Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • play in rear suspension
  • swagger
    Free Member

hi guys,

ive just finished cleaning my trusty top fuel 8.
    and whilst doing so i noticed that its developed play in the rear suspension.

its not much, only a few mil maybe 5. when you pick the bike up by the saddle/seat post, the bike lifts up and the back wheel stays on the ground and the bike lifts up.

does that make sense? i dont remember it doing it when i 1st got the bike.

do i need to replace the bushings/bearings? or is this nothing to worry about?

thanks in advance.

joe

bagpuss
    Free Member

On my old FSR that meant replace the lower shock eye bushings, pronto!

wwaswas

get it sorted – as above – probably shock bushes but get it done before anything else gets damaged by the wear.

jonnymojo
    Free Member

what year is it? I have a 06 fuel and have had no end of main pivot bearings working themselves loose. I believe I made it worse by not fixing mine straight away. If you have the slip fit bearings I have on my 06 be sure to use loctite 638 or something similar when you fit new bearings

swagger
    Free Member

jonnymojo, its a 2010 model.

ive tied to find the source of the movment but to no avail currently.

joe

wwaswas

If you let all the air out of the shock you may find it easier to move the back wheel about and find what’s waggling.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

As ‘Bagpuss’ & ‘wwaswas’ – it’ll be the shock bushings/eyelets…

neil853
    Free Member

i have the same issue with my 2011 blur ltc, but the play doesn’t seem to be coming from the bushings but the shock itself……

Onzadog
    Free Member

As others have said, if its a little loose up and down but nothing side to side, It’s most likely the shock eye bush. Wrap your fingers around it and lift the saddle. You’ll feel it then.

kaesae
    Free Member

You could try putting your hand in different places and giving the back end a shake, try not to get it pinched or jammed anywhere. If it’s just the inner eyelete bushes I have some DP4 compound ones I can chuck in the post to you for free!

You could also remove your rear shock and check how tight the bushes are by twisting them with your fingers, I would get it sorted right away.

good luck!

swagger
    Free Member

quick update.

ive pulled the shock off the bike and every thing feels tight. theres no play that i can find.
    but as soon as i put it back the plays there again.

could somthing else be causing the play?

joe

kaesae
    Free Member

Any chance of a video clip?

carlos
    Free Member

Maybe but probably not.

Onzadog has given you the correct and simple advice to check the bushings, no need to remove the shock.

gusamc
    Free Member

I recently traced play to the actual shock, (old Manitou Swinger), the actual shock appears to have about 2mm play, worse when air pressure is lower.

When everything is tight there is a slight clunk when I lift the saddle, having spent ages pulling this and that (and getting independent help) I can ‘feel’ (vibration etc) in the shock when I hold the shock and lift the bike – it’s like 2mm of travel is ‘free’ and it just clunks hwne the slack is taken up.

Maybe try pumping it up to a lot and seeing if there is a difference.
    Can you mount the shock at one end and try for play.

neil853
    Free Member

As i said i have this ‘play’ on a 2011 rp23. Looks like i’m going back to Stiff on Saturday to get this sorted 🙄

neil853
    Free Member

double post sorry

carlos
    Free Member

Neil853 is it a HV can??? Had no end of set up issues with mine and in the end sent it to TF for a PUSH tune to suit my riding and weight.

neil853
    Free Member

HV? It’s a 2011 boost valve RP23. Having said that I’ve just fiddled around with mine and it Looks like the bottom shock bush has play, after 2 months!!!!! This can’t be normal? A dozen rides and now the shock bushing’s need replacing?!

khani
    Free Member

neil853, get one of these, makes it a 5minute job, you can get bushes off kaesae above
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fox-Shock-Bush-Removal-Tool_W0QQitemZ110614483206QQcategoryZ109119QQvarZQQcmdZViewItem
    EDIT not me btw

kaesae
    Free Member

Yeah, get one of those tools, they are very easy to use I have a couple one I take on ride days with spare bushes.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

ive had that, replaced the bushings and problem solved 🙂

neil853
    Free Member

kaesae are the bushes brand specific? I reckon i’m going to get a few…..

carlos
    Free Member

neil853 – Glad you got sorted out. HV = High Volume air can. Sounds like it’s the same as I have but I just couldn’t get the feel right on it hence sending it to TF. It’s like a completley different shock now.

Also had a heavy duty shock mount kit fitted (15 quid or so)

swagger
    Free Member

hi guys,

got another update!

its not the bushes. the play is in the bearings on the pivots that the rocker link and swing arm are bolted to.

unfortunatley the bearings wont be in until after christmas!

thanks again,
    joe

kaesae
    Free Member

Hey Joe. good that you got it sorted. Hope you have a good xmas and new year!

swagger
    Free Member

thanks kaesae! i hope you also have a good christmas and new, that involve plenty of riding 😀

atb
    joe

kaesae
    Free Member

When you had the shock off your frame, did you pull at the different suspension parts in opposing directions?

Always a good way to check the bearings, too much stability with the shock on.

Ridefree! mate!!! 😀

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘play in rear suspension’ is closed to new replies.