Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • OT: Vista versus new HP printer RANT.
  • Pook

Will it recognise my new printer? Will it ****!!! damn thing just won’t have it. ?Usb device not recognised. SO I install the dirvers from the disc. Nothing. Download the latest. Nothing. IT’s bong bonging when i plug it in so it’s there. IT JUST WON’T SODDING RECOGNISE IT. What the hell is gpoing oin? I’m normally quite good at this stuff but this is taking the p.
    People say a gold cable might work rather than the £5 jobbie I’ve got.

ANY suggestons?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
    😡

Cougar

The gotcha here is usually that you need to install the driver -before- plugging it in.

What I’d do is, disconnect it and uninstall any software and drivers. Reinstall the latest driver from the HP website, and then connect the printer only when prompted.

Cougar

And whoever suggested gold cables, give them a slap for me would you? Ta.

Cougar

Oh, the other thing is, are you using a USB2 port on your PC, or some grotty daisy-chained hub? On old PCs you might have a mix of USB1.1 and USB2 ports, might be worth trying a different port.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

What Cougar said – both posts although I assume the gold cable bit was a troll

Kahurangi

Good rant.

Try a shorter USB cable and try avoiding any USB hubs you might be using.

Cougar

I assume the gold cable bit was a troll

I don’t think I’ve ever come across a USB problem which turned out to be a cable fault, when using cables with full-sized connectors anyway. Gold plated USB cables, you’ll be telling me about high-speed modem cables and directional speaker wire next.

AdeC
    Free Member

My experience of Vista was nothing worked. Windows 7 aint much better. For example: photoshop wouldnt install, andriod update or sync didnt work, Ipod video converter software etc etc.

Luckily i’ve a spare laptop with XP for when I actually want to do something apart from surf t’internet.

Anyway…your printer prob: The Drivers are likely not compatible with Vista. Maybe have a gander in event viewer to see if its logged an error. Look in Device Manager and check if the printer is disabled. If the ‘new found hardware wizard’ pops up, then maually browse to update driver and direct it to c:\windows\system32 – that might work.

With all windows OSs, i find it safer to install the driver first before connecting the USB cable – no idea why this sometimes works.

Hope some of that helps!

Cougar

My experience of Vista was nothing worked.

Apologies if I’m misremembering, but your problem there wasn’t Vista or 7, it was because you’d installed a 64-bit OS, no?

Anyway…your printer prob: The Drivers are likely not compatible with Vista.

That’s only really likely if the OP can’t read; the ones from the CD should be automatic, and the ones from the website should be clearly labelled “Vista.” I assumed from the comment that “I’m normally quite good at this stuff” that they’re capable of finding the correct driver from a list but I guess you’re right, that’s an assumption I shouldn’t be making.

Look in Device Manager and check if the printer is disabled.

If it’s not connected, it won’t appear in DevMan. If it is connected, you’ll probably see a yellow (!) next to it. Browsing to the Windows directory was a useful trick in XP days but I very much doubt will work under Vista for a device that’s never worked.

With all windows OSs, i find it safer to install the driver first before connecting the USB cable – no idea why this sometimes works.

Absolutely. The same is true of some other hardware too – PCI network cards are notorious for it.

Pook

yup – in defv man got the yellow ! and unknown device which would suggest driver. from the net i installed the correct driver. Still nothing.

Gonna remove from the system and start again. Never had this before.

Cougar

Delete it from DevMan, *disconnect the printer*, look for uninstall options for the HP software in Vista’s “Change / Uninstall a Program” page (or whatever it calls it, can’t remember exactly), then reinstall.

AdeC
    Free Member

+1 on Cougar’s suggestions. Remember to install driver first, then connect the cable

Pook

nope, nothing. In dev man, there’s no yellow stuff, just unknown device. Searching online for driver software automatically from there now.

molgrips
    Free Member

On an older hodge-podge PC several things won’t work when connected to my cheapo hub.

For example: photoshop wouldnt install

Works just fine on my W7 PC 🙂

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I fooking hate my HP Printer…C4480 – it always wants to take over the world when I start up my laptop… I went through all the HP software and binned it all – its ok now…
    However, if you have vista have you downloaded service pack 2? lots of glitches got sorted out with this – maybe could help?

leffeboy

I hate hp printers with a passion, they might be able to make printers but they’re software always takes over yournpc and screws it

For the OP, how about doing a system restore back to the point where you started all this and then trying again withe drivers from the web?

Also try using a different USB port on the pc in case the one your are using is borked

molgrips
    Free Member

I admit, HP software can be shite (pity me, I’ve got one of their laptops) but it seems somewhat unintrusive. As in, you can just not use it and it’s ok.

I’ve got just the drivers installed for two of their printers, and it seems ok. I do use their software for scanning, and it’s ok.

Pook

Sorted finally.

The solution….. different USB cable.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘OT: Vista versus new HP printer RANT.’ is closed to new replies.