Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Pinnacle Arkose 4 front Hub Bearings? Help please.
  • jacob46
    Free Member

After 6 months of use the front KT hub bearings have given up on me.

Phone evans in birmingham whom i bought the bike from and they were about as helpful as a fork serving up gravy. They said they wanted to see the wheel first before they could tell me how i go about buying new bearings.
    Took the wheel to my local halfords and they were just the same. They said they only service caged bearings. Says a lot for boardman.

Im awaiting response from pinnacle themselves after emailing them last night.

Not happy really with bearings only lasting 6 months and no one can tell me how to go about repairing them. Rubbish unbranded hub i think.

Anyone help me?

jimdubleyou

You could do what I did when I needed to source some new forks after a bash:

1) Try for ages through various channels at Evans to get some.
    2) Put a bad review on the Arkose 4 page on Evans website saying spares are unavailable
    3) Wait for product manager to contact you, who will solve your problem the next day.

Or – just leave your post here here, jameso is the product manager and I’m sure he’ll be along shortly, the gent that he is.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

If its a sealed hub like Novatec, then i’d guess that either the end caps just pull off, or you can stick an allen key in each end and unscrew them so you can see which bearing you need.

Kahurangi

Are they not cartridge bearings? Bash them out, measure them up and buy some replacement sealed cartridge bearings?

iainc

any decent LBS should be able to swop these over for you

jacob46
    Free Member

I have unscrewed the the 2 end caps and now left with the bearings completely visible and a 10mm allen key shaped piece in the middle that goes straight through to the other side. Ive had an allen key in each side and you cant undo anything.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

You went to Halfords and Evans. Is there a reason you are not trying normal bike shops?

jameso

Same as JT said I just take mine out, measure them and order a std bearing to match that as they’re all stock sizes. Will need to get a book out to look up the size of that one when I’m in the office later this eve, agreed it’s useful to have new ones ready to go to do the job in one go.

jacob46
    Free Member

Bongohooha you would think evans would know something about there own bikes. Especially when they recommend you a bike.

Halfords need to hurry up with times.

jacob46
    Free Member

Jameso ide love to take them out but apart from bashing them out i cant see another way.

jameso

I wouldn’t expect them to know bearing sizes that readily to be fair. Goes for any shop. Some will, some won’t, it’s them knowing who to ask to get that info that’s more important.

jameso

You do bash them out, carefully.

jacob46
    Free Member

Jameso

You would think they could look at another Arkose and get back to you. Im sure there is another Arkose in the birmingham store.

windysurfer
    Free Member

If the bearings are visible then you should be able to read the part number of the seal?

jameso

I’ve checked the parts info and helpfully the manufacturer doesn’t list the bearing size .. so if it’s not visible on the bearing and you don’t want to remove them first I’ll need them to reply to be 100%. At shows and out of the office this week so no bike on hand apart from the 2016 4 spec.

Rorschach
    Free Member

If you don’t know how to take the hub apart to see what size the bearings are Then how will you replace said bearings if Evans do tell you which size bearings you need?

cchris2lou

Most probably Novatec hubs. 6001 rs for the bearings?

nosedive
    Free Member

If you can see the bearings the code should be on the seal. Just order 2 new ones from a decent ebay supplier then watch a youtube vid to see how to tap them out and new ones in. 10 minute job once you have done it a couple of times. Or take it to a bikeshop and expect to pay £35 ish.

I know it seems annoying when you phone the shop but there are so many variants they will want to be sure

dovebiker

Find a shop that know what they’re talking about – most front hubs use much the same construction but there are a range of bearing sizes. If you’ve been riding the bike all winter in filthy conditions or used a jet wash, then 6 months isn’t unusual. Replacements bearings are a few quid each – drift the old ones out and press them in on the outer race e.g. socket.

tthew

I think you can’t see the code on the bearing, so get the end caps off, measure the outside diameter of the bearing, the diameter of the hole in the middle and the width, (which may admittedly be tricky, I’m sure you can estimate closely enough)

Put the size in this website and bob’s your mother’s brother. You’ll need deep groove ball bearings, and look for ones with the suffix 2rs, (2 rubber shields) Then all you have to do is tap the old ones out, new ones in, (without resorting to hitting the inner race which will knacker them) and you’re on your way.

pictonroad

Is the hub the same as this?

I’ve only ever removed hope and shimano bearings, can’t say I know how to do these and it’s not instantly obvious.

legend
    Free Member

Quick google of the model number stamped onto the hub there throws up various results e.g. http://www.o-lite.com.tw/pro.php?m=d&pid=29&cid=15&f=4

pictonroad

rear hub instructions?

Edit- that’s no help.

How DO you get to the back of the bearings jameso?

andyg1966

If its like some fulcrum hubs I had, then use the aluminium spindle to drive the bearing out directly. It may have a shoulder behind the bearing. Remove one side, re-insert spindle and drive out the other side.

andyrm
    Free Member

Yup – like a lot of KT derived hubs inc. nukeproof generator, superstar Tesla etc, its probably a case of using the shoulder on the inside to drive it out, by tapping the axle through. I normally use a nylon mallet for this.

Worth looking on the KT website I reckon

RustyNissanPrairie

Your hub is part of a bike-its a collection of mechanical bits. Get your hands dirty and learn to fix it yourself or take it to a REAL LBS and pay them. Either way stop crying about consumable components wearing out.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

While I am in no way siding with the OP, why should he have to do either of those things? Evans should be able to sort him out…..and yes, this does mean he takes the wheel to them. I would expect them to lend him one to use in the mean time seeing as they don’t know the bearing model of a bike they sell.

jameso

Hi Jacob, the bearings are 3x 6802-2RS. There’s one on the drive-side and two on the disc side. Drift the non-disc side bearings out first by simply tapping the oher end of the axle (plastic mallet or similar to protect the axle end). Then use the disc-end of the axle (longer space between end and bearing seat shoulder) to drift out the 2 bearings on the disc side.
    Sorry it’s taken a few days to get this confirmation sorted.

A few pics to help clarify,

sheeps

Jameso, you’re a legend. Bookmarked for when mine need replacing! Same size in the rear??

jameso

OP, just a bump in case you missed this.

Sheeps, not heard from KT yet. There’s online details of how to remove them, a tech section of the same in the catalogue and yet no bearing sizes listed.

madeupname
    Free Member

Did this get it’s new bearings in the end?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Pinnacle Arkose 4 front Hub Bearings? Help please.’ is closed to new replies.