Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Parrot in-car bluetooth handsfree kit?
  • dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Need to sort out a handsfree kit for the car, don’t get on with the bt headset.
    Looking at the “Parrot MKi9200” kit – it connects to the car stereo and even plays MP3s via bluetooth/USB/ipod/SD card, etc.

I don’t suppose anyone on here has used on, have they? Even wiring it in should be easy as it’s all ISO connectors…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I just use my sat-nav. Lots of them have handsfree built in these days, and it works very well….. And looking at the prices of those Parrot kits, a good Garmin sat nav can be had for not much more….

http://www.satnaveasy.co.uk/garmin-deals-c97.html

DickBarton

Mate has one and I had a Parrot system. Dead easy to fit and use.

Rubber_Buccaneer

My fiance has one. There were some teething troubles but after updates to both the Parrot kit and her iPhone all is working well. The phone pairs up when she gets in the car, plays music from her phone (you can also plug in USB sticks etc, she hasn’t) and if she uses satnav on the phone the music is faded down so the instructions can be heard then the music returns. Same for phone calls.

It all integrates very nicely & as she has the 9100i there is nothing visible in the car except the microphone up by the mirror & the remote on the steering wheel. I like it, wish I had one too.

Edit to add, as sound comes through the cars speakers it is good & clear. However I think the kit works by disconnecting your built in stereo from the speakers to kind of hijack them so you will lose RDS traffic announcements if you are listening to music over the Parrot kit rather than your cars head unit.

mcobie
    Free Member

I used to have one similar to the CK3100 which was brilliant.

I decided to “upgrade” to the MKi9200 in my new car and it’s the worst piece of shonky sh*t I’ve had the miss pleasure of using. Every time you get an email/text/calendar notification it cuts off the radio/music for 5 seconds or so. Playing music off my iPhone doesn’t fade front/rear as I would want/have for the radio/CD player. It drops signal far too regularly (even when the phone has signal), the voice recognition is temperamental at best and clarity when on a call is hit and miss…

I’d go back to the CK3100 and just use the lead between the phone and stereo next time.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Interesting info – thanks!
    Hadn’t thought about traffic info, but not a major issue for me.

I use Android phones, so the phone sync thing would be done over BT not the iphone cable, I think it’d just behave the same though.

mcobie, if you want to remove that system from your car, i’m sure you could find a willing buyer for it 😉

I’m told that the sound quality is a bit naff at the top end?
    Maybe I should just get a head-unit that does BT & mount the phone in a cradle.

Rubber_Buccaneer

The Parrot kit has it’s own amp so will bypass any fancy system you have in the car & just use the speakers. This may be a decider for you.

I have a Bluetooth headunit in my car, music playback is great but it is rubbish as a handsfree. Usable but I wouldn’t buy the same again. It’s a blaupunkt from a couple of years ago. I suggest you try before you buy if possible.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I’m told that the sound quality from them is pretty good, but apart from traffic info I can’t see any downsides to using one TBH – luckily Halfords have some wired in & on display so I can see how well it works with my phone beforehand.
    Cheers y’all.

mcobie
    Free Member

DR where are you based?? I’ll have a look at costs and see if it’s worth the hassle for me, and the savings for you…

PePPeR

I have the old 3100 and it’s brilliant, I haven’t tried one of the newer ones but if cheap 3100 came up for sale I’d buy another for own car!

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Based in Somerset, could also arrange collecting nr. Manchester tho’.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I thought about the parrot but went for the new head unit with blue tooth and usb port to act as a charger and interface.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Frank – any particular reason? Afterall, the parrot one i’m on about does that too (i think).

nmdbase
    Free Member

I had one, it kept crapping on my shoulder 😀

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I guess the ease of fitting a head unit and moving cars plus the lack drilling or fitting parrot when a decent Sony head was cheap. My old head unit needed a £130 BT adapter.

Now I can use BT or USB playing/charging when i drive.

Also inbuilt mic and speakers for calls.

Only good if your old head unit is poor.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Parrot in-car bluetooth handsfree kit?’ is closed to new replies.