Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • Polanski
  • jon1973
    Free Member

Polanski

Am I missing something? Polanski admitted to having sex with a 13 girl, flee's an arrest warrent and now he has been arrested to face trial.

I don't understand why the world and his dog are rallying around offering their support.

Politicians and Hollywood heavyweights have rallied behind director Roman Polanski following his arrest.

I admit I don't really know much of the background, but why is he being seen as the victim?

wwaswas

it's 'cos the swiss didn't gie him the same treatment as the French (i.e. pretend it hadn't happened), I think.

hora
    Free Member

French minister saying its unfair. WTF. Hes even admitted to the charge. So…..why is he shocked now that the Swiss have arrested him due to the extradition treaty between Swiss/US? Hes flouted it for years and even has a house in Switzerland. Tough.

Another thing- I read somewhere hes blaming the rape on the 1969 murder of his then wife. So does that make one intentionally drug and ply a minor with alcohol?

uplink
    Free Member

Wasn't it something to do with extradition only being valid if the offence was a crime in the country where you are?

NB – I'm not sure of the law in France regarding very young girls

gonefishin
    Free Member

He plead guilty so he won't be facing a trial just jail.

As for why people are reallying round, well he's French (no extradition treaty with the US) and a famous film director and therefore deserving of special treatment, apparently.

Actually from what little reading I've done on the matter there may be some problems with the way the original trial was conducted.

jon1973
    Free Member

OK, not trial, but face the consequences of sleeping with a 13 year old.

I can understand critism about the nature of the arrest, but the film industry and the French govenrment seem to be acting like he has been done for speeding.

hora
    Free Member

jon1973 he is a 'créateur and a artiste'

jon1973
    Free Member

he is a 'créateur and a artiste'

He'll fit in just fine with his new room mates in some hard core American Prison then. 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

He was 46 when he committed the offence so he was a dirty old man, undeserving of support. Having said that, I think that the views of the victim ought to be taken into account, and she's said that she doesn't want him to go to jail.

BigDummy
    Free Member

People are doing a comparison between the seriousness of what he did and his greatness as an artist, applying a discount for the fact that it happened three decades ago and wondering why the US still care so much, aren't they?

I'm not going to try and trivialise what he is supposed to have done. But the fact of the matter is that the people prosecuting him accepted a plea of guilty on a single charge of intercourse with a minor. If someone was wanted for that crime (not having been convicted and then fled) no-one would be trying to enforce a warrant at all 31 years after the event. They simply wouldn't care.

This is a big issue only because he fled the US and has stayed out of their clutches since. He is going to get clobbered basically for that.

A lot of people reckon that his record as an artist weighs quite heavily against the US desire to prove a point. 😐

uplink
    Free Member

Hadn't he agreed a plea bargain for 'time served' [~43 days] anyway?

hora
    Free Member

I think that the views of the victim ought to be taken into account, and she's said that she doesn't want him to go to jail.

Err no. If the justice system worked that way witnesses and victims would be open to threats, inducements (which is what I think happened to her) and violence.

Hadn't he agreed a plea bargain for 'time served' [~43 days] anyway?

Time on remand whilst assessment was being carried out.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I don’t understand all the handwringing – he was in his 40s when he plied a child with drink and drugs, then sodomised her. He admitted to it, was convicted, then fled the country and avoided serving his time for the past 30 years. Yet for some reason, he’s been treated like a victim – I genuinely don’t get it.

Even if she was a willing participant (which she said she wasn’t), she was 13 – I’m sure that society’s values haven’t shifted so much that a middle-aged man providing a child with intoxicating substances then nobbing them isn’t still seen as being a wee bit taboo…

The victim said that she wants the matter dropped, but only because she finds it traumatic and fairly pointless to keep going over.

BigDummy
    Free Member

ransos
    Free Member

Err no. If the justice system worked that way witnesses and victims would be open to threats, inducements (which is what I think happened to her) and violence.

A rape trial would not go to trial if the victim refused to testify.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It is interesting how we villify paedos but turn a blind eye to famous ones such as Pete Townsend and Polanski.
    It is hypocrisy and it stinks.
    FFS he drugged and sexually assaulted / sodomised/ raped a minor aged 13 when he was 43. Whatever his artistic merits he deserves to do time. I sound like I am sharpening my pitchfork and getting the burning cross BUT is he REALLY any different from other less well know child rapists?
    Does he deserve different treatment?

jon1973
    Free Member

A rape trial would not go to trial if the victim refused to testify.

Even if they admitted to it? In the US, sleeping with a 13 year old is Statutory Rape.

DrJ

But … it seems like some jobsworth in Switzerland saw a chance to make a name for themselves and have him arrested. Now they can't let him go, for the reasons outlined above, but if they send him back to the US, having been quite happily accommodating him for the last decade, then they, as well as the US, look like vindictive idiots, and persecutors of tortured artists. No win.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I'm not on top of this, but it seems to be quite important:

It is precisely in the light of the new evidence revealed by this documentary that Roman Polanski's lawyers asked the US justice department a few months ago for the case to be closed. While recognising the presence of new elements in the dossier and acknowledging the "substantial misconduct " of Judge Rittenband, the Los Angeles court in charge of the dossier declared the case couldn't be closed while Polanski was still technically a fugitive. That decision is still being appealed by Polanski's lawyers

FFS he drugged and sexually assaulted / sodomised/ raped a minor aged 13 when he was 43. Whatever his artistic merits he deserves to do time. I sound like I am sharpening my pitchfork and getting the burning cross BUT is he REALLY any different from other less well know child rapists?

I agree in principle, but prosecutors don't agree plea bargains when they are entirely confident of getting convictions. He was not convicted of (actual as opposed to "statutory") rape, sodomy or plying people with drugs. While it clearly wasn't a luminous episode in the history of human morality, I'm not very comfortable with pitchforking as though he had been convicted of everything he was accused of.

uplink
    Free Member

I reckon a deal will be done where he goes back to the US to clear up the paperwork & the original plea bargain will be implemented

ransos
    Free Member

Even if they admitted to it? In the US, sleeping with a 13 year old is Statutory Rape.

In that case there wouldn't be a trial, only sentencing. All I am saying is that the victim does have a say in some circumstances.

Speshpaul

Basically what BigDummy said, RP agreed to a plea bargin so he would only serve the 41 days he had already done. Then the Judge changed his mind and wanted to impose the maximum (15yr) sentance. RP legs it.
    So i can see why some people think RP has been hard done by.
    But, RP has paid the girl a undisclosed sum out of court as damages.
    So in the same way the prosecutors were happy to do a deal on iffy evidence to convict him. He was happy to settle out of court when the girl sued him.

Sounds like a Guilty man to me, but what this achives is beyond me.

montylikesbeer

If he has been found guilty of an offence then he should be returned to that country to serve said time of have the case reviewed by that court again.

Can't see why or how it should work another way.

The fact he has had sex with a child just revolts me even more

epicsteve
    Free Member

If he wasn't famous then he'd have been sent back to serve his time long ago – and quite right too.

He admitted raping a 13-year girl and fled justice. Don't see why anyone should be arguing in his favour.

DrJ

I think Mrs Polanski will need comforting during this difficult period. And I would like to volunteer for the job.

Speshpaul

"I think Mrs Polanski will need comforting during this difficult period. And I would like to volunteer for the job."

But could you pick her up a 3pm.

DrDolittle
    Free Member

It comes down to this. If you are fashionable or respected for your abilility in making entertainment by a tiny but influencial faction of society you can drug and rape 13yr old girls. "Liberals" the world over will write letters of support, and make reference to your childhood in newspaper articles as mitigation.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

"Jack said she was 13….". Oh yes. Jack. Now what was he doing at the time I wonder?

DrDolittle
    Free Member

Neil Young lyrics, (revolution blues)

"Well, I hear that Laurel Canyon
    is full of famous stars,
    But I hate them
    worse than lepers
    and I'll kill them
    in their cars."

BoardinBob

Apparently Polanski's original defence was basically the fact that the girl was "up for it" 😕

It is also believed that he was having a relationship with Natasha Kinski when she was 15.

From my perspective, if you're famous but a bit crap at whatever you do, then you'll be vilified if you do something wrong i.e. Gary Glitter

On the flipside, if you're famous and very good at what you do, then hey ho, folk will ignore the fact you like beasting young children i.e. Roman Polanski, Pete Townshend etc

grievoustim
    Free Member

boardinbob is correct

jonathan king – "annoying man off telly" -0 sympathy when he's banged up

Bill Wyman – "that's fine Bill, you just sleep with a 13 year old, the stones are awesome"

DrDolittle
    Free Member

To be fair though, she was a bit of a hottie

From that picture, I'd say she looked like a child. Let's see If I get banned for suggesting that you are a Paedophile Labrat. I'm only suggesting mind, as I doubt a real paedo would be so open about his tastes. So, I suppose Labrat is a fake paedo attention seeker. That's sad.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

😉

DrDolittle
    Free Member

Is Labrat a fake paedo attention seeker

or,

is Labrat a fake paedo attention seeker who wants to be Chris Morris, but is Labrat?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I doubt a real paedo would be so open about his tastes

Why not ? Maybe that's the attraction ……… like a danger w4nk. Certainly he posted it for a reaction.

…….or maybe it's a case of double bluff ?

DrDolittle
    Free Member

In Labrat's world, we are pwned Ernie.

BoardinBob

I doubt a real paedo would be so open about his tastes

Clearly you've never heard about NAMBLA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Man/Boy_Love_Association

Hairychested
    Free Member

As for why people are reallying round, well he's French
    He isn't, he's Polish who resides in France.
    Sex with a 13y.o. girl – not on, whoever you are.
    Sex with Natasha Kinsky – well, well….

hora
    Free Member

Clearly you've never heard about NAMBLA

Quality leftfield post of the day!

Edit: Oh. I actually thought NAMBLA was a figment of South Parks imagination. It actually exists. WHAT THE ****.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

nonse = hang him

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Polanski’ is closed to new replies.