Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Psa. F1 the killer years
  • grim168
    Free Member

Just watched it on iplayer and found it moving and quite shocking but a cracking documentary. I’m a fan of f1 but don’t think you need to be to enjoy it.

Graham.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yup, hate F1 but I watched that a while ago n it were really good

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Good programme but the drivers getting burnt alive wasn’t nice at all.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Shocking, unsettling, but very good tv.

Tom83

Agree with Stuart, enjoyed it, but was a bit shocked that the drivers carried on racing whilst one of their own was being burnt to death. Very sad.

donsimon
    Free Member

Lived through a few in my younger years, Villeneuve, Peterson and Pryce and of course a bit later Senna, to name just a few, together with accidents like Lauda’s.
    I wouldn’t want to revisit these scenes.
    Let’s just hope that not one of the deaths was in vain.

andyl
    Free Member

ahh is it still on iplayer? I thought it was being removed last week so I downloaded it. Good program but could have been 2-3x longer as they missed some stuff.

Really does go to show how bad things were – very ignorant of the track owners and the governing body. The drivers buying their own portable hospital was shocking and it has really given a good insight into Jackie Stewarts importance in safety. There was a horrible crash they missed with a driver being killed when a marshal ran out into the track. The marshals fire extinguisher killed the driver by smashing into his helmet and the marshal was ripped apart by the GP car hitting him.

I sometimes wonder how many lives Senna has saved following his crash. He was president of the GPDA when he died which really gets the message home that things needed looking into as they were starting to get dangerous again.

donsimon
    Free Member

There was a horrible crash they missed with a driver being killed when a marshal ran out into the track. The marshals fire extinguisher killed the driver by smashing into his helmet and the marshal was ripped apart by the GP car hitting him.

That sounds like Tom Pryce, local boy, from Ruthin. 😥

nitrambocg

Didnt think there awas any detail filmage of the horrible incident that befell Tom Price ?

coatesy
    Free Member

Worth getting Jackie Stewart’s autobiography for a real insight into those years, absolutely awesome book, and worth every penny.

andyl
    Free Member

might actually put his book on my Xmas list! family are fed up buying me random bike parts they don’t think are presents. The missus still refuses to accept that a good torque wrench is actually a VERY good present 🙁

bawbag
    Free Member

I hadn’t heard of the Tom Pryce accident before. There is footage on youtube but be warned, it’s not nice.

andyl
    Free Member

and yeah it was Tom Pryce. As for footage there is some very graphic stuff out there so discretion advised. The best video is the combined footage which shows it all but doesnt sensationalise it.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The Tom Pryce incident in the 70’s I assumed had been a tragic lesson learnt forever in F1, then only a few months ago it was nearly relived when some idiot marshal leaped onto the track to pick up bits of carbon and there was nearly a repeat. Someone might find the youtube vid of it.

donsimon
    Free Member

Didnt think there awas any detail filmage of the horrible incident that befell Tom Price ?

Maybe you’re looking for the wrong thing, it’s PRYCE. 😉
    Greatest Welsh F1 driver, ever. FACT.

PJM1974
    Free Member

A shocking period in the sport, no doubt.

I do like the stories relayed via Bette Hill, who tells of inebriated drivers at Monaco post-qualifying who had a bet as to whether car headlights would work underwater. This was resolved when a German driver drove a Beetle hire car into the hotel pool. There was also the tale of the Monaco hotel manager who discovered another Beetle which had been smuggled in bits over the course of a weekend and which had been subsequently reassembled in a bedroom after a drunken bet.

The statistics may have been a tragedy, but the camaraderie is something sadly missing today.

grtdkad

Jackie Stewart really is a legend. Far more than I appreciated prior to watching this …

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

And this was only a few months ago
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNS0KLHKHv4[/video]

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It’s a shame the modern sport uses this ‘danger’ element as a selling point when quite frankly todays F1 is nothing in comparison.

Still interesting to note that a lot of the racers from by gone eras think F1 today is too safe and dull to race in and would choose to race back in the day over the modern era.

nixie

Doesn’t seem to be available any more. was going to watch it. Oh well.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

it’s Grand Prix the killer years on you tube I think

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Psa. F1 the killer years’ is closed to new replies.