• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Park Tools cable cutter – any decent cheaper alternatives?
  • benz
    Free Member

Or should I just bite the bullet and get the Park one?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Whatever halfords sell? It’s cutting a cable, not rocket science, just dont use wire cutters/pliars.

xiphon
    Free Member

X-Tools do one I think?

Northwind

The Park one’s not all that tbh. Lasts a long time but cuts like it’s a bit blunt from day one. I’d have been disappointed even if they cost half as much. I had a cheapo Lifeline one, only lasted a year but worked better for most of that time and did an awful lot of cables.

These are good:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CABLE-CUTTERS-BIKE-CYCLE-BRAKE-CABLE-CUTTER-/280627829551?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item4156b8db2f

Go through inners like butter, not quite so good on outers, especially heavy brake outers- wee bit squashy. But still fine. You can buy what seems to be the exact same cutters for 3 or 4 times as much if you want a known logo.

Drac

Well I have Park ones cut great from the start still does superb clean cuts every time.

There are other cheaper versions but that’ll be like going for a good dump and only having a fart. Rewarding but not what you were after.

Jay
    Free Member

I’ve been using some mini bolt cutters similar to these.

They have been brilliant, and only cost me £4 from my local DIY shop.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I use a proper pair of electricians cable shears, they’re 15 years old and still cut gear cables like they were new.

MRanger156
    Free Member

screwfix

superfli
    Free Member

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190467191594&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_721wt_696

£1.95 +£2.95 del.

Work fine – why pay more?! I have park tools inner cable cutters and they work as well as.

jamiep
    Free Member

cheapest screwfix ones

chakaping
    Free Member

Well I have Park ones cut great from the start still does superb clean cuts every time.

Same here. Very rewarding indeed.

Northwind

Superfli, better link, nice one- that’s the guys i got mine from but couldn’t find them for some reason

chakaping
    Free Member

There are other cheaper versions but that’ll be like going for a good dump and only having a fart.

I always enjoy crimping one out with my Park cable cutter.

Drac

I always enjoy crimping one out with my Park cable cutter.

/applause.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Park Tools cable cutter – any decent cheaper alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.