Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • pre-school bike lessons
  • exile_smoggy

For some reason my 4 year old daughter has lost her bottle when it comes to cycling. She’s quite happy under water at swimming lessons and horse riding but can’t/won’t get on her bike. She asks to go on her bike but decides at the last minute she wants to go in her bike seat.

We’ve tried an Early Rider and she’s got a Ridgeback with stabilisers. She’s never managed to pedal “full circles” she just pedals half a turn then back, so only uses one leg and doesn’t really get going.

We think there’s a common theme here – she loves to impress people and we (as her parents) don’t count. At swimming she’s come on loads since the parents aren’t in the water any more, horse riding she’s in a class with older kids etc.

I think the answer may be a lesson or two so there is a teacher to impress. Anyone know of any pre-school cycling classes, Bikeability looks a bit old/advanced. Although I’m gutted it’s probably not going to be me who gets her pedaling properly and ditching the stabilisers, I think this may be the best way forward.

I’ve thought about asking a riding mate to give her a “lesson” but she’s not daft and will probably know there’s something up if there aren’t other kids trying to learn too.

wwaswas

do you know any other families with kids the same age – just arrange to meet up at a flat, open space so the kids ‘can have a ride together’ – probably doesn’t need to be anythign more formal than that?

exile_smoggy

We don’t know many families with kids same age locally. Izzy know loads of other kids from nursery and swimming/horses but we don’t know the parents well enough really.

Maybe I’ll just tell her to GTFU 😈

takisawa2

exile_smoggy…If your anywhere near Shropshire then pencil in the Islabikes Fun day, think its the 26th March. My two were waning a bit last year, but after spending the day there with loads of other kids, they came on leaps & bounds. Fantastic to watch them all wobbling around in safety. Brilliant day. They’ll even lend you a bike, & their staff worked wonders getting my eldest riding on his own.

lipseal
    Free Member

Took my 4 yr old out last Saturday, just me and her. She’s not sat on the bike before Christmas I only suggested shall we go to dobbies and buy a shrimp for the fish tank. Took two hours to go about 2 miles but that’s the furthest she has been. So I wouldn’t worry too much just suggest going to the shops or park etc.

exile_smoggy

takisawa2 – we’re in Stockport so the Islabikes Fun day might be a goer, thanks.

I’m probably just over thinking it all in my desperation to get her into bikes before horses take over – been through that with the OH. I know at some point it will just click (did with swimming), guess I need to wait for the right opportunity, make sure we’ve got the bike when we’re out and about and not put too much pressure on her.

‘Spose if they’re off playing with horses it gives me plenty of free time to get out biking though 🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Bribery with custard creams did it for me:

🙂

big_n_daft
    Free Member

It’s all about creating a happy atmosphere, is something else troubling her, for example has she dumped it or has a dog been to interested in her when riding?

she’s got a Ridgeback with stabilisers

take the stabilisers and cranks off and run it as a scoot along then replace when she as got balance (really quick at that age)

with pedals on, I used the mantra look where you are going, steer, and pedal to get her going

best suggestion is take it all to the local (flat) park when it’s not full of people using it as a dog toilet and let her switch between swings and bike. Dad on a skateboard helped for me as a distraction technique (and a way of keeping up). Point out other kids riding as well

kids continually switch their attention and the bike will get back in favour

just remember you don’t have to chase after your 4 year old as she sets off shouting “you can’t catch me” down the local cycle trail when you are on foot, be thankful for small mercies

exile_smoggy

Thanks for the support and suggestions!

I think the important thing is to keep it fun and not put pressure on her. Just remembered she used to ride to nursery when she got the bike last year, will try that in a few weeks and then head upt to the park.

The Early Rider is a wooden scoot bike, she didn’t really get on with that. She’s quite happy walking with it but won’t/can’t scoot. That’s why we moved onto pedals/stabilisers.

She’s a bit reluctant to try things for the first time but once over the hurdle there’s usually no stopping her. Think I (and anyone who’s seen me ride) know where she gets that from…

Bribery is a good suggestion!

just remember you don’t have to chase after your 4 year old as she sets off shouting “you can’t catch me” down the local cycle trail when you are on foot, be thankful for small mercies

yup, guess I should be thankful!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

personally I would stay away from stabilisers as they don’t teach kids the balance needed and create bad habits

scooting is the crux activity to build upon, your kid can pedal already so its about getting her to realise that having Dad running around after her is fun as is the sensation of speed when she gets going

Just remembered she used to ride to nursery when she got the bike last year, will try that in a few weeks and then head upt to the park.

start with the park, more space, no cars, and swings for when she gets bored

if you get desperate I’m the otherside of the M60 and have a riding 4 year old a Go Ride coaching qual (for what it’s worth)and a flat park

however explaining to the wife that we’re going riding at the park with some random bloke and kid off t’interweb will be interesting 😉

midlifecrashes

Park with mild slope, no pedals, show where brakes are. Shuffle, feet up, shout Wheeeeeeeeeeee for as long as you can keep both feet up. when they can do it to the bottom of the hill, pedals back on, repeat, bit as you come down the hill, start pedalling.

kcr
    Free Member

If you do a search there have been a number of threads discussing the best techniques for learning, but lose the stabilisers for starters.
    As far as motivation goes, I don’t think you can force it. Peer influence is probably the biggest motivator in the groups of kids I have worked with, but if your kid is not interested at the moment, why force things?

exile_smoggy

Ok park it is, Ridgeback with pedals off (to start with). The Ridegback without pedals has one big advantage over the Early Rider – brakes.

Will try and get out this weekend and report back.

Cheers,

Smoggy

big_n_daft
    Free Member

The Ridegback without pedals has one big advantage over the Early Rider – brakes.

reset them so the back is dominant as they tend to grab rather than modulate

exile_smoggy

Looks like we’re making progress. Took the pedals/stabilisers off the Ridgeback and went to the park. So far mostly shuffling with a bit of scooting but Izzy really loved it and keeps asking to go out on her bike.

We watched some of the track cycling together last week, Izzy decided she wanted to do the team pursuit!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘pre-school bike lessons’ is closed to new replies.