Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Philadelphia
  • Caher

Probably a bit of a long shot here but has anyone been to Philadelphia? I have to do a course there and was wondering what it was like and it’s easy to get a weekend in New York?
    Thanks

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I've been, over ten years ago mind you, all a bit brief as I was only there for a few hours!

It ain't NY let's put it that way!

NY is only up the road in American terms, so a train up to Grand Central shouldn't take too long at all!
    HERE

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

MM where's Mr MC he lived out that way! guessing he's still in bed with his broken leg 😉

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(mr MC posting) lived just outside (in US terms) of Philly for 2 years. Philly is a cool city in its own right, with a lot of american history (cue jokes) to check out as well as nightlife.

Its about a 2hr drive to NYC straight up the interstate, and there's regular buses/trains. Getting a greyhound is an interesting experience!

Philly and the state Pennsylvania have a lot of historical sites and monuments. Its on the bottom edge of the appalachian mountain range and theres some great scenery which would make a nice balance from NYC (which I love).

http://www.visitpa.com/things-to-do/index.aspx

rock climbing in Ralph Stover state park, the Fairmount Classic MTB race in Philly's answer to central park (it was televised, I came 8th…), mad techy rocky singletrack riding all over the state and neighbouring New Jersey, bumping into Bruce Willis walking round a corner (filming a scene from Sixth Sense), Quakers and Amish centres…why TF did I come home…

theflatboy
    Free Member

bumping into Bruce Willis walking round a corner (filming a scene from Sixth Sense)

wouldn't you have walked straight through him? 🙂

mema
    Free Member

I was there for a few days teo years ago and quite enjoyed it although it did seem to have a bit of strange side to it. Saw a guy standing on a street corner with a massive snake wrapped round him!
    I'm going to be back in a couple of weeks and was thinking about heading to New York, its only two hours away by train ($40 return) and Washington is only 3 hours way.

BoardinBob

Amazing city. My head office is there and I jump at every chance to get over there. As was said above, it's actually got quite a lot of history (well as much as American's can have)

There's lots to see and do.

Make sure and go to the Museum of Art and get your picture taken on the
    Rocky steps.

Go to Elfreths Alley, the oldest street in America

Independence Hall

Make sure and have a cheese steak at Geno's or Pat's

The Franklin Institute

Head to South Street for some entertainment

The Bluu Martini for the barmaids

Don't go over the river into Trenton, it's ranked the most dangerous city in the US

Don't venture too far north of the city centre unless you're after an 8-ball

Garry_Lager

I lived in Philly for two years – great city. The train is pretty good in that part of the US so no probs getting to NY. As mentioned, some parts of North Philly are severe – the real ghetto.

Learnt to mountain bike in the Wissahickon and Belmont Plateau. The former is a steep-sided valley in a state park, just 5 miles or so from the city hall. Amazing to have this sort of riding in a major urban area in the US. Great times!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

theflatboy, you could at least have put "spoiler" by your post!

😉

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

CFS, theflatboy.. what you mean…hang on…..er…..no, surely not?!

😉

TheSanityAssassin

It's fantastic.

Especially when spread thickly onto one half of a sliced bagel, with the other half similarly coated in either Marmite or crunchy peanut butter.

Trail food of the Gods.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Philadelphia’ is closed to new replies.