Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Peaks route experts.
  • SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Group of us going up on the 4 April – some who’ve never been before. I’ve been up there quite a few times, but never sorted route out. This time, as it was my suggestion, I suppose it falls to me.

I’d like to put together a 40 mile route. I’d like to park in Castleton, and end the route with Cavedale descent(then straight in the pub). I’d like to include my favourite descent – The Beast. I wouldn’t mind climbing the broken road, doing the ridge along Mam Tor, and the descent(don’t know it’s name)that veers off left part way down.

Could you think of a route where I could put that lot together, with whatever else you think is good. I’d like another way to the top of Cavedale, than the horrible road climb if possible.

Cheers

crazy-legs

How about:
    Castleton, Hope, Aston, Hope Brink – Roman Rd – Hope Cross, down The Beast, L onto A57, L again then back up Blackley Clough to Hope Cross, down Jaggers Clough, up Jacobs Ladder, whichever route you want then to get to Hayfield or direct to Coldwell Clough (shorter option), round via South Head – Mt Famine – Roych Clough – Rushup Edge, down to the top of Winnats Pass then there’s a farm road (to Rowter Fm), go along that, L at the end follow that track then L onto Limestone Way (Cavedale).
    No idea how far that is but it’ll be a pretty epic day out.

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Thanks a lot for that – sounds good. Gonna try and plot it on Google Earth now.

Does The Beast cross a river, then come out on the A57 just below Hag Farm? Got Hope Cross, but not 100% where it goes from there?

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

OK, I’ve pretty much worked out where that route goes, and it’s pretty much what I’m looking for. I think I can work the Mam Tor in – then on the road to the Roman Road to save doubling back after The Beast, or we could just double back. I don’t think I’ve ever been up Jacobs Ladder before – is it part of The Penine Way? I’m sure when I was in Edale and was going to go that way it said No Cycles. I know a lot of people do it, so I suppose that can’t be true. Think that route would be between 30 and 35 miles, so about right for us really.

crazy-legs

Yeah, can be extended if you want by starting in Castleton then up Broken Road, Mam Tor to Hollins Cross summit then L off there and down towards Edale then into Hope and up Roman Rd direct (rather than via Aston).

Jacobs Ladder is fully legal BW (there is also a FP, the R fork at the bridge).

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Thanks a lot. I’m very pleased how it’s looking. Incorporating all what I wanted in, and some I want to do, and never have. Spot on.

🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Peaks route experts.’ is closed to new replies.