Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Ovens, built in or stand alone?
  • JCornford

I'm just sorting out my new kitchen and was wondering what the thoughts are on stand alone or integrated ovens?

Taff
    Free Member

I prefer built in as it looks neater. I don't like the fact that food, forks, spatulas etc can fall down the back or side

project
    Free Member

Stand alone,can be taken with you when you leave,

Who wants to buy a new secondhand house with a secondhand cooker in it,covered in smelly food residue,

Can be removed for cleaning,

Dont have such a high fire risk as built in,

Can be replaced easier,

spooky_b329

Standalone but with T edging to bridge the gap between cooker and worksurfaces…as good as built in but you can take it with you when you move. (Will feel slightly guilty when we move as the cooker is a 55cm model so a 60cm won't fit into the gap, meaning the units (and sink waste/taps) will need shunting along by 50mm 😕 )

JCornford

What is t edging?

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

"the edging" in yorkshire?

grantway
    Free Member

Most free Standing range cookers, the manufacture
    requires to add 10mm to the overall width of the appliance.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Built in. Hardly gonna lower your resale price.

GrahamS

Built-in here too, with a proper extractor hood.

Just looks nicer than a standalone (unless you have the room and the money for a range style one)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Built in or built under for me. Got a built under at the moment ( freestanding but goes under the worktop – no separate cupboard for it)

Looks much neater and you don't have to have the hob on top of the oven

Mof
    Free Member

Stand alone for me. Make it a feature or focus point in the kitchen.

ex-pat
    Free Member

+1 GrahamS

spooky_b329

T edging, aluminium cross section looks like a T. The I part goes between cooker and worktop, the – bit is approx 12mm and overlaps edge of cooker and worktop. The front edge is moulded to follow the rounded profile of the worktop, its designed to cover the gap between long lengths of worktop so you might have to file bit off the side of the T where it goes round the front of the worktop as the cooker will be a different shape.

Bought ours from from B&Q, its dark grey and is a close match to worktop.

mogrim

Built-in, takes up less space.

Can't see what effect it'd have on resale: the oven would have to be really manky in a second-hand house for me not to use it, cleaning them isn't really that difficult. Chances are if it's that bad I'd be planning on redoing the whole kitchen, anyhow.

JCornford

A range is out of the question as the house is a two up two down terrace and it would be very OTT. I think built in will be the way to go, having had a hunt around it will probably cost an extra couple of hundred, but it would look a lot neater. So now it's just whether I go for a tower or built under.

ourmaninthenorth

Always freestanding for me (well, for Mrs North – she's the talented one int he kitchen in our house).

We have a nice Britannia range, though I have to say that I'd never buy stainless steel again. What a faff to keep clean..!

GrahamS

Belling stuff always seems to be a reasonable price and we're pretty happy with ours (integrated gas hob and built-under oven).

http://www.belling.co.uk/Built-in-Ovens-Hobs_c8.aspx

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Freestanding if you're in a rented.

Built in if you like a nice kitchen.
    Also A built under double is alot smaller than a built in double. A single is the same size however you fit it.

thehustler
    Free Member

OK putting it like for like some +/- based on both being a 600mm wide version

1 they both take 600mm so take the same space
    2 a built in does usually look neater
    3 a stand alone will have a larger oven (esp if you go down the double
    oven route)
    4 You could use the same extractor ambove either so pretty much negates
    that argument
    5 You will generally get 'more' for your money spec wise for a stand alone
    6 When you come to sell the house you can take a freestander with you but
    a built in is regarded as fixtures anf fittings
    7 Again on selling the two rooms that generally sell a house are kitchen
    and bathroom so long term investment or short term step on the property
    ladder

After thinking thru the above only you can really make the decision, but a couple of other pointers

Now matter how good technology is getting a gas hob is stil more controllable/efficient than an electric one (there are exceptions ie some electric hobs can have built in timers etc now a days but mega bucks)

An electric fan assisted cooker cooks faster and more efficiently cost wise than a gas oven

So if you go gas hob electric oven you get the best of both, and also can still cook if either the gas or electric is off

thehustler
    Free Member

quick tip for ourmaninthenorth to clean and keep stainless steel clean try using baby oil, far better than the fancy cleaning products you can buy

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Built in all the way looks far neater, personally we have never taken any part of kitchen away with us when we move. Current home is last anyway we did think about range cooker but there was more for looks than use.

J0N
    Free Member

It seems that some people are talking about hobs.
    A separate oven and hob is a good idea and ideally(for me) an electric fan assist oven and gas hob.
    The built in option is much nicer looking IMHO but if you go for that insist that the installer puts a remote switch and method to access the Oven fixings so that it can be maintain/repaired/replaced. You would think this obvious but builders will cut corners.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Stand alone get lots of gunk down the back and sides that you can never clean out.

We have just done our kitchen and went for a built in double oven at eye level. Much more practical and useable as none of this bedding down rubbish to put stuff in the oven, and you can see straight in at the grill.

Also means you can have a 6 burner hob else where !

thehustler
    Free Member

Also means you can have a 6 burner hob else where !

can be done above a normal built in cooker, the worktop cut out is actually exactly the same …..but as the hob is wider you have to remember the gap between wall cupboards needs to be equivalently large otherwise you can still breach corgi and therfore invalidate your house insurance

grantway
    Free Member

Breach Corgi?
    Has long as the wall cabinets are 50mm away from each side of the
    hob you are fine.
    If you have no plans on staying at the property I would put in a built in
    Basic S/Steel gas oven.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Ovens, built in or stand alone?’ is closed to new replies.