Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Power useage…… hope I got this right!
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Recently had PV panels fitted and today they’re producing between 5-800w in the low sun with the power being fed into the consumer unit.
    I’ve also got one of these to show how much power we’re using in total
    which has the jaws around the cable coming out of the meter and into the consumer unit.

Just now it was reading about 700w the following running:
    1 x laptop (screen off)
    1 x PC
    2 x servers (no monitors) and associated switches/hardware firewalls
    2 x wifi access points
    1 x sky box on standby
    1 x freezer
    1 x biggish fridge freezer
    Little things like a couple of clocks, etc.

Before the PV went in I checked the daytime useage and my baseline consumption during the day (i.e. no lights, TV etc.) was about 7-800W. So I was confused that my consumption was still the same, yet the PV was putting 500w into the system…. so I was really using 1.2-1.3Kwh or something was wrong.
    So I switched all the big stuff off (fridges, servers, etc) and had a look again – but the meter was still reading 560W.
    Sooooo, either I’m leaking electricity or the meter is/was showing the electricity going out of the system rather than coming in.
    If it’s the former 🙁
    but if it’s the latter 🙂

Am I right?

wrecker
    Free Member

Are you not selling your energy back via the FIT?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yes I am, but I’m not sure that changes anything.

wrecker
    Free Member

If you are then you wont be using any of the energy produced by the PV will you?

Jerome
    Free Member

Two seperate meters.
    You have to export your PV to benefit from the feed in teariffs I believe..
    Put the sender clip for the unit on the output of the PV ?

sharkbait
    Free Member

If you are then you wont be using any of the energy produced by the PV will you?

You can do both. I’m currently using all the energy that’s produced and anything left over (during the summer when more is produced and we use less) goes back into the grid. The money you get for power fed into the grid is effectively nothing and you’re much better off using it yourself.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Power useage…… hope I got this right!’ is closed to new replies.