust them, i just think i’m to heavy and they’ll shatter (especially in the -5 i was riding in today)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Putting grips onto carbon bars’ is closed to new replies.