Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • pro bike fit/setup
  • verticalclimber
    Free Member

1st of all guys happy new year to one and all.

anyone had a bike fit done at corridori ? mainly interested in what you thought about the foot side of it as that is what i suffer from the most. if not at corridori any recommendations for south east area.

cheers

GlennG
    Free Member

Not had one done at Corridori but had a fitting with my local bike shop in Chichester (geared bikes and wear), was very good as my posture on the bike was causing back problems, for me the changes made to the bike from the fitting have been well worth the outlay for the fitting, no more knee or back problems.

fizzer
    Free Member

I can recommend these guys although not near to you

Welcome to NJD Sports Injury & Bike Fit Centre Clitheroe

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    crikey
    Free Member

Bikejames is just another example of the whole bikefit charade; you are paying for one persons prejudice as far as a fit is concerned. It’s not rocket science, just take your time and learn how you ride and how you like your bike set up. Stop trying to buy the perfect fit, it won’t happen…

nmdbase
    Free Member

Did you read it?

jimjam
    Free Member

Was just going to post that I had my doubts about the effectiveness of bike fitting for mtb, then saw the link to bikejames’ article. Glad to see I’m not alone.

I’ve little doubt it’s great for road, and everyone I’ve spoken to who’s had it done for their road bike has had improvements. I went through basic bike fit training with a very clever and highly qualified fitter. At the end of the session I asked him how much of it was applicable/transferable to mtb and he just replied “all of it” at which point I realised none of it was.

verticalclimber
    Free Member

meant to say its for my road bike, cheers for links

downshep

That bikejames link doesn’t make sense to me. Take time setting up your position and you can pedal more efficiently with less backache. Yes, trail riding brings some compromises but most people spend most time in the saddle, particularly when climbing those long fire roads that need a good rhythm for progress. Can’t understand why positioning would be dismissed because we ride off road.

skywalker
    Free Member

I was trying to find his article on SPD’s but he seems to have removed it. Maybe he finally realised he was talking absolute BS.

No doubt the bike fit one will disappear soon.

deanfbm
    Free Member

I’m all for that bikejames article.

I’m a BMXer, i approach bike selection from a handling viewpoint, not “fit” as such, fit in the saddle is an after thought.

AS I see it what separates trail/all mtn from xc is that it is based around being “technical” rather than getting your head down and churning out as many miles, as quick as possible.

Obviously trail riding is going to involve some miles in the saddle to reserve energy for the downs, but you can’t have you cake and eat it as it were, normally better fit in the saddle doesn’t mean better handling.

Also I know everyone wants to be a badass technical rider, but a lot of the time people are just xc riders too unfit for XC and lack technical ability, get trail/all mtn bikes then try to turn them into XC bikes which isn’t going to yield the best results.

I agree with the article that trail riding should involve more out of the saddle attacking than in the saddle plodding along, but fitness prevents that for most.

But it is all just bikes at the end of the day, there’s no rules, everyone should enjoy it in every which way they deem fit.

These are just ramblings, take it as you want.

OP – definitely get fitted on your road bike though.

traildog
    Free Member

He hasn’t taken down the article about SPDs, that is how I first started to follow the bikejames site. It’s one persons view and you can take or ignore as much as it as you want, but I always enjoy reading and hearing his view.
    I’ve had terrible knee problems this year and enjoyed njdinjuries advice and help to get me going again, although I still had slight pain. Speedplay pedals was his main recommendation (along with lots of help fitting), which are great on the road but I hated them offroad.

I then decided I was a mountain biker rather than a road rider (which cause the pain in the first place) and decided to chuck the spds in the bin and use flat pedals, and it’s only then since this that my pain has totally gone away. Going to give the flats a go on the road (commuting) soon.

skywalker
    Free Member

He hasn’t taken down the article about SPDs

He has definitely taken the original article down and replaced it with this

In the original article I did prove him wrong, he disliked the fact so much he deleted all my comments before removing it all together.

crikey
    Free Member

The guy has been riding mountain bikes since….

…wait for it….

…the year 2000…

…and comes across as yet another opinionated ‘I know everything’ type.

Bike fit is much more about seperating inexperienced people from their money than about helping out.

skywalker
    Free Member

The guy has been riding mountain bikes since….

…wait for it….

…the year 2000…

…and comes across as yet another opinionated ‘I know everything’ type.

Who, BikeJames?

crikey
    Free Member

Yaarp.

skywalker
    Free Member

He is a c*ck

crikey
    Free Member

I concur.

He’s a fool, and opinionated, and comes across as a more than a little simple.

Wookster

Had a fit for a road bike done at Rock and Road in Southampton. Best money I’ve spent on a road bike by far mate. Made a huge difference to how I feel on the bike and after. Really can’t recommend it enough.

Sandwich

+1 for the concurring. But I’m always suspicious of evangelists.

traildog
    Free Member

I’d be interested to see the original article? Anyone got a copy?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘pro bike fit/setup’ is closed to new replies.