Viewing 40 posts - 2,041 through 2,080 (of 12,715 total)
  • Osbourne says no to currency union.
  • epicyclo

big_n_daft – Member
    “The Union has been doom for Scotland”
    I thought that was the Darien Project

If there was ever a reason for the Scots to not go into a Union with England, it was the Darien Scheme. We’ll be more careful next time. 🙂

athgray
    Free Member

As said we live in a pretty stable country. I will say, one with faults and massive improvements to make, but stable none the less.

I have stated that I can see iS going down the road of the Ukraine.
    Can I envisage a country where mob rule and mob justice conquers all. Certainly. I don’t like to point out differences between Scotland and rUK, but if there is, then it is a nationalists sense of political idealism, militancy, and a sense of moral superiority. It can seem like talking to climate camp protesters.

I don’t think the majority of nationalist will partake in nastiness, however I think the excesses of the “Scoattish” mob will be tolerated. “They may be a**eholes, but they are OUR a**eholes!”

Eventually, dear leader will run out of scape goats and he will fall. Can I envisage a mob on the Royal Mile with Molotov Cocktails and flaming tyre barricades promoting regime change or kangaroo referedums? Yes.

As an aside, just back from an enjoyable weekend in Yorkshire. Chatting to people I did not get a sense that I was conversing with people of a different nation intent on electing governments to subjugate the Scots, promote war mongering, and increase the inequality gap. Those that think so need to get out more.

athgray
    Free Member

piemonster 🙂
    I heard he has deep shag pile carpets.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What I want is to live in a democratic country. At the moment I do not. A country with an unelected upper house is not a democracy, no matter how much spin you put on it.

Are you really suggesting that because the Upper House, which has no meaningful power to block the will of the Lower House, is unelected, this defines Britain as an undemocratic country ?

The House of Commons is the supreme legislative authority in the UK. No individuals or institutions have more authority than the House of Commons, other than the EU of course (that’s the hugely undemocratic EU which forces sovereign nations to comply with directives irrespective of the wishes of their electorate)

If you really want to dismiss Britain as an undemocratic entity because of a quirky hangover from long gone feudal days then your obvious target should be the Head of State.

But then of course an independent Scotland will still retain an unelected monarch as Head of State, won’t it ?

I haven’t really bothered much following the Scottish independence debate in any great depth but the one thing which particularly strikes me is how little thought the yes campaign appear to have dedicated to the issue.

Despite having had literally decades to come up with a carefully thought out strategy the SNP and the yes campaign seem to be making it up as they go along. Whether its what will happen after independence or the reasons for independence. The whole argument appears to be based on faith, hope, and wishful thinking. And for that reason alone I would vote no. How anyone can feel any confidence in the yes campaigners is beyond my comprehension.

epicyclo

ernie_lynch – Member
    …But then of course an independent Scotland will still retain an unelected monarch as Head of State, won’t it ?

I give that 6 months after the first elections…

athgray – Member
    …I have stated that I can see iS going down the road of the Ukraine.
    Can I envisage a country where mob rule and mob justice conquers all.

We won’t need to. Scotland will be a democracy, and we will get the govt we have voted for, not what middle England wanted.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I give that 6 months after the first elections…

What’s that based on………faith, hope, or wishful thinking ?

The reality is that you really don’t know what a post independence Scotland will be like. Bearing in mind that it’s a one way road if that doesn’t scare the undecided then I don’t know what will.

epicyclo

ernie_lynch – Member
    ‘I give that 6 months after the first elections…”
    What’s that based on………faith, hope, or wishful thinking ?

Living here, talking to folk. I’ll refine the prediction. The first election after the death of Queen Elizabeth the First.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

So isn’t the Scottish Government, which is proposing that the Queen remains Head of State in Scotland, also living in Scotland and talking to people ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So isn’t the Scottish Government, which is proposing that the Queen remains Head of State in Scotland, also living in Scotland and talking to people ?

I thought they had all locked themselves in a room with the words YES plastered everywhere.

Looking further afield than Edinburgh, a notional non elected head of state that can be above and removed from politics and on hand to do garden tours and lunch for visiting dignitaries actually seems like a good idea. The idea that you elect one person to run the country then another to run the country and another bunch to vote on it is mad. Just look at the US, president elected as the most powerful person in the free world (I think it says that in the application form/advert for the job) then can’t actually do anything as the people who actually make the laws don’t agree with him.

Politically there isn’t much mileage in alienating the Monarchists in your ranks if you don’t need to (and AS needs every vote he can) those that want to believe they will go for a republic can do but publicly they don’t need to say they will.

mt
    Free Member

Can’t wait for the yes vote to be successful. We need a free England, free from the oppression of Scottish politicians at Westminster voting for things they would not allow in their own wee country. After this has been sorted it will be time to make the move for a free Yorkshire (ow much! The Yorkshire war cry). Now that’ll be proper country, them spungers in Brussels will be begin us t be members of th EU. Then if that goes to plan it going to be a free Swaledale (upper), we’ll not have folk from Richmond tellin us owt. An you can keep tha pound.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

(ow much! The Yorkshire war cry)

genuine genius 🙂

piemonster

(ow much! The Yorkshire war cry)

😆

piemonster

Can’t wait for the yes vote to be successful. We need a free England, free from the oppression of Scottish politicians at Westminster voting for things they would not allow in their own wee country.

In amongst the antagonistic charm, this is actually a very good idea.

I still believe the UK would be best served by dumping the Lords into a OAP home. Shoving an English parliament in and having a UK wide government for just the really big things. Like invading other peoples countries.

oldnpastit

It’s often been very useful to have an upper house that can delay and review legislation. The fact that the members are not beholden to party machines to keep their jobs is often cited as a positive. Most are now life peers rather than hereditary.

EDIT: a quick glance through the white paper indicates Scotland would have just a single chamber. The argument in favour of the House of Lords has always been that it helps stop, or at least slow down, abuses of power by the HoC.

mt
    Free Member

Antagonistic charm? Freedom from the Parish Council, why should those on our street be told what to do by those that don’t live on it. How small should a country be? Self determination for our house! I’ll shortly be publishing a 600 page document that you’ll never read that makes the case for an end of the parish council tyranny. It will include the odd bribe of baby sitting for mother. Cry freeeeeeeeeeeeedoooooommmm, freedom for our house and stuff the neighbours.

epicyclo

ernie_lynch – Member

Which Scottish govt? That’s what the current SNP party proposes. They are unlikely to be in power 2 elections in.

The SNP is basically a one policy party, a policy that over-rides everything else in the eyes of the electorate. Current support comes from a wide base of people, eg LibDems, Labour, and a few Conservatives who are voting SNP until such time as we get independence.

They will revert to normal voting habits after independence.

oldnpastit – Member
    It’s often been very useful to have an upper house that can delay and review legislation. The fact that the members are not beholden to party machines to keep their jobs is often cited as a positive. Most are now life peers rather than hereditary.

But they are still unelected. It’s still not democracy no matter how often the establishment tells us it is.

May as well appoint a dictator (in the Roman sense). An upper house that is elected could do the same job.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member
    Despite having had literally decades to come up with a carefully thought out strategy the SNP and the yes campaign seem to be making it up as they go along. Whether its what will happen after independence or the reasons for independence. The whole argument appears to be based on faith, hope, and wishful thinking. And for that reason alone I would vote no. How anyone can feel any confidence in the yes campaigners is beyond my comprehension.

+ 1

You have to hand it to the deceitful one, his ability to unite people who normally/often fail to see eye-to-eye is without equal!!!

The democratic deficit idea is an interesting one when you have a central villain who is himself a classic bully, who shouts down and tries to suppress those who point out his follies (this Sunday being the latest example), who publishes deliberately misleading propaganda and rides rough shod over international precedent and norms. Oh and if you expect the H&Is to be better represented by the current narrow Scottish political elite (cough) then you will be disappointed. The Pareto principle works for all sizes of state!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The argument in favour of the House of Lords has always been that it helps stop, or at least slow down, abuses of power by the HoC.

The House of Commons can overcome any blocking by the House of Lords.

And what “abuses of power” ? If there has been any abuse of power I want it stopped, not slowed down.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Which Scottish govt?

The Scottish government which the Yes campaign refers to……I assume they know what they’re talking about about ? Or perhaps they don’t ?

http://www.yesscotland.net/answers/would-queen-still-be-head-state-independent-scotland

epicyclo

mt – Member
    Antagonistic charm? Freedom from the Parish Council, why should those on our street be told what to do by those that don’t live on it. How small should a country be?…

About 5 million people is a good manageable size… 🙂

But you do seem to have an issue with letting people have a vote.

epicyclo

ernie_lynch – Member
    The Scottish government which the Yes campaign refers to……I assume they know what they’re talking about about ? Or perhaps they don’t ?

They are declaring SNP policy.

Unlike some undemocratic countries the government is not being appointed in perpetuity.

It’s an issue we will have a vote on at some stage. Wonderful thing, democracy. 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

They are declaring SNP policy.

The Yes campaign claim they are stating Scottish government policy, quote :

The Scottish Government’s proposal is that the Queen remains Head of State in Scotland, in the same way as she is currently Head of State in independent nations such as Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

It’s an issue we will have a vote on at some stage.

So why doesn’t the Yes campaign mention that then ? They make very clear that if people want a republic they will have to vote for republican politicians. Quote :

In future Scottish elections voters can elect a party or parties that wish Scotland to become a republic, just as today we could elect politicians to Westminster who want the UK to become a republic.

Your claims contradict the official Yes campaign. Sort yourself out if you want to present a convincing argument.

piemonster

Despite having had literally decades to come up with a carefully thought out strategy the SNP and the yes campaign seem to be making it up as they go along.

Plus another one if I’m honest.

athgray
    Free Member

6 months to get rid of the Queen? None of the unionist parties have advocated this, it certainly does not appear in Scottish Governments white paper. President Salmond surely not. What other policies will he steamroller through when he gets his a**e on the throne.

epicyclo, some of your vision self perpetuate my view of what iScotland will become.

piemonster

Antagonistic charm? Freedom from the Parish Council, why should those on our street be told what to do by those that don’t live on it. How small should a country be? Self determination for our house! I’ll shortly be publishing a 600 page document that you’ll never read that makes the case for an end of the parish council tyranny. It will include the odd bribe of baby sitting for mother. Cry freeeeeeeeeeeeedoooooommmm, freedom for our house and stuff the neighbours.

Sea land aside, didn’t some fella try this a decade or so ago?

Anyway, word is your troublesome neighbour Shedland. Has bankrupted itself with a failed attempt to colonise some shrubbery two streets away. The ruling classes in Shedland are already fairly friendly to MTland, I reckon if you lob a bag of gold through the door you’ll be able to effectively expand MTlands borders a bit.

epicyclo

ernie_lynch – Member
    “They are declaring SNP policy.”
    …You’re telling me they’re lying ?

No, they are stating their policy.

ernie_lynch – Member
    Your claims contradict to the official Yes campaign. Sort yourself out if you want to present a convincing argument.

I’m not a SNP member. What needs sorting out?

Do all future political parties in Scotland have to have the same policies as the SNP? Surely you are aware there is a strong republican undercurrent in Scottish politics?

athgray – Member
    epicyclo, some of your vision self perpetuate my view of what iScotland will become.

Good, I’m glad you’re beginning to understand that it will be a democracy.

bencooper
    Free Member

What other policies will he steamroller through when he gets his a**e on the throne.

It’s really funny how people think Scotland will turn into North Korea – the Scottish electoral system is significantly more democratic than the Westminster one.

A SNP majority is an anomaly – it wasn’t supposed to happen, the system was designed to prevent the SNP getting an overall majority – and after independence it’ll most likely revert to a coalition.

athgray
    Free Member

North Korea? I specifically said the Ukraine more than once. Don’t know where North Korea comes from. WOS I imagine.

For someone who does not follow the indy debate a lot, I reckon ernie is on the mark here.

konabunny
    Free Member

I have stated that I can see iS going down the road of the Ukraine…

Thus showing you know little about Scotland and less about Ukraine (no “the”, by the way).

bencooper
    Free Member

North Korea? I specifically said the Ukraine more than once.

Ah, well that’s so much better 😉

I wasn’t specifically commenting about you, but there seems to be a theory that the whole independence idea is Alex Salmond’s personal project, so he can become a tin-pot dictator of his own little country.

athgray
    Free Member

Thanks for the correction konabunny. Has been noted.

bencooper
    Free Member

Got a spare 12 minutes? Johann Lamont was on Newsnight Scotland last night, and it’s a car crash 😉

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMnWUkW9kBY[/video]

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Nice to agree with you Ben, that is quite shocking. The cream of localised politics on both sides looks wanting. You have to love JL and AS default answer of “experts tell us” instead of “I don’t know/I am not clever enough or can’t be bothered to try and understand.” Always very telling to see when the mask slips under pressure and the underlying motivations become clear for all to see.

The eightsome reel around the lower bands of tax would have been funny if it was not a serious question. And these are the people who would be exercising more power…..

epicyclo

That sort of confuddling is probably why the SNP is getting so many of Labour’s votes these days.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Well dear nicola did say that the proposals to raise tax did not go far enough, so you could well be correct.

bencooper
    Free Member

Nice to agree with you Ben, that is quite shocking.

It’s embarrassing, is what it is – she’s the leader of the Scottish Labour party, if there’s a No vote she could end up as First Minister, and her reply to a simple question on a policy she’s been working on for two years is “I wouldn’t have thought so”.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I wonder where she gets that from, Ben?

bencooper
    Free Member

Well, most recent Labour policy ideas seem to be “Oh, ****, we need to out-do the Tories again” – so I presume she’s inherited it from her Westminster Labour leaders.

If she’d just said that she thought the whole devolution thing was a bad idea, I’d have a lot more respect for that position.

bencooper
    Free Member

Meanwhile, buried away in today’s budget, Scotland’s block grant is being cut in real terms.

epicyclo

I think the real problem is that she is a puppet leader. Her bosses in London don’t bother to share their thinking with her, and she gets told to take a certain position without having the in depth background.

Either that or she is phenomenally dumb. Surely not?

bencooper – Member
    Meanwhile, buried away in today’s budget, Scotland’s block grant is being cut in real terms.

Ever get the impression that the Tories secretly want rid off us, and are pulling out all the stops to guarantee a Yes vote.

We may end up erecting a statue of David Cameron right next to Wallace and other Scottish heroes. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 2,041 through 2,080 (of 12,715 total)

The topic ‘Osbourne says no to currency union.’ is closed to new replies.