Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Printing fliers
  • sc-xc

I am getting some fliers done for my kickboxing club – these seem pretty cheap at £40 for 5000 A6 double sided colour 130gsm:

creativeprinter.co.uk

One thing that confuses me though…on the website is says:

Finished Size: 105 mm x 148 mm
    Artwork: 111 mm x 154 mm

How would the artwork be bigger than the finished size?

nickjb
    Free Member

They crop it to size and have a bleed round the edge to allow for mis-alignment. Basically don’t design it so what is right at the edge is critical

sc-xc

Ok cheers….am I best to design the thing in a box of say 103 x 146 to be on the safe side?

Unless someone wants to design this flier for me? It’ll need a pie chart and I want it in an hours time….

nickjb
    Free Member

Basically assume the worst, that they crop it as bad as it possibly coulbe be, would it still look ok? Things like avoiding having a neat border or text up against an edge will help. I’d put everything critical within 100×140 or so and just have patterns or background images going right to the edge.

sc-xc

Cheers nick…I’ll get my crayons out!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

As a rule, don’t put anything closer than 5mm from the trim (10mm to be really safe).

sc-xc

Cheers mf…

When you say ‘trim’ – you mean 5mm in from the finished size?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

When you say ‘trim’ – you mean 5mm in from the finished size?

Yes that’s right – when it is printed, it is printed on to paper that is bigger than the finished size so they can print to the very edges – and that is why you ‘bleed’ over the edges (to ensure any ink covers the page completely). Then they *trim* to the exact size. For something A6 I would say a 5mm ‘gutter’ would be right (giving a 95mm x 138mm ‘safe area’).

A6 is small for a flyer though – it is just postcard size have you cut a piece of paper to size and are you happy with that?

sc-xc

Cheers mf – yeah, I know postcard size is small, but it’s perfectly designed 😉

This way I can get 5000 through local doors. Assuming 99% of people will automatically disregard it anyway, I (perhaps wrongly) figured I would double my chances by going smaller/higher volume.

I have just spent 40 minutes fumbling around MS Publisher to put it together…shall I post the results up for y’all to ridicule?

tron
    Free Member

At 40 quid you will be getting a pretty no frills service.

Stick to getting the basics right.

I’d suggest proofing it extremely carefully and then getting a mate to proof it again, because I doubt the printer will checking it for errors!

geoffj

I have just spent 40 minutes fumbling around MS Publisher to put it together…shall I post the results up for y’all to ridicule?

😯

sc-xc

Here we go then.

Please, fire away. Creativity is as far away from my day job as it’s possible to get. I just want more students…side 1 & 2….

[/url]
    BMKA flyer by santacruzxc, on Flickr[/img]

BMKA flyer 3 by santacruzxc, on Flickr

(tel. numbers removed to stop you wierdos sending me sex texts….)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I know you have taken the phone number off but you need to have BIG calls to action, prices, deals etc.

Not bad for a first time effort – perhaps a bit BNP with the flag!

sc-xc

Yeah, I did think that mf, but I am a small part of a big association….run by this guy

and he did the branding. The flags are his, the rest you can rip to shreds!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And do you have written permission for using the pictures (esp the children). Could be world of shit if not and a parent takes offence.

sc-xc

(I was trying to get an idea of inclusivity with the pic on side 1 , and appeal to those that might have more ‘macho’ aspirations with the pics on side 2….)

– and all pics of the website, and are used in brochures/manual/different club fliers currently

nickjb
    Free Member

(I was trying to get an idea of inclusivity with the pic on side 1 , and appeal to those that might have more ‘macho’ aspirations with the pics on side 2….)

The image is fine, but you need model release forms for anybody that is recognisable.

sc-xc

Ok – I am at a meeting with them all on Saturday and I’ll run it by them. The existing fliers they have are a bit similar (same top/tail flag) and have at one point used the same images.

Good points though….should I make the text boxes bigger?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What is the type size? Given final size is A6 I guess it is small – body text should be 8pt minimum.

If you email me (in profile) I think I have a model release form your could send you as a template.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

– and all pics of the website, and are used in brochures/manual/different club fliers currently
    POSTED 6 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Just seen this bit – you should be okay then as they are already in the public domain.

sc-xc

I think the smallest type is 12, bigger is 16.

I’ll mail you now mf – and thanks to everyone for the help. I couldn’t afford the design costs on top of print costs!

printingdeals
    Free Member

You will always notice that art work size is always bigger than the finished size since finished sized is the overall size of a flyer including the trim part.So art work size is always greater approximately 3 mm greater than finished size

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Printing fliers’ is closed to new replies.