Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Phillips Head Protection System new lid design any thoughts?
  • Wookster

Link.

Intrested in this really been looking at a FF lid but the only one I can find that's snell B96 and ASTM rated is fron spesh. This looks intresting though a further level than the POC kit, although I think the floating layer my suffer with the more frequent off's you get on the trail etc?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yup – something I have been arguing for for ages – but according to the STW hive mind rotational injuries don't exist.

any helmet given a decent clout should be replaced anyway and if you are hitting your helmet that often you need to look at how you ride.

Its nice to see that finally helmets designers are looking at this. Its been clear for years that helmets especially xc cycle helmets are bad from the rotational injuries point of view and some research suggests up to 30% of head injuries are made worse by the rotational loading to say nothing of neck injuries.

I fear cost will be prohibitive and its difficult to use theis technology in multi vented helmets.

s.p.adshead
    Free Member

Quite an interesting concept, and providing it can be made durable enough to be knocked around, as helmets inevitable are in top boxes etc. then likely to catch on

Looking at the state of my Giro Atmos after a bad crash, i would think this technology would be limited in xc helmets (can't really talk about DH lids). XC helmets are designed to deform from the contact point on the shell. Therefore objects may dig in and 'grip' giving rotational forces from the outset.
    Looking at my motorbike helmet (which thankfully has never had to perform), the polystyrene inner is designed to deform the most, and the fibreglass shell should stay fairly in-shape so objects 'glance' off – by the looks of things that super skin stuff helps this further.

sorry for rather un-technical explanation of my thought ramblings

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

s.p.adshead

The crucial thing is that the poly squashes between your head and the thing you hit – it doesn't really matter if this is from the outside in or inside out – its the compression of the poly that absorbs some of the energy and reduced the rate of decelleration.

Its the venting thats the issue for xc helmets.

Wookster

TJ, I was talking about more scuffs from low branches etc not big stacks mate!! agree about the cost though.

solamanda
    Free Member

I've looked at this from the motorbike lid point of view, infact I've just ordered a (expensive) lid and not gone for this option. I think it's a good idea but needs to be treated with some respect. A lid with this technology won't protect from rotational forces if it's a poor fit for the user. I hope people don't get blinded into buying this lid without considering the importance of fit.

However for mountain bike lids I love a properly designed MTB full facer designed and built to the same standard as a quality motorbike unit. I get abit fazed looking at expensive MTB lids as the quality is appalling for the money.

Personally I find myself needing to replace lids every year or so after it has suffered a hard hit and have seen friends reuse their expensive lids after hard hits due to the cost of replacing. I think a basic £100 lids replaced after every major hit (ie: head pain or a direct high speed head hit) is always a better option than a £300 lid replaced after several big hits.

s.p.adshead
    Free Member

s.p.adshead

The crucial thing is that the poly squashes between your head and the thing you hit
    Its the venting thats the issue for xc helmet

Yeah see your point – so therefore an XC helmet would perhaps need a more rigid outer to enable the super skin to work, but like you said vents would probably be the overriding problem.

Might also need to consider the variety of surfaces that may be hit by helmet in XC riding, i imagine even road is fairly smooth in comparison with e.g. Chapple gate!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Phillips Head Protection System new lid design any thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.