Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • please recommend me a very bright rear light
  • BluePalomino
    Free Member

ahh go on… recommend me a very bright rear light

stooo
    Free Member

I'll second the smart 1/2 watt as mentioned above. Astounding value… really bright. Not great battery life though.

Definitely worth getting for road biking if you're the guy who ends up doing all the work on the front all the time… your pals won't hog your rear wheel with one of these on the back!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Stu

3rded

druidh
    Free Member

The Cherry Bomb is as bright as the Smart 1/2 watt but has (IMO) a better beam spread.

iamtheresurrection

Not sure if they are still available, but I really rate the Backburn MARS

grumm
    Free Member

I've got a Smart 1/2 watt and a Mars 3 – think I prefer the Mars. Both good though.

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

Another vote for the Smart Superflash 1/2 watt one.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Smart superflash is brighter than the Mars 3.0 – I have both. Dosn't need a fiddly jeweller's screwdriver to get the batteries out either, and its cheaper.

Don't get a cateye 'Holy Handgrenade' either, before anyone suggests it (LD1100).

djglover
    Free Member

Another vote for the smart 1/2 watt, some driver even complained to me it was too bright the other day

BluePalomino
    Free Member

Just fleabayed a smart 1/2 watt. May well get a cherry bomb too though.
    cheers folks 🙂

johnikgriff
    Free Member

yep Smart is the way to go.

ojom
    Free Member

what you want is the cherry bomb, spanks the Smart.

richmars

Been using the smart for the last few weeks, fine so far.

JBiker
    Free Member

Dinotte 200L. Like a lighthouse. Just got mine back on the bike, and lovin' the wide berth I get from cars!

dmiller
    Free Member

grim168 – Member
    smart 1/2 watt

Graham

Big plus one from me. I get two weeks of 2 hours per day on my commute (so easy 20 hours) from a pair of rechargables. I would maybe get more but I dont like to risk running out so charge the front lights one weekend / back lights the next.

I have described these as retina burning. I get space behind me in traffic lights in glasgow 😉

The mother in law has also brought me back the US version that has a strobe function on the big LED. Thats insanse – I actually got warned by the police that it was "a bit bright you know…." 🙂

David.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Dinotte is just cheating, it can be seen from space.

epicyclo

How bright do you want? 🙂

You can get red caps to put over a set of AyUps.

mrchrispy

smart 1/2 watt for best value.
    dinotte for increases in UFO reports.

i use both but the smart is only for backup..cant see it if the dinotte is on.

Haze

Dinotte FTW

lagerfanny
    Free Member

I can recommend these, they're very bright, infact it hurts to look into it, even a few yards away,

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Blackburn_Mars_40_Safety_Rear_Light/5360037937/

johnners
    Free Member

Don't get a cateye 'Holy Handgrenade' either, before anyone suggests it (LD1100).

What's wrong with them? I know it doesn't fit the bill if your aim is blinding everyone behind you, but for making yourself visible they're great.

DezB
    Free Member

Smart: £8.99
    No point paying more.

You can get red caps to put over a set of AyUps – cost you about 40 quid though!

epicyclo

DezB – Member
    You can get red caps to put over a set of AyUps – cost you about 40 quid though!

They chucked them in free for me when I visited them in Oz.
    AyUp

I was talking about if you already have a set of the lights 🙂

With a helmet mount all you have to do is rotate one unit backwards with the red cap on it.

gwaelod
    Free Member

AndyP
    Free Member

2 HHG, 2 Smarts, 2 fibre flares. Try saying you didn't see me now…

cynic-al
    Free Member

What I would say to anyone witha rear light is make sure it's visible.

I see no end of lights pointed at the ground/sky etc and put no light at all into a drivers eyes, pointless and EPIC FAIL!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Can anyone comment on running the smart on NiMH's?

DezB
    Free Member

They chucked them in free for me when I visited them in Oz.
    AyUp
    I was talking about if you already have a set of the lights

I was talking about the postage and duty charges if you don't happen to be popping over to Oz. They are actually not as bright as the Smart though (I have both).

BigJohn

On the way to the pub last Friday I stopped to post a letter so was a way behind Mrs BigJohn. Her £3 Tesco light was mighty impressive. The little one that is held on with velcro. It was brighter than the Cateye that was on there too.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

What's wrong with them? I know it doesn't fit the bill if your aim is blinding everyone behind you, but for making yourself visible they're great.

a) too heavy for mount, mounts snap in cold weather, had 4 mounts and 2 units like this.

b) flashing rows drfit in and out of phase with each other, so from further back than about 50 yards, it dosn't appear to flash at all.

c) dispite not being very bright and using 2 huge AAs, they drink battery like George Best on the cooking sherry.

Completely outclassed by more modern, brighter, lighter, better designed, cheaper offerings.

Can anyone comment on running the smart on NiMH's?

Running mine on eneloop rechargers just dandy. Hardly seems to draw, I get about 2 weeks between recharges commuting 5 days a week.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘please recommend me a very bright rear light’ is closed to new replies.