Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Pet insurance – which one?
  • spacemonkey

Have umm’d and aah’d for a while but now want to get this sorted. One dog and one cat.

Don’t want to go with the cheapest for the sake of it – would rather know we’re picking one that will cough up if needed.

So, what to the STW massive recommend?

Cheers

loddrik
    Free Member

Petplan, without doubt. No limit in claims.

Andy

Yup Petplan or Greenbee/John Lewis Insurance. Look for a policy that doesn’t have an upper £ or age of pet limit.

spacemonkey

Cool, but is that based on experience or WOM loddrick?

spacemonkey

Hmm, John Lewis … have a friend who works there so will ask them what they know about it.

bigbloke
    Free Member

I had petplan, pain in the ar$% with the 2 claims we had. Decided to cancel insurance and put the monthly premium into an account instead and pay bills from that , much simpler.

Never really got why you have to pay vet in full then claim from insurance, defeats the whole point of insurance really, imagine if health or car insurance was like that.Also they dont insure when dogs are over 8 yrs old, just when your likely to need it ffs (think that is still the case).Money for nothing in my view.

spacemonkey

JL = £40/month for a 5yr old Springer! That’s ridiculous – more than I pay for my car.

loddrik
    Free Member

Spacemonkey – absolutely based on experience. As a longtime owner of 3 Siamese cats, I have had loads of claims with them over the years and they have always been brilliant.

goon
    Free Member

I have had claims with Petplan that are the polar opposite of bigbloke’s experience.

They’ve insured both our dogs. When we’ve been to the vets we drop in a partially completed claim form for the surgery to complete and post. We pay the bill, and leave. We have had the insured part back as a cheque within 5 days every time. They’ve never quibbled.

When Ted ruined a stopper pad and was in for many repeat treatments we had the cheque from Petplan before the vet even invoiced us.

hughjardon
    Free Member

When you say ‘which one’ are you refering to the Cat or the dog to insure?

If you are i would say the Cat, i don’t like dogs 😀

bigbloke
    Free Member

To add to this further my experiences are from petplan back in 2001/2002 so to be fair they “may” have changed a bit.

Rob_S
    Free Member

We went with the cheapest at the time, Tesco, unfortunately they used the small print to wriggle out of it when we made a claim.

petrieboy

Greenbee was best for us. Check claim limits for ongoing conditions (the cheap ones only cover the first 12 months of an illness)

singlecrack
    Free Member

If you have a springer then it will be high ££££££ 😆

Jase
    Free Member

Pet Plan again.

I claimed £9k a few years back and they never quibbled.

Partner works in a Vet and they are by far the best to deal with. Apparantly Tesco regularly call up asking questions about claims, presumably trying to get out of paying.

elaineanne
    Free Member

im with ‘ More Than’….. 😉

spacemonkey

Cheers guys – looks like Pet Plan vs putting the equivalent into a savings account each month. Best part of £60/month for a cat and dog = WTF?

mrsflash
    Free Member

We’re with More Than, they’ve been great whenever we’ve claimed (twice). I think it’s about £10 a month per cat.

andyl
    Free Member

Petplan have revamped their policy later to make it much better, we were tempted to switch but decided not to.

We are with Morethan (missus is a vet so knows of other company horror stories) for both the springer and the cat.

Had the springer from 6 months and she is now almost 3, unspayed bitch and it is £18 a month.

Cat is about £7. Both of them are on the higher rate policy so they get lifetime treatment if needed.

spacemonkey

Some interesting comments here:

More Than, especially having to pay the remainder of your annual premium if your animal is put to sleep!

Pet Plan page isn’t like by AV so won’t post that here.

I guess most people are going to post a review if they’ve had a negative experience … or is that just the reality? Hmm

mrsflash
    Free Member

We had Wellie put to sleep in Nov, and cancelled the policy with More Than, didn’t have to pay the rest and got a v nice condolence letter, and they pay direct to Vets so all we have to pay is the excess. Can’t fault them at all.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Rather than starting a new thread I thought I’d resurrect this one.

Just got myself a puppy so will have a look at the above recommendations. I have 4 weeks free insurance from The Kennel Club and was going to get a quote from them. Anyone have any experiences of their insurance?

MrNutt
    Free Member

after all, tomorrow it could be a childs face.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The Kennel Club

I got a number of quotes and just continued on with them. They had similar benefits to PetPlan but were a bit cheaper. I also consulted a vet friend who reports that Kennel Club and PetPlan are the ones who quibble least and pay up most promptly.

He warned against Tesco and Sainsburys in particular.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Pet insurance – which one?’ is closed to new replies.