Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • Polanski
  • ransos
    Free Member

deleted double post

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

whilst I expect this from some of the clients I work with, I feel saddened and concerned when I read it on a chat forum involving supposedly rational people.

Since when, does riding a bike make you "rational" ?

And you sound rather surprised……obviously in your professional capacity barnsleymitch, you are better informed than I am concerning the level of paedophilia in the population. But even if only 1 percent of men are paedophiles, probability suggests that there must be the odd one or two on here.

Or is there a rule which says that paedophiles don't ride bikes ? Obviously being open and honest about unacceptable sexual urges would indeed be a surprise, but I'm not sure whether you should be surprised that people with such urges exist on a "forum involving supposedly rational people". Surely your experience tells you just how normal paedophiles can appear ? 😕

hora
    Free Member

ransos, a question of maturity. There has to be a line but where do you draw it? You could argue 18 however there needs to be a reasonable and legal cut off point that everyone understands. 16 is a good compromise.

Saying that 14yr olds are awakening to playing and experimenting. THATS FINE as long as its say a 14yr old boy/15yr old girl and vice versa.

Its when it becomes a grown adult that it becomes bad.

Plus theres the hes caught on this occassion. Usually these types dont dabble once and unlucky get caught the first time huh 😉

vinnyeh

Because having sex with children (ie below the age of 16) is wrong. Do you seriously need to have that pointed out?

I'm guessing you're talking about between an adult and a minor. I'm not. At the risk of seeming dense I'm asking why sex below 16 is wrong, say between two same age persons, but ok above it, and why this country has the correct stance on this as opposed to others.
    Especially as you have now opened up the argument to state that it is 'wrong' rather than 'illegal'.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Problem is, we're not talking about consentual sex between two teenagers here are we?
    Look, I know I'm possibly coming across a bit holier than thou here, but I'm not some daily mail reading alarmist who sees paedophiles lurking outside every set of school gates, I do this for a f******g living. I really wish some of you could come into work with me for a day, and have to hear and see some of the things I have to. All this crap about why is it wrong at 15 but not 16 is just rationalisation, and with the client group I work with, just one step further towards acceptance and normalisation (grooming isnt just something paedophiles do to others, there has to be a point where they feel justified in what they do).
    And no, I'm not the 'paedofinder general' as some bright spark on here suggested, just someone who gives a toss.

ransos
    Free Member

ransos, a question of maturity. There has to be a line but where do you draw it?

Quite, which is why 16 is to some extent arbitrary. I think some countries have a lower age, but with the proviso that the partner must be no more than 3 years older. Seems sensible, as it should help to stop predation by much older men.

But as I said before, none of this is relevant to Polanski. He drugged and raped her – the offence would still be horrific if she'd been an adult.

hora
    Free Member

But as I said before, none of this is relevant to Polanski. He drugged and raped her – the offence would still be horrific if she'd been an adult.

Spot on. True.

vinnyeh

Fair points. I imagine it must be hard to tone down your response at times.
    The reason I was asking was that I caught a Radio 4 program the other night (iconoclasts/Prof John Spencer) who argued quite well that the law was misdirected by targetting underage sex (in all it's forms – it seems that these days a grope behind the bike sheds can get you on the sex offenders register should somebody desire) rather than the cases where one party is vulnerable.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

And no, I'm not the 'paedofinder general' as some bright spark on here suggested,

That'll be Labrat.

You can understand his concern at the thought of someone taking over from RudeBoy's job.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Since when, does riding a bike make you "rational" ?

And you sound rather surprised……obviously in your professional capacity barnsleymitch, you are better informed than I am concerning the level of paedophilia in the population. But even if only 1 percent of men are paedophiles, probability suggests that there must be the odd one or two on here.

Or is there a rule which says that paedophiles don't ride bikes ? Obviously being open and honest about unacceptable sexual urges would indeed be a surprise, but I'm not sure whether you should be surprised that people with such urges exist on a "forum involving supposedly rational people". Surely your experience tells you just how normal paedophiles can appear ?

Not so much surprised Ernie, more weary of listening to the sort of crap that's been deleted from this thread. Of course I realise how 'normal' paedophiles can appear, I never expect them to turn up wearing Gary Glitter fanclub t-shirts.
    I, like many folk, go to work, then come home and try and 'switch off' -an absolute necessity in my line of work, as I'm sure the other mental health workers on this forum would agree. It's just disheartening, and yes, if I'm honest, worrying, to come on here for a bit of escapism, whatever, and hear more of the same comments that I've been listening to at work all day.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Apologies for missing that yesterday mitch. I'm going to leave it, as I think this thread has probably gone on long enough. As always, I'm not sure I agree with some of the things you say, but I appreciate the background you're coming from with them.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The "Prophet" Mohammed (blessings be upon his name, apparently) felt it was perfectly O.K. to marry a nine-year-old.

Woops, sorry. Wrong thread. 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Polanski’ is closed to new replies.