Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Parabolic office block melts car
  • Harry_the_Spider
    penny1971
    Free Member

Haha! That’ll teach ’em..
    Wouldn’t necessarily like to come back to my bike being melted to be fair.. 😯

andytherocketeer

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Harry_the_Spider

How did they get a multi-storey Archimedes’ Death Ray through planning?

cfinnimore
    Free Member

“On the windscreen, there was a note from the construction company saying ‘your car’s bucked, could you give us a call?'”

Typo? Or, I think all journalists should add some letters rather than *s!

Bucking hell.

CountZero

It’s such an ugly building, too. I quite like the Gherkin, but it’s now being overshadowed by three ugly rectangular blocks.
    I’m not sure that it would have been possible to forecast this happening, but my sympathies lie with the poor bloke coming back to find that damage.
    I think the note should have said ‘buckled’, but you can never tell with builders… 😉

julianwilson
    Free Member

The ‘walkie talkie’.

[/url]The rather famouls Odeillo Solar Furnace. (BTW its ace, go an visit it.

What kind of sheltered and unscientific life the architects of this building must lead. 😕

Harry_the_Spider

I’ll see your solar furnace and raise you this…

I work for a company that makes bits for them.

CountZero

From this angle, the building looks flat, and it’s actually further away from the three behind than I’d thought.
    Still ugly, though, and looking at it, I’ve realised that that curved face is looking south, so it has the sun on it all day.
    You would have thought that they might have considered how reflected sunlight might behave with that curved face…

njee20
    Free Member

Our new office that. Moving in March. Walked past it today without combusting. Luckily.

Harry_the_Spider

If I built something on my house that melted cars in the street I’m pretty sure that Building Control would make me remove it…

andyl
    Free Member

I’m quite impressed by the response of the developers though. Seemed to have owned up without any prompt and paid up. They should market the marking spot as a recharging point for solar powered cars 😀

Harry_the_Spider

I’m quite impressed by the response of the developers though. Seemed to have owned up without any prompt and paid up.

Well, it was either them or the big spherical place over the road.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Ive visited the Odiello solar furnace, they have a big block of stone that was melted to form glass as an exhibit. Beats frying ants with a magnifying glass.

andyl
    Free Member

Well, it was either them or the big spherical place over the road.

Alan Sugar as seen earlier today in his new office block in London…

Harry_the_Spider

Could you make a Solar Death Ray Tower out of wood McM?

The-Beard

I used to work for the architect who designed that and helped make some of the early concept models. Bearing in mind the lack of anonymity on a public forum I best keep my trap shut… 😉

julianwilson
    Free Member

I am reading this book at the moment.

He is pretty scathing about these buildings in London which get nicknamed by the architect/builder (and not the people. IIRC the Gherkin is a genuine nickname, the other recent ones are fabricated) and then ‘marketed as such: “Oooh look, our building is like a giant shard, we’re like sooooo quirky!”.

seavers
    Free Member

From this angle, the building looks flat,

It looks like a giant dropped an old Nokia.

The-Beard

Believe me, Rafael didn’t want it called the ‘walkie talkie’!

Harry_the_Spider

The Shoe Horn?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

TBH honest I thought that the fact the gent was driving an obviously new(ish) car that still used wing mirrors was more shocking. Come on Jaguar, get with the program, mount the mirrors on the DOOR, not the wing.

konabunny
    Free Member

Impressively pedantic!

corroded
    Free Member
    daveh
    Free Member

Wouldn’t have happened if they made it out of steel.

Best Regards, UK steel manufacturer.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Not made of steel?

What is it made of then?

globalti
    Free Member

Cheese of course.

The-Beard

There’s a hotel in Vegas with the same problem

Wouldn’t it be hilarious if it was designed by the same architect as the ‘walkie talkie’… 😉

nedrapier

I quite like this in the Vegas story:

A totally unforeseen and unpredictable consequence of building a 57-foot curved mirror in the desert

nedrapier

13,000 tonnes of structural and reinforcing steel

That not enough for you, UK steel manufacturer?

The steel frame was made in UK at factories in Bury, Scarborough and Wetherb and was installed by Bury-based William Hare Structural Engineers.

Or did you want it clad in steel too, with arrow slits?

pjt201
    Free Member

Same thing happens with the new front of the Colston Hall in Bristol to a lesser extent. First thing in the morning there’s a spot on the pavement out front which is incredibly hot to walk past/through. The metal has started to weather now though so not so bad.

daveh
    Free Member

Not made of steel?

What is it made of then?

Its a Jag XJ no? Aluminium.

13,000 tonnes of structural and reinforcing steel

That not enough for you, UK steel manufacturer?

The car! But no, more steel use please.

Harry_the_Spider

Wouldn’t it be hilarious if it was designed by the same architect as the ‘walkie talkie’…

Only a complete ass-hat could design two buildings with the same fault… 😀

nedrapier

Well, there’s a right media scrum converged on a bright patch of pavement on Eastcheap at the moment. The great and the good of the world’s media are assembled, filming an egg in a frying pan.

As we all know, frying eggs are to tempertature as Wales is to area.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Only a complete ass-hat could design two buildings with the same fault

Only a complete ass-hat wouldn’t notice the similarity before approving the second design…

kimbers

a friend has been to see it today, its quite a tourist attraction….

GrahamS

I’m quite impressed by the response of the developers though.

I’m more impressed at the response of the owner:

“I said: ‘I am the owner. Crikey, that’s awful.'”

“Crikey” – yep that’s exactly the word I would use if I’d just discovered someone had melted my Jaguar! 😆

wwaswas

I like the fact that it’s now called the Fryscraper which sounds far less endearing than the walkie-talkie. I hope it sticks.

wrecker
    Free Member

http://www.businessinsider.com/architect-behind-the-walkie-talkie-building-2013-9

I hope that Mr Viñolyis’ PI insurance gets spanked to within an inch of its life.

martinhutch

Whoever said modern architecture was all smoke and mirrors?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Parabolic office block melts car’ is closed to new replies.