Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Pet Insurance Recomendation's
  • valley
    Free Member

Hi Looking for pet insurance for my 4month old Border terrier any recomendation's thanks all

Lactic
    Free Member

M&S have been pretty good for our mutt. Not too expensive and no problems paying out when needed.

Drac

Petplan not cheap but by far the best cover out there.

bigbloke
    Free Member

do you still have to pay ALL the bill then claim it back minus the excess?

anagallis_arvensis

we have M&S seemed the best deal, not used it yet though

grantway
    Free Member

Tesco does one and pays up in and on time. £ 17.00p Per Month
    for a Golden Retreiver.

doc_blues
    Free Member

just asked one of the small animal vets I worked with about this a couple of days ago.

he reckons pteplan, M&S or Waitrose are the best

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Petplan cover depends on the policy you take out. If its their Pet Value plan then it only pays out £3,000 per condition for one year (a hip replacement will cost considerably more than that). Their Covered for Life Plan looks better but its bound to be more expensive.

We've gone for Sainsburys which pays out £6,500 per condition and is not time limited. Our lab's had a hip replacement on it.

bigbloke
    Free Member

I have limited experience, in the early days of petplan, our vet recommended highly that we take out insurance on our puppy, peace of mind no more high vet bills only excess etc etc.

2 weeks before xmas dog needs an op around £325 worth of op, i think ok we're covered. Come to collect our dog, that'll be £325 please…i say no insurance covered so i just pay £50 excess to you then you claim off insurance……sadly no, i had to pay in full then the vet had to fill out the claim forms to which they charged me for £17.50 iirc.

Unless its changed never again, the whole point is so your not faced with high bills surely? No other insurance makes you pay then you claim back does it???

If its changed then its a good idea.

valley
    Free Member

Hi Again thanks for the replie's do you have to pay vet 1st & claim back on these policie's

bruk

Check with your vet.

Most will do 'direct claims' if you have a large bill. However there are several companies (not prepared to name them on here though) where some practices won't do direct claims as they are notoriously bad/late at paying.

As above Petplan, M&S etc good. Most important are life-term cover and a good level of cover too.

mattbee

Petplan here, and my vet was able to claim direct when the pup needed some repairs in the summer after an incedent with a barbed wire fence.

fbk
    Free Member

All good advice given so far. Main thing is go for "lifelong" cover rather than a 12 months policy which pays out on a condition for that year then excludes it at renewel.

As for direct claims, a lot of practices will do it and just charge you the excess. It depends on the individual practice, whether they know you and which insurance company you use.

And whatever you do don't use E&L!!!! Any vet will tell you the same!

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Sister who is a vet recommends petplan also, helps if its a mongrel

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Pet Insurance Recomendation's’ is closed to new replies.