Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Pimp my ride (warning: Bfe content)
  • 4130soul
    Free Member

Right, im really hoping this link works.

Here, after a long wait is my new Bfe

all i can say is oh my fekkin gawd!!!!!!

it is so light, agile and flickable! had a test ride earlier and it just wants to be ridden hard n fast. i am going to have so much fun ragging the sh*t out of this bike!
    Thanks Paul and Cy for all your hard work getting these bikes into production and into my grubby little mits.

and before anyone starts on about the tyre logos not lining up with the rims or the length of the brake hose, i dont care i'll be too busy riding to give a monkies!

Sammo
    Free Member

That looks amazing, think you've just persuaded me to buy one!

RealMan
    Free Member

Look at that lawn.

And those weeds..!

4130soul
    Free Member

nice try, thats a public cycle path, thankfully i dont have responsibility to mow it, just ride along it like a loon!

Thanks sammo, do it, you wont be disapointed 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

I got nothing then, beautiful bike. 😀

Zedsdead
    Free Member

lurverly.

How much for one of them frames then?

4130soul
    Free Member

for you sir £370 for everyone else….£370
    and worth every single penny

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I'm almost tempted to sell my ti Airborne and get one……

hmmmmmmmm

Northwind

In the correct colour too, nice one!

billybob
    Free Member

I like that a lot.

the chain looks a little long tho…

mboy
    Free Member

Picking my new BFe (new to me anyway as it's a 2nd hand one) frame this weekend, so can't wait either… Yours looks ace by the way!

Incidentally, how does it handle with the 36's on at 160mm? Does it feel too tall and slack at the front for general riding, or is it ok? I ask cos my BFe will be inheriting the 36's off my full sus for the time being at least, and they're at 160mm, and want to know if it feels ok before I do anything about altering the travel.

Also thinking about going 1×9 on mine like you have on yours. Oddly enough I don't think I've seen a BFe yet with only one chainring on! Given that I've got 3 other bikes that will be more suited to more general XC riding, and that one of them has an Alfine hub that I've been getting on ok with, I'm thinking of running a single 32T ring with an 11-32T cassette (or maybe an 11-34 with a 34T ring) as it's going to be primarily for short messabout rides.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

For general riding I think shorter travel the better. 160mm is pointless.

I started with 130mm but now have my forks at 110mm. Feels good for xc, dirt jumps and dh stuff like this. I did have 1×9 32×32/11 but have put ss on it for a bit, just over summer cos Im not doing as many xc miles at the moment.

the-muffin-man

Are you planning to lasso cattle with those cables!

😉

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Mboy – chuck the 160's on first off then I can have a ride an see what its like 😉

4130soul
    Free Member

m-boy, at 160 the bike feels fine, definately more downwards biased but you can really hang off the back when railing corners too.
    a travel adjustable fork is spot on so pick n choose as you go.

i did wonder why there werent more 1×9 set ups appearing, running a 34 ring it peddles excellently and has enough left when going at warp speed.

muffin man – the cables will be cut down when i can be rsed, i was too eager to get it built n ridden to take time over getting the cablelength right.

Taylforth – pointless? maybe you should take this up with cotic. cck

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh suppose it depends what your defenition of "general riding" is. General dh riding in the alps or something then I guess it makes sense. For everything else it just seems like a bit of a hindrance having to wade your way through 160mm of travel everytime you want to do a jump or climb up a hill.

Dont know why I need to take it up with cotic, my bike feels spot on with short forks on the front

alpin
    Free Member

i think David also has a DB Alpine… so knows what he's talking about. And I'd agree. I too have an Alpine. 160 is overkill for most things and makes jumping less, err….., easy (god that'sshit english, but i can't be bothered to think about it too much….)

Nice looking build, but those cables!!????

Enjoy!

4130soul
    Free Member

talas = travel adjust, whose wading through travel? if i want 120mm ive got it, if i want 160mm ditto

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh alpin, I did have one and it was good with some lt forks. Bit better dh than the cotic ive got now.

talas = travel adjust, whose wading through travel? if i want 120mm ive got it, if i want 160mm ditto

Im sure Talas are 160/130/100 – I dont know whether I can take a man who doesnt know what travel his forks can adjust to seriously.

But someone asked what travel would be best for general riding. I just gave them an honest answer. I guess if you can afford some adjustable forks then that covers everything.

alpin
    Free Member

i think there are different versions re. the travel settings…. so don't start throwing handbags…

🙂

Vortexracing

Nice build, welcome to the club, just put a larsen TT on the back of mine and the flatties back on for some ragging tomorrow night.

great bikes BTW, you won't be dissapointed.

Vortexracing

and what the hell is the size of the back rotor, it's like a dinner plate, you could stop a 40ft truck with that

mboy
    Free Member

But someone asked what travel would be best for general riding.

Actually, I asked if it handled "OK" at 160mm of travel… I know by its very nature (same geometry as the Soul) it's probably going to handle best with 130mm or less, BUT… Mine is going to be a play bike only. Sadly I don't have TALAS or U-Turn forks, but some fixed travel 160mm Float 36's currently. Might try and borrow my mates Pikes for a weekend, to see how they feel on it instead, but mine is gonna have to run my 36's for a while at least. So don't worry Bushwacked, you'll get a go on it with the forks at 160… 😉

For everything else it just seems like a bit of a hindrance having to wade your way through 160mm of travel everytime you want to do a jump or climb up a hill.

I'm a bit of a suspension travel whore to be fair anyway, my "XC hardtail" has 130mm forks on it…

Bushwacked
    Free Member

That rear rotor is HUGE!!! Is that so you can ride it in either direction?

Looking lovely though – loving the white rims on it 🙂

Bagstard
    Free Member

Very nice bike, the blue goes well with the white rims. I have an alpine and run 34 x 34 which covers for most things pretty well. Mine has u-turn lyriks on the front which are usually set at 130mm for XC, 145mm for messing about round Woburn freeride area or similar. They would only get the full 160mm for pure DH. Enjoy your lovely new bike, it looks a lot of fun.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

BTW – what's the sizing of you and the bike?

4130soul
    Free Member

Cheers for all the positive comments, im well chuffed with the bike.

The dinner plate…i mean rotor is a 203mm, all the kit came off my old nomad and i couldnt be rsed to get around to getting a new rotor or adapter yet. i think when i slammed on the brakes lastnight i may have disrupted the earths rotaion!

bushwacked – the Bfe is a small and i'm 5"11 i like my bikes small and chuckable. like m-boy's its meant to be a playbike for all occasions so it's built tough.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Hi mate, sorry not been in touch, not been too well

looking nice, very nice… blue was def the right choice. Perhaps drop a few links out of the chain? looks a tad slack, if you want a hand shortening the hoses give me a shout, I have a tech so you dont loose any oil, hence you wont have to bleed them 🙂

4130soul
    Free Member

Hey spanky!
    not been well? thats a bit of an understatement innit?

i'm surprised i havent had more comments about the chain, or the complete lack of gear cable…

yeah mate when your feeling fit come on over n we can have a few beers and fettle….in fact how about we fettle the bike first then drink, im not having you break my new ride 😉

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

Yep had flu, chest infection and other problems after the op and daft pain. On an up today though 🙂 got my mum and dad down to help with the kids so perhaps when Im a tad abtter I can get one of them to run me to yours for a beer!

looking forward to seeing this in the flesh!!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

"you can really hang off the back when railing corners too" – after being on one of Ed-O's courses, I can tell you thats not how to 'rail a corner' 😉

Seriously thinking about getting a gritstone BFe…

RichieBoy
    Free Member

Looks great. What size is that?

minzo
    Free Member

nice bike,anyone got any pictures of it in the grey

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Pimp my ride (warning: Bfe content)’ is closed to new replies.