Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Pannier advice please
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I know its been done but I had a search and couldn't find anything.

Before I buy a set of ortleibs is there anything else I should look at? T'missus don't like the ortleibs because they have no pockets – I think they are a bit heavy. However they have a great reputation. I can just about cope with the cost.

Must be big and strong with good fixings, Front and rear wanted

caradice? They do some similar to the ortleib

Anyone else?

Ta

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Before I buy a set of ortleibs is there anything else I should look at?

No.

Hope that helps!
    Since Karrimor stopped doing panniers, there's really nothing else out there that can cut it as much as Ortlieb do!

Albanach
    Free Member

I've been using Altura Orkneys for the past year or so and have no complaints. They are very solid on the bike and very well made.

grim168
    Free Member

We did the end to end a couple of years ago. The rain was biblical. My ortlieb classics were bone dry all the time. Not the cheapest and not the lightest but worth ever penny.

druidh
    Free Member

You can get add-on pockets for Ortlieb "rollers". Big Al used them for his Gibraltar trip.

Or go for the BikePacker Plus

jimc101
    Free Member

Vaude do a similar range to Ortlieb, I've been using the 2009 Aqua Back Plus daily for commuting/ shopping for 6 months now with no issues, & the 2010's have a better outer pocket. you can also get fronts in the same range

They have a very similar fixing to Ortlieb, worth every Euro in my case, as I ordered them from Germany where they were a lot cheaper than the UK.

cynic-al
    Free Member

V happy with my vaude.

Was previously a super c fan. I didn't shop around as mark sold me his old vaude cheap.

Not looking back.

aracer
    Free Member

Very happy with our Karrimors – not that that's much help to you! The point I'd make though is that our's certainly aren't waterproof, but being fully waterproof like the Ortliebs are is very over-rated – for normal use plastic bags inside work just fine – or if you're paranoid and fording rivers with your bike then roll top waterproof pack liners.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Very happy altura orkney user here . Waterproof for sure.

2 sets
    Used daily on tour for 4 months and then daily for commuting for a year – getting shopping etc

tootallpaul

I had Vaude's and they leaked in the monsoon in Thailand, so I've upgraded to Ortleibs. Would have liked an external pocket, but I can either use one of the add on ones, or use a bar bag.

:o)

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Ortlieb classics really are great, it's so nice to open you pannier at the end of a day in terrible rain and just know all your clothes and sleeping bag are going to be bone dry. Forget the weight and the looks.

turneround

ive got the new altura fuse welded waterproof ones..nice looking, lightweight and have done the job so far…. ahhhhh i remember the karrimors well!!

aP
    Free Member

Arkel have a good reputation, with a concomitant price.

trail_rat
    Free Member

it's so nice to open you pannier at the end of a day in terrible rain and just know all your clothes and sleeping bag

ortlieb are good no disputing that – but the orkneys also achieve the above – the west coast of nz was relentless rain for us and everyday our kit was dry. my only gripe and one that was shared by all those i met with waterproof panniers ortlieb or not – they are so waterproof that if kit goes in wet it comes out wet , my carradice bag on the otherhand is waterproof but things dry – slowely but they dry !

samuri
    Free Member

I've just got some Deuters
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Deuter_Rack_Pack_Uni_Panniers/5360013310/

Nice and light, nice stiff back and I'll be putting plastic bags inside to keep everything dry.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ta chaps

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I bought some 56 litre 'creek2peak' ones from jejames. Been fine for me, though i use them for commuting and shopping rather than touring the world. A super watertight expensive and well built ortliebs seemed a bit of overkill for that. Plus these ones have a few pockets and haven't got wet so far. They have a waterproof cover (similar to rucsacks) but i rarely use it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

These will be used for multiday on and off road touring with camping kit

cynic-al
    Free Member

Have to agree re plastic bags, but it is nice not to have to use them.

What I like about the vaude (and presumably ortlieb) is the huge capacity (great for a shop) and ability to carry off bike in comfort. The click on fittings are great too but I think these are common these days.

aracer
    Free Member

it's so nice to open you pannier at the end of a day in terrible rain and just know all your clothes and sleeping bag are going to be bone dry.

Which also happens when your kit is in plastic bags inside.

imn

Don't Edinburgh Bike Co-op do their own, which are essentially rebranded Vaude? Haven't tried them myself.

trail_rat
    Free Member

rixen and kaul fixtures – work well/robust and more importantly can be replaced easy should the worst happen

55litres in my orkneys

token photo 😉

RestlessNative
    Free Member

"Which also happens when your kit is in plastic bags inside."

I had about 1500 quids worth of camera gear in there too hence my preference for keeping the water right out

ourmaninthenorth

caradice? They do some similar to the ortleib

A friend has them. Seem really nice, and properly waterproof (and British).

Had I not bought my Ortliebs before I saw his, I'd have gone with Lancashire's finest. However, my Ortliebs (Back Roller Classic) really are spot on.

rootes1

vaude do a waterproof pannier.

also always Carradice, retro, bombproof, waterproof and made in the uk

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Pannier advice please’ is closed to new replies.