Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Possible upside to these government cutbacks…
  • thepurist

I was wondering how much it cost local authorities to sanitise various bits of trail – helicoptering in surfacing materials etc. must cost a bomb. So in these times of austerity is there any chance that there will be less focus on turning techy trails into gravelled highways, or is the risk of getting sued by a horsey type too much of an impetus to ignore?

thepodge
    Free Member

a very, very small upside to a much greater down

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Possibly, although its not all bad/good, a lot of places really do need soem armouring otherise they'd be 100ft wide bogs (Cut Gate for example) which just gives ammunition to the ramblers to get us banned. Other places it gets done sympatheticaly, its just no one posts on here to say "they've dumped even more rocks on Snowdon's paths" but you do here "that really boggy section of trail with a nice view that I use once in a blue moon is now wheelchair accessible, bloody wheelchair users, why dont they just stay at home"

thepodge
    Free Member

I hear they are tarmacking some of Snowdon because of erosion.

nosedive
    Free Member

I had this exact thought a couple of weeks ago when riding down Devils Elbow near Blackamore in Sheffield. Hopefully the cutbacks will persuade the Wildlife trust that they should leave it alone.

IanMunro
    Free Member

They've already done the steep lower bit.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

IanMunro – Member
    They've already done the steep lower bit.

Also alledgedly to assist in disabled access (according to Janet Street Porter in the Daily Fail, in what was a rather anti-disabled access rant a few days ago)

Would these "improvements" be local authority funded, or funded by the appropriate national park authority?

thepodge
    Free Member

I had this exact thought a couple of weeks ago when riding down Devils Elbow near Blackamore in Sheffield.

thing is with Blacka, they need to sort the drainage out properly, this will stop people going round the bog and widening the path further and further

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Possible upside to these government cutbacks…’ is closed to new replies.