Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Playing iPhone music through your laptop
  • armchairbiker

I want to be able to play my music that I have on my iPhone through my work laptop which does not have my itunes library. That way when I’m stuck in a hotel when working away from home I can listen to my music.

I’ve looked around and there are a number of apps that allow you to take music and film from a laptop to an iphone, but I can’t see anything the other way round.

Anyone else solved this problem? Apparently you can’t do it on itunes and I don’t have an input jack on my laptop so I can’t use a cable from my iphone headphone socket into the pc.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Would it not be better (sound-wise too) to get a set of those cool little mini speakers?

(I haven’t a clue how you’d get around your original problem btw).

EDIT: This kind of thing…

philconsequence
    Free Member

if you plug in your iphone to itunes you should be able to play directly from your phone on your laptop

i plug in my ipod to my work computer and play the library on the ipod… the tracks arent on the work computer so all it means is if you unplug the ipod the music stops 🙂

hope that helps!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh I was asuming that because it’s a work laptop, that iTunes isn’t on there in the first place. ❓

armchairbiker

itunes isn’t on the work laptop. But a couple of forums said that wouldn’t work because if the itunes on the laptop isn’t where the iphone is registered.

I’ll try though.

Oh, and I want to avoid buying separate speakers – it’s just something else to carry.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

it’s just something else to carry

I know, but a mate has these and believe me, they are weeny!

montylikesbeer

X Mini

For £12.00 with built in rechargeable lithium battery, mine is a minter and smaller than a golf ball !!

philconsequence
    Free Member

quick question… why not use headphones? will sound much better than coming through laptop or portable mini speakers….

trail_rat
    Free Member

quick question… why not use headphones? will sound much better than coming through laptop or portable mini speakers….

you ever tried showering with headphones ?

those mini speakers are the bollocks ! x-mini . we all have em – link 5 up and you can fairly set the neighbours off in the staff house 😀

armchairbiker

No headphones. Wear them enough during the day.

Will look at x mini.

Now as I’m in London today. Where can I buy em

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Anywhere near an Argos?

montylikesbeer

from amazon via my first post clicky, simples

armchairbiker

I can pass an argos. Will look at lunch time after my morning meetings

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Amazon or play.com with next-day possibly cheaper than Argos 😕

montylikesbeer

The argos ones are pants, seriously go for an X Mini from the interweb

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh sorry, I just thought they were the same ones.

CaptJon
    Free Member

montylikesbeer

Thats ok DD, the argos ones are made by Alba and are grim in the extreme.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

You can plug any iPhone into any iTunes and get into the music library. The phone will show up in the device list and you can access music, movies, whatever. You just can’t sync (well, you can, but it’ll delete everything off the iPhone) or update apps.

Does Windows Media Player or something like VLC not also work in the same way – just seeing the iPhone as plug-in hardware?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

If you buy a line in/head phone cable (male to male),

You could plug that into a line in port on most laptops and play the iphone or mp3 player through a laptop like a set of speakers by adjusing the sound properties.

armchairbiker

Frankenstein – as i said in my OP. Can’t do on this on my work laptop.

Also itunes doesn’t seem to work on my laptop – must be a conflict with work apps I have on.hmmm

finally thanks for the heads up on going to Argos v’s Amazon. I never had chance to go to Argos today in the end so that was a good save. however they do look v simialr…..

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Playing iPhone music through your laptop’ is closed to new replies.