Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Paul Sherwen
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Great picture of our Paul…..where’s Phil?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

good rider, sh1t commentator, no more than an echo for Phil and the phrases such as “job of work” etc get very tiresome (not much better in the early 90’s either, I’ve been watching someold TdF VHS from the C4 coverage)

he also says nothing about doping either, not wanting to spit in the soup?

mildred

he also says nothing about doping either, not wanting to spit in the soup?

So what? Because cycling, like many sports, has people who dope should every commentator, or ex-participant have to air his views on international TV?

I enjoy the insights, of which their are many, so I don’t give a toss.

Happy New year.

Stoner
    Free Member

I have no idea who he is, but I think I like him because of that photo.
    the rest is storyville.

flip
    Free Member

Ligget or anderson? Mr Anderson was my 80’s hero, hars as nails….

mildred

Hinault was my 80’s hero; watching him in the tour made me ditch the BMX (for a short while).

flap_jack
    Free Member

wet cobbles, no helmet. those were the days…

wingnuts

Great photo! Never warmed to him personally but well done to him for being one of those that did the groundwork to show Brits can ride. We always used to say you needed to keep clear of those who wore helmets cause they would be the ones to crash.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

So what? Because cycling, like many sports, has people who dope should every commentator, or ex-participant have to air his views on international TV?

Unfortunately I think that to ignore the elephant in the room is insulting the viewers, he suffers from the “Kelly problem” on Eurosport which quite simply that the subject is not mentioned/ avoided when he commentates but covered when he doesn’t. It’s a shame as I have a great respect for Kelly

I enjoy the insights, of which their are many, so I don’t give a toss

I suggest you listen to Eurosport, far better technical/ insight commentary, Paul Sherwen just repeats what Ligget says and adds one of his “Sherwinisms” aka “job of work” and sprinters ‘licking their lips’ on account of the stage ‘being food and drink’ and the timeless classic “suitcase of courage” 😉

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve never noticed any of those phrases! Not saying they’re perfect, but IMO the Eurosport coverage is utterly dire. I hear David Duffield has moved on now? I think the longest I ever heard him talk about cycling was in reference to the recently released outboard bearing cranks – he kept talking about the riders in the Paris Roubaix using Deore (Dee-or-ray) cranks which had cotter pins. Total idiot. Not to mention Sean Kelly who deserves an award for the least exciting commentator ever.

TiRed

“Great bike rider…”

headfirst
    Free Member

njee +1 re. Sean Kelly……yawn…..zzzzzzzzz

manitou
    Free Member

Eurosport coverage miles better than Ligget and Sherwin.
    Eurosport is for cyclists. ITV/Channel 4 are for non cyclists.
    Oh, and Duffield hasnt been on for at least two years.

aP
    Free Member

A thread with Paul n Phil and no mention of Lance bloody Armstrong yet?
    I’ve never heard commentary by them for anything where they don’t talk about LaLa at some point.

keavo
    Free Member

he turned up at a local race riding for raliegh banana , in the twilight of his career. he won it (a tough race)and i have to admit that with my relatively youthful naivety i didn’t really rate him much ’til that showed me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Paul Sherwen’ is closed to new replies.