Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • PSA – Brian Cox back on the tellybox tonight….
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

BBC2, 2100

🙂

(Sorry for earlier one, mods… 😳 )

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Naughty boy!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My first official loblocking as well. 😳

Still, really looking forward to this. If it’s half as good as his first show it’ll be superb. Really good to see someone presenting science without dumbing it down.

Stoner
    Free Member

is fanny a naughty word then?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

BAN HIM! 😉

rOcKeTdOg

Brian Cox?

Moses
    chewkw
    Free Member

So what are we going to learn from Prof Cox ❓

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Chewkw – you may learn nothing, but i’m going to learn that there are still people out there that love what they do for a living and maybe a bit about the concept of time too.

chewkw
    Free Member

Surrounded By Zulus – Member

Chewkw – you may learn nothing, but i’m going to learn that there are still people out there that love what they do for a living and maybe a bit about the concept of time too.

True, true but try not to worship celebrities …

… my head hurts.

GJP
    Free Member

We may learn that time slows down if only we were all to stop fannying around on STW.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What are we going to learn?

Who are we? Where do we come from? For thousands of years humanity has turned to religion and myth for answers to these enduring questions. But in this series, Brian presents a different set of answers – answers provided by science.

Either way, it’s not about celebrity (He doesn’t see himself as one, nor does he want to be one), it’s about seeking to understand things, it’s about science, it’s about thinking, it’s about realising that being intelligent and learning is a wonderful thing.

🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

More Big Bang Bollocks I should think.

nickhart
    Free Member

fascinating subject but he winds me up more than top gear.

brakes
    Free Member

no-one likes Uranus more than me, but I now find Cox a bit annoying
    a bit like his old band D:Ream

CountZero

deadlydarcy – Member
    More Big Bang Bollocks I should think.

So sez Prof. DD, Chair of Astrophysics, Warralamu University.

grtdkad

One million, trillion, xilliom, squillion, pillion, willion, quillion, 000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 😯

iDave
    Free Member

1.2 Brazilians etc

Drac

Well that was tedious I’ve enjoyed tooth extractions more than that. Space with all it’s amazing facts but some how made excidingly dull.

grtdkad

TBH I quite enjoyed the analogies showing the decay – particularly the bits from the Skeleton Coast and the diamond mine anyway

billysugger
    Free Member

If it’d been produced in a ‘looking at images of stars for an hour’ way many people would have tuned out. He’s there to try and make the layman look upwards. Thought it was pretty good but then I’d have enjoyed it just for some nice camera work.

Yep, I’m like that.

I’d put my dog on a million-billion-million sketch being on Harry Hill’s show this week

bluefish
    Free Member

hi

i just watched it and it was good but if i understood correctly he was saying the big bang started things, then it all turns to nothing or timelessness, so where did the big bang come from? nothing?
    and if time dosent exist then there is no time then nothing exists for no time so would instantly end, prehaps with a big bang?
    sozz about the spelling 🙂

aP
    Free Member

It’s impossible to turn the tv on at the moment without seeing him. How long before he ends up on Mock the Week?

Drac

Yeah the camera work was superb, the analogies were helpful but he dragged them
    out. Maybe it was just his voice he tried to sound enthusiastic about it but he droned on.

I’ll still watch next weeks though.

Klunk
    Free Member

didn’t watch it, was he gazing wistfully at sky by any chance ?

rOcKeTdOg

did he really have to go to Argentina to look at a glacier and then africa to build a sand castle?

licence payers fee refund please

Nick

The whole thing was a profound observation about how marvelous it is that considering that the period during which the universe could support life (i.e. now), as a percentage of it’s entire lifespan, was utterly insignificant when placed in the context of deep time, yet amazingly we are here to experience it and that this opportunity is in itself enough of a reason to be.

I actually think it was one of the best science programmes I’ve ever watched, I wasn’t sure where it was going for the first 30 mins but by the end it all made perfect sense.

It also reminded me of the 6am sunrise conversations after a night out clubbing 🙂 , which was nice.

Cougar

You know, I try to be objective, but some things I just don’t understand.

I’m not talking about the show, I’m talking about some people’s attitudes on here. We’re subjected to daily “Extreme I’m barely a celebrity’s big brother on ice factor in the talented desert, take me out with a high-power rifle” type shows, which anyone with an IQ above that of a warm glass of water is sick to the back teeth of now (and let’s be honest, we only watched them in the first place on the offchance that someone would go for that career-rebooting bikini ‘accident’). Now we’re finally getting something aimed at people who can breathe with their mouth closed and it’s all “that bloody Brian Cox, he’s on the telly all the time, he’s a celebrity whilst simultaneously being slightly serious, wah wah wah.”

C’mon people, what do we have to do here? Is it the programme that’s at fault, is it not quality viewing unless someone ends up in a gunge tank? Or is it really Brian Cox, should we see if Timmy Mallet and Keith Chegwin are available?

Christ, you’ve spent the last month and a half whining about how crap / silly Top Gear is, seemingly with some sort of genetic finger retardation issue which stops you from changing channels on the remote. What were you expecting in week six after watching the first five weeks, Hammond finally killing himself on live TV and Clarkson nailing the strategically placed blonde in the front row on the wipe-clean seats whilst James May provides a voice-over; star in a reasonably priced car this week are Girls Aloud who insist on doing the show naked, And Finally they reveal The Stig to be Chuck Norris who then kills everybody?

Messiah on a velocipede, there’s no pleasing some people.

rkk01
    Free Member

Didn’t watch – somehow his stuff hasn’t really captured my imagination 🙁

On the other hand, as undergrad geology students we were mightily impressed that Profs Cox, Wright and Upton had a mineral named after themselves*… 😆
    * allegedley, funnily, could never find coxwrightuptonite in the mineral reference books…

kimbers

well I thought it was excellent and looked lovely in HD even coxys next catalogue poses on top of mountains I wanted a bit more science in some bits, eg
    no mention of redshifting of that super ancient star

and completely agree about the rest of tv being mostly dross

miketually
    Free Member

There were a few “isn’t he lovely?” and “hasn’t he got gorgeous brown eyes?” moments, but it got my wife watching a science programme and I got a chance to remind her just how bloody clever I am by pre-empting his use of key words and phrases.

He does have good hair though.

WackoAK
    Free Member

lol at the tag, not watched it yet but will be heading to iplayer later. The first series was good so I’m expecting more of the same.

miketually
    Free Member

Which genius at the BBC scheduled Wonders Of The Universe, Being Human and a repeat of Electric Dreams for the same time?

There can’t be any crossover audience between science, vampires/werewolves/ghosts and computers, can there? They should have put something about comics on their fourth channel at the same time. And maybe an interview with Dawkins on radio 4.

Drac

Cougar when’s that episode of Top Gear on I don’t want to miss that, best Star in Reasonably priced car yet I bet.

I wasn’t sure where it was going for the first 30 mins but by the end it all made perfect sense.

Yeah exactly accept that I was loosing interest at the end.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Isn’t star formation entropy running in the wrong direction? That is going from high entropy – gas clouds of hydrogen, to low entropy – stars? Or did I misunderstand the whole entropy thing. Isn’t the whole stellar phase of the universe lower entropy than the big bang/inflation stage? My brain hurts!

DezB
    Free Member

It was pretty good, certainly thought provoking. But was so tired after driving to Wales on Saturday that I kept falling asleep so went to bed before the end.
    I always get slightly annoyed (maybe annoyed is the wrong word) when these scientist fellows go on about time not being able to go backwards. Obviously not, because ‘time’ is the human measurement of time moving forwards!
    Do find the ‘sexy scientist’ angle of it all a bit odd though.

MrOvershoot

Nick – Member
    I actually think it was one of the best science programmes I’ve ever watched, I wasn’t sure where it was going for the first 30 mins but by the end it all made perfect sense.

I wasn’t sure where it was going for the first 30 mins but by the end it had me thinking so much I didn’t sleep very well

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Cougar +1.

So, it banged (we don’t know why), then there’s us. After a bit there’s no us, but everything runs down and stops. After trillions and trillions and gazillions of years. For ever.

Blimey. How bizarre is that?

Nick

Isn’t star formation entropy running in the wrong direction? That is going from high entropy – gas clouds of hydrogen, to low entropy – stars? Or did I misunderstand the whole entropy thing. Isn’t the whole stellar phase of the universe lower entropy than the big bang/inflation stage? My brain hurts!

But as I understand it, what entropy does is gradually, over a million billion trillion years, turn all matter into heat and light and disperse it, like sand in the wind, things can be ‘created’ along the way, like the sand castle, but they will entropy eventually.

What I’m struggling with is how it will actually ever truly get to the point where it never changes, ok so as the universe gets closer and closer to absolute zero things will slow down, but will it every actually get to that point where there is no energy left at all?

Does make your head hurt in a standing on the edge of a vertiginous and bottomless cliff where if you fell off you would fall forever, sort of way.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Even spread of identical protons and nowt else. Therefore, no gravity. Therefore, stasis.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Brian Cox back on the tellybox tonight….’ is closed to new replies.