Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • ot – fast audax tires
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

tires are spent need new ones(after 5 years and 30k kms !- kenda kwicks)

most of the audax fraternity seem split between gatorskins and schwalbes marathons – depending on what end of the "speed scale" they are at

what do you use for long(200k plus) road rides preferably in 700x25c

Ed2001
    Free Member

Get some vittoria open pave. That's what I have on mine,forget gatorskins they're sketchy as **** in the wet.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Aye i know what gator skins like in wet …. And marathons will survive the halocaust – with a weight to match ….

Will look into paves anything else worth a look ?

Ed2001
    Free Member

Erm…………………………….No 😀

Waderider
    Free Member

I use Panaracer T-Serv Messengers. At the bomb proof end of the scale, so not exactly fast audax tyres, but definitely fast touring tyres. They roll really well and give a smooth ride, nice on a big mile bike.

mieszko
    Free Member

I had some Conti Ultra Gatorskin but I did manage to get punctures from small pieces of glass as the rubber was too soft. I now have a Conti Grand Prix with poly-x breaker and black chilli compound and did not puncture yet, plus good grip in wet and pretty light for a puncture resistant tyre (270g), You can get them cheap at Ribble. I used a Bonty Race Lite hardcase dual compound on the front, also very good tyre and never had a puncture, softer rubber on the sides but hard rubber in centre means the glass will not cut through it, also reasonably light at around 300g. Specialized Armadillo on the front now and seems to hold pretty well, no punctures and decent grip, they are a bit more expensive then the other two.

I did use Vittoria Randonneur on my old road bike, puncture proof but really bad in wet. It was cheap though.

mocha
    Free Member

Bontrager Race X Lite hardcase, very puncture resistant and roll well enough.

MoreCashThanDash

If Carlsberg made tyres……

…they'd be 25mm Michelin Krylion Carbons – done upwards of 4000 miles on mine, only one puncture, really good tyres – think CRC are cheapest usually

damitamit
    Free Member

I've been using Schwable Stelvio 28s with Raceguard for the past 800 or so miles and they've been great. Bit heavy but decent handling and no punctures.

Tried a pair of Conti GP 4 Seasons 28, but the sidewall went after 100 miles – rubbish. Went back to the Stelvio's.

brumsgrove
    Free Member

Panaracer Pasela Tourguards – Maybe a little dated, but they've remained unchanged for (10+ ?) years – supple sidewalls & good puncture protection.

trail_rat
    Free Member

going to pick up some bontys – cheap , LBS stocks em , easy to get before another 500k this weekend – also means ill have a spare tire to carry…..wont be many bike shops up near durness/tongue…..

dont talk to me about conti gps … last about 45 seconds …. do grip well

GW
    Free Member

Damitamit – what happened to the 4seasons sidewalls?

been running 25mm 4seasons for a few years now, seem plenty fast enough grip well in all conditions and seem pretty tough/durable (I'm fairly heavy and ride some pretty rough country roads) . I like em a lot.

druidh
    Free Member

Another happy GP 4 Seasons user. I've been running 28s for around a year now, commuting through Edinburgh and some light touring. Only one puncture i that time and the sidewalls look fine….

trail_rat
    Free Member

was gp4000s i had and they just wore out in less than 4k kms

damitamit
    Free Member

Maybe I just had a duff one, the sidewall tore.

yanboss

Panaracer Pasela Tourguards +1

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘ot – fast audax tires’ is closed to new replies.