Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Projectors / Home Cinema
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Daft idea forming in the back of my head, talk me out of it.

Is it possible to buy a 1080p projector that’ll project a resnobly good picture onto a white sheet/wall for a comparable ammount of money to a TV?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Idea has been buzzing in my head for a few years, and I know someone who has it working fine but he has got it on the cheap. Bulb performance is an issue, as is the fact that just flicking on the TV to watch the news means pulling down a screen and the projector is a big hefty mofo suspended from the ceiling, humming away.

oink
    Free Member

yes, used to use a white wall before i bought a screen – projector cost me about £800 – you’ll need a dark room though, unless you’re willing to compromise on picture quality or price

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

My old meeting room at work used to have a projector throwing the image onto a plain white wall, worked well and was awesome for unreal tournament (about 4m across).

The issue with projectors is always how well they perform in lit conditions. If you like to watch in cinema mode with dimmed or no lights then even a fairly modestly priced projector will be a pretty good experience. If you want something to work in a lit room then your gonna be spending big bucks to up the lumens and to be honest it will never really be that great.

What size area will you be projecting onto?

[edit]
    We just used regular white emulsion although we did discover that you could get special paint that was supposed to give a better image, but it was expensive and the regular paint was good enough so we never bothered to try it.

handyman153
    Free Member

I have got one in my bedroom.
    It ceiling mounted, and projects onto a very light ‘grey wall’. Picture quility is great, perfect for XBOX and DVD’s.
    Only 1 thing i found it struggled with is live sport, like football. Picture gets a little bit grainy.

Will pop a picture up when i get back from work..
    Josh..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Projectors / Home Cinema’ is closed to new replies.