Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • POC Joint VPD or 661 Kyle Straits?
  • hughjayteens
    Free Member

After coming off at Cwmcarn at the weekend (video uploading as I type!) I have decided that I don’t bounce as well as I used to, so need to get some padding, particularly with my forthcoming trip to Les Arcs.

My LBS had some POC VPDs in which were the only knee pads they had that were vaguely comfortable, but a mate has some 661 KSs and reckon that they would suit me better as I most of my riding is XC based, and I could wear those all of the time. LBS chap reckoned the KSs didn’t offer much protection for alpine riding, so I guess the question is, could you ride XC with the POCs or am I better off getting the KSs for normal use and some solid plastic pads for the alps?

Not looked at elbow pads yet – is it the same situation there?

ArcticBeast
    Free Member

the 661 will be fine for alpine stuff Ive been using them for years and had no problems at all, although I have found of late that 661 quality is shocking, not tried the POC’s myself but looking at a pic of them it looks like the 661’s offer more protection on the side of the knee.

Sounds as if your lbs is just trying to sell you something more expensive than you need.

Rickos
    Free Member

I use POC knee pads for all my riding. They can get a bit hot, but they are super comfy and have saved me smashing my knees on jagged rocks a couple of times. I think the comfort comes from the VPD padding stuff. When it’s warmed up a bit by your leg it’s quite soft and pliable, but does what it’s meant to if it takes a hit.

Never used Kyle Straits though…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    b17
    Free Member

I’ve used the kyle straights a couple of times in the alps, including les arcs, and put them to test plenty too! No probs from me. The stitching etc on them has held up well, especially compared to the 661 hard shell elbow pads that I’ve got, where the neoprene has disintegrated fast.

I used POC hard shell leg pads the last time because I found that rocks still flicked up into my shins with the kyle straights, but frankly I’ll be going back to the kyles for the increased comfort, and taking the risk on a few shin clunks.

wwaswas

POC have changed their design now – they do have side protection on the knee.

I’ve just bought the new version after runnign thr original – woudl thourouhly recommend them.

doof_doof
    Free Member

+1 for the POC.

Rickos
    Free Member

Forgot to say, been using my POCs for 2 years now and they’re still great. They smell a bit (!), but all the stitching is good.

wwaswas

They smell a bit (!)

would be my main gripe too.

The new ones say ‘Do not wash with water’ but also ‘wear next to skin’.

recipe for pong, if you ask me.

Del

how the hell are you supposed to clean them then?
    odd.
    a good few folk i know wear pocs without any issues for all their riding. they seem happy enough. xc with techy stuff type riding. i expect there’s a term for it. 😀
    i use 661 ks and am pretty happy too.
    i’d suggest hard-faced pads for arms/elbows, as you tend to slide on them, whereas i think knees just tend to take a bang.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I got some Muc Off foam cleaner which evaporates away and works a treat on sweaty helmets (?!) etc so that might be worth a look for the armour.

Am erring towards the POCs as they seem to offer a little more shin protection that the KSs but will try and test try some KSs on first.

jedi

scott grenade pads for the win

supertacky
    Free Member

661s have cut aways at the back of your legs which make them more comfortable on hot days or long rides. POC bunch up behind your knee causing discomfort. They do look better and cant be faulted in term of protection.

Rickos
    Free Member

My POCs don’t bunch up.

Northwind

I’ve never ridden in the POCs but I had a good look at them and I’m not convinced they’re any better than Kyle Straits- same is true of all the other VPD/custard-tech kneepads I reckon, they tend to be smaller but that’s not much of an advantage. But most are more enclosed than old-school foam pads.

I just condemned a set of falling-apart Kyle Straits, so wondering what to replace them with, it’s either going to be yet another set or maybe a set of Grenades but I’m not convinced they’re worth the extra money. But POC won’t be getting a look in- and I love POC kit normally.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘POC Joint VPD or 661 Kyle Straits?’ is closed to new replies.