Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Planet-X at John Pye Auctions
  • uphillcursing
    Free Member

That is a lot of stock they are dumping. Seems odd, odd indeed.

rudyard197
    Free Member

With all those and the Ebay golf shop, just how much “crap” do have to off load?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I guess this is the crap that isn’t shifting, low return but fixed price for disposal and all gone?

rOcKeTdOg

Do you have to guess the sizes?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Please Note:
    This is a Public Auction, not a consumer or retail sale – Lots include second-hand and used goods, sold as seen with no guarantees which is why Public Viewing is available (above) and recommended.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Bloody hell. Its the warranty returns.

CheesybeanZ

Buying warranty returns from an auction , what could possibly go wrong …

shermer75
    Free Member

That is soooo much stuff!!

fooman

It’s a fair amount but not exceptional, px will have a steady stream of stuff to dispose. You’d only do it this way though if i. You’ve written the stock off ii. You don’t have time to deal with it iii. You don’t want it coming back.

DrP

with 20%vat and 20% premium on the auction price too…

DrP

cchris2lou

Do they send it or even box it?

chilled76
    Free Member

It’s collection only from Uttoxetor and don;t forget to add 44% to your winning bid.

+ 20% + 20% is +44%

petec
    Free Member

I was going to comment on the price of the Pickenflick frame on there; at the moment it’s £288 inc all the extras. I remember PX churning them out at ~£600 not long ago.

Obviously at the moment, they’ve got a ‘sale’ on, so they’re back up a grand.

STATO
    Free Member

I was going to comment on the price of the Pickenflick frame on there; at the moment it’s £288 inc all the extras. I remember PX churning them out at ~£600 not long ago.

And you’ve no idea whats wrong with the auction one unless you hold it your hands prior to the auction closing. It could have an ovalized headtube (no uncommon on PX ‘seconds’) or buggered BB threads or any number of faults.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

with around half a dozen ‘sale’ events running currently and this i’d say that the writing is on the wall…..

chakaping
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2cMG33mWVY[/video]

cozz
    Free Member

mmmm, unless the receivers have been in, and winding it all up, and clearing stock.

Wouldn’t surprise me is they are trying to hang on till after Xmas, milking what they can till new year

dragon
    Free Member

Sacking most of your work force and then dumping stock, doesn’t paint a pretty picture of healthy company does it.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Looks like a load of crap so I’d go with clearing the decks/rationailising, saw the CT45’s but looking at the freehubs they’re all used so must be a batch issue with something £50 for a set of fulcrums might no be a bad shout for a set of winter wheels though – shame they’re not disc.

cokie

Huge amount of those items aren’t ‘second-hand and used goods’, so not sure why they’re being listed. Lost of sealed boxes of goods, including tool kits, tyre leavers, lights & mudguards. I don’t see why they’d want to shift any of this wholesale.

STATO
    Free Member

Huge amount of those items aren’t ‘second-hand and used goods’, so not sure why they’re being listed.

PX brand stuff is probably QC failures. Bad paint, faulty welds, minor damage (how many topics on here over the years of PX frames with damage to headtubes from poor packaging).

Lost of sealed boxes of goods, including tool kits, tyre leavers, lights & mudguards. I don’t see why they’d want to shift any of this wholesale.

Buy huge amount at knock-down price, flog half ‘cheap’ and you’ve already made a profit over what you paid. Trying to clear the rest can take time and fills your warehouse with slow selling low profit items. Clear it all out for a double-knock-down price and you clear space and make a quick profit.

Northwind

Some of it I’m sure is just overstocks and the like but a lot of it smells of warehouse scrapings, and this is a company that usually just sells their QC rejects so you’d have to be brave or insane to buy anything unseen.

hooli

For one of the frames I checked in the auction, once you add the fees and collect it, it works out more expensive than what I paid direct from PX and it arrived well packaged in a box with some* after sales support.

*Yes, I know about the horror stories but it was fine for me.

STATO
    Free Member

For one of the frames I checked in the auction, once you add the fees and collect it, it works out more expensive than what I paid direct from PX

I think a lot of people dont realise the additional fees, they probably think its just like ebay.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Looks like a load of crap so I’d go with clearing the decks/rationalising, the contents of their warehouse

There we go, much more sense.

chakaping
    Free Member

Can’t see this being a huge success TBH.

scotroutes

Can I just say #brexshit before we get to page 2?

theotherjonv

jeez, once past the first couple of pages there’s a load of clothing, tyres, puncture repair kits, gloves, other brand wheelsets, etc. – can’t all be warranty returns, smacks of a liquidation sale.

I was tempted by some stuff from their Fibonnacci sale, just supposing this was a ‘last throw of the dice’ would i be at risk of not getting my goods?

cchris2lou

I was looking at the Titus FTM frame and bits as I have one and would give me some spares, but can’t collect.

petec
    Free Member

I’m just looking forward to SQ2322322323256 turning up and telling us this is normal, nothing to see here, all is fine. And most of all, DON’T PANIC.

😆

JPR
    Free Member

The VAT will only be on the buyers premium. So 20% of 20%.

thepodge
    Free Member

Its not like they are known for logical business moves but this one does seem odd.

They used to be based in a warehouse outside Doncaster, I wonder if they kept it on after moving to Rotherham and this is just a clearout of what is there. Saves them putting it all in their system and trying to flog it off.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m just looking forward to SQ2322322323256 turning up and telling us this is normal, nothing to see here, all is fine. And most of all, DON’T PANIC.

We probably just don’t understand how a modern, agile, lean 21st century retail business operates.

natrix
    Free Member

The VAT will only be on the buyers premium. So 20% of 20%

I don’t think so, the example that they give is:

£100 bid + BP (£120) PLUS VAT on BP & Bid Total = £144 invoice

Some of the prices that people have paid are just plain daft, more than you can buy it from PX

richardthird

They are selling off old tat to buy nice shiny Shimano groupsets to nail onto a reduced range of frames.

That’s what I’d do anyway.

matt_outandabout

Have we had boss man from On-One/PX come on yet and suggest this is normal sales practice and that we should all welcome their new sales channel of high quality tat cycling equipment?

ransos
    Free Member

We probably just don’t understand how a modern, agile, lean 21st century retail business operates.

“Lean” as in no money and no stock?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

PX brand stuff is probably QC failures. Bad paint, faulty welds, minor damage

No, that’s what they sell direct to customers…

epicyclo

Well one thing is for sure, any business that ordered £100,000 of stock pre Brexit and is now getting it delivered is going to be paying a blood curdling amount more unless they hedged it.

I reckon we’ll see quite a few of the shallower pocketed bike distributors go to the wall. I hope that’s not the case here.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Planet-X at John Pye Auctions’ is closed to new replies.