Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Penmachno: S'allright, but…
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Better than CYB. Some really nice fast swoopy sections, little jumps and that, tricky rocky bits. Lovely scenery and views and that.

But….

Bit like visiting a prostitute compared to a really nice girl/boyfriend, innit? Like you don't have to live with the former, and see all the little faults and that, but maybe it's those little faults and imperfections, and seeing them first thing in the morning after a heavy night, that make the experience more 'real', eh? Know what I mean?

Don't get me wrong; I really enjoyed it. We had a right laugh, and I didn't moan once. But it's artificial, contrived, manufactured. I think trail centres have their place, and are great fun. They appeal to people who otherwise might not like wilderness biking, which can be a bleaker and less 'fun' experience. You can do a good loop, return to the centre, get a shower and a cup of tea. Get back to the missus and the kids who've been playing on the zip-line/sandpit/colouring in with pens. Nice.

KevEvs says it's like comparing plastic to wood. And excellent analogy, I think.

We went over to Tal Y Fan after, rode about a bit, saw some beautiful pylons. A sheep looked at me funny, but fortunately it didn't kick off. We dumped the bikes and had a scramble up to the summit. Bugger's been eluding me for 4 years now; you can't ride a bike all the way up to the top though, as far as I can see. Had an 'Oggy'; by Christ it was huuuge. Tasty though.

Lufli* day in North Wales. The rain held off, although we got pretty soaked riding through all the little puddles and streams. Had a sheep jump out from behind a bush, then peg it down the road at over 25mph! Never seen a sheep move so fast. Nutter. Some nice horses mooching about and stuff, Red Kite flying about. Fantastic.

I'm an idiot
    I'm a stupid idiot;
    I'm an Englishman in North Wales.

*(Welsh for 'lovely'. No really it is I'm learning Welsh and everything. KevEvs say's 'coc oen'. I have no idea what this means. I think it's quite a nice compliment or something though)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

WTF?

Where did you get a shower and cup of tea?

It's one the least "artificial feeling" purpose-built trails in Wales?

Have you been drinking? 😉

nickc

then peg it down the road at over 25mph

did you have your brakes on?

donsimon
    Free Member

Had a sheep jump out from behind a bush, then peg it down the road at over 25mph! Never seen a sheep move so fast

Bu66ers are getting faster and smarter, got to find a new hobby now. 😥

I've never been to a trail centre and don't really see the attraction.

North Wales is ace, glad you're enjoying it. Them's real mountains, Epping Forest, pah! 😆

rOcKeTdOg

Wacci bacci?

vinnyeh

Oh, come on. Penmachno is a really good ride by my limited experience of trail centres, bordering on 'proper' riding. Loop 2 in particular is pretty wild feeling.
    Are you sure you weren't at Llandegla or something by mistake?
    Not much bleakness round the South East either, is there.

MrOvershoot

I think they might have only done loop 1 and missed the extra loop 2 1/2 way round?

I can send you a route that includes the top of Drum mountain @ 777m high if you want that is well tough.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

We really enjoyed it! Just saying it felt artificial; Kevevs says it 'feels like you're being led along'.

Loving North Wales. It's a beautiful place. Yesterday, we went through the stunning oasis that is Blaenau Ffestiniog. A village in greyscale, not colour. Today I saw a lovely bottom in Betwys Y Coed. Drove back through the arch at Conwy. Got the eye off a teenage girl; still got it, it never left me!

simonralli2
    Free Member

I got a little bit lost as to where the thread was going when we got to the Tal y Fan section. The post makes Penmacho sound quite good!

ross980
    Free Member

Better than CYB

What?! Really?! I've ridden Penmachno several times, but only because I was staying next to the trail. It's ok but I certainly wouldn't bother driving to it specially. Guess it's all subjective but personally I think CYB is much better

MrOvershoot

Simon it is a good ride, but I think Padded Fred is sat under a bridge looking at his warts 😉

geoffj

Get yerself over to Anglesey for some lovely beaches and a proper castle (Beaumaris).
    Oh and get Stereophonics -Local boy in the photograph on the stereo for a bit of authentic local welsh rock.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I got a little bit lost as to where the thread was going when we got to the Tal y Fan section. The post makes Penmacho sound quite good!

Penmachno is good. Loads of fun. I'm just saying it's artificial and like a prostitute. You now there's no real love involved, it's fun at the time, serves a need, but ultimately leaves you feeling quite empty.

I'd imagine. I've never used the services of a Lady of Ill Repute (I know a surprising number of STWers have had to though). But I imagine that's how one might feel.

Tal Y Fan was good fun. More rugged 'natural' type stuff, following sheep trails. They're agile little buggers scampering around all over the place. Need to learn not to look at people funny though, could cause trouble. The horses didn't give it the biggun.

devs
    Free Member

Guess it's all subjective but personally I think CYB is much better

You have to bear in mind that the OP only did the 8km family trail at CyB and complained that even that was too bouldery.
    Penmachno is as out there as you will get for a trail centre. CyB requires a greater range of skills to ride properly and is more technical. More fun in my opinion too.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Ah artificial – got ya.

Thing is, Peter Crouch has Abbey Clancy at home but then likes a bit of rough on the side……so wasn't too sure where your analogy was going.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

🙄 You can't please some people.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I've gotta put up with the Guy! he's going home tomorrow. Phew. Kevevs.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Penmachno: S'allright, but…’ is closed to new replies.