Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Parabolic office block melts car
  • brakes
    Free Member

there’s a right media scrum converged on a bright patch of pavement on Eastcheap at the moment

I walked through the scrum at lunchtime, didn’t know what was happening until I walked past and my beard nearly set on fire…
    Interestingly, there were a lot of Asian TV crews there.
    I really wouldn’t be surprised if they did it on purpose for a bit of media exposure and that the aluminium car was a plant.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oddly, even though it’s just over the road, I haven’t got round to heading over to have a look yet!

I did stay at the other hotel mentioned in that article above recently though, the Aria. Could only really see it from one of the pools at the back, but it sure as hell was a bright reflection! Didn’t think anything about it at the time, though, no idea it was frazzling people!

Richie_B

I hope that Mr Viñolyis’ PI insurance gets spanked to within an inch of its life.

If I was the glazing manufacturer/designer or glass manufacturer I would be hastily looking through my paperwork as well. The only people who are going to do well out of this one are the contractor and the solicitors

nedrapier

They say the phenomenon is only going to last 2 or 3 weeks, but surely as the sun gets lower in the sky, the point of focus will just move up the buildings opposite?

wrecker
    Free Member

If I was the glazing manufacturer/designer or glass manufacturer I would be hastily looking through my paperwork as well

They will have nothing to worry about if they have followed the spec (assuming non D&B).

franksinatra

Am i the only person that thinks the building looks absolutely nothing like a walkie talkie?

brakes
    Free Member

no, I’ve never heard it referred to as that either.
    we call it the upside down cheese grater at work, but I like Fryscraper a lot.

Houns

Lolz @ fry scraper

*goes back to looking at the blonde* that bloke behind her is staring at her arse!

nedrapier

Houns, quite glad that wasn’t me! There are some eye-catching bums around!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There are some eye-catching bums around!

It’s certainly been a bit of a Black Iridium week so far, hasn’t it? 8)

franksinatra

so, did the egg actually fry then?

brakes
    Free Member

Black Iridium week

normally I race home on my bike, but sometimes it’s nice to take in the scenery at a more leisurely pace…

CountZero

Fryscraper! Genius, I wish I’d thought that one up. 😀
    It is a really ugly building, though; it has no real redeeming features that I can see. Nor do the others surrounding the Gerkin. Bloke in the paper today reporting on it measured the temp at nearly 98?!
    Pity it isn’t right on the river, could have done an Archimedes, and fried waterborne invaders.

I like the fact that it’s now called the Fryscraper which sounds far less endearing than the walkie-talkie. I hope it sticks.

It might be a non-stick fryscraper.

epicyclo

More to the point, how are those Jags going to survive places like Oz and Middle East?

CountZero

It might be a non-stick fryscraper.

Harry_the_Spider

More to the point, how are those Jags going to survive places like Oz and Middle East?
    It was 96°C. Even a JesusMobile Skoda would bubble in that heat.

crikey
    Free Member

Architect would appear to be yet another title that means ‘pay me lots to do splendidly unintelligent stuff.’

mrlebowski
    Free Member

They say the phenomenon is only going to last 2 or 3 weeks, but surely as the sun gets lower in the sky, the point of focus will just move up the buildings opposite?

I’ve a meeting across the street next week – best get my man to pack the sunnies & slap!

AlasdairMc

we call it the upside down cheese grater at work

Is that to go with the actual cheesegrater at Leadenhall?

I too went past it today – I was in Maplin at about 10 and it was in shade, but come lunchtime the whole area was packed.

woody21
    Free Member

Nottingham had / has got a death mirror that could incinerate pigeons

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/mar/07/paulkelso1

Designed by Anish Kapoor

bikebouy
    Free Member

I rode around the fry scraper today as it happens, nice building that, no jags in sight though 😆

wobbliscott
    Free Member

So that must be how Pinnarello give their bikes their ‘unique’ shape.

spursn17
    Free Member

Well, it was either them or the big spherical place over the road.

I go past it every day and I’ve heard a few people refer to it as the ‘Deathstar’.

brakes
    Free Member

so there’s a bicycle chained up in the beam of the death ray and the saddle is smouldering so they’re throwing water at it. about 150 people down there now…

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Parabolic office block melts car’ is closed to new replies.