Viewing 40 posts - 10,481 through 10,520 (of 12,715 total)
  • Osbourne says no to currency union.
  • epicyclo

gordimhor – Member

@Epic
    Murdoch is someone I would like to keep at the very shitty end of a very long stick.

I agree, but I have the horrible suspicion he has Salmond and Cameron in adjacent rooms competing to see who can bend over the furthest.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Dunno what youse are talking on about Murdoch for. In this campaign TV and media coverage has been verging mostly to pro yes, and the no camp is gaining ground at remarkable pace in spite of that. Imo that is coming from a reasonably positive yes campaign, a grass roots movement and a massive online presence.

The no camps problem is that its run on the media and judges itself by how it looks on the media. People look beyond that these days.

Personally I think traditonal medias days as major opinion formers are numbered. And we’ll see its influence waining more and more as the years pass. It’s far from irrelevant, but its not the only show in town anymore.

konabunny
    Free Member

I think it’s a pretty small target audience, that joke.

I got it too! very good.

wasn’t there a furniture or carpet shop in Tillicoutry that was always advertised on TV?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    bencooper – Member
    Well I laughed
    I think it’s a pretty small target audience, that joke.

No, it was a good one that stretched right down to the South! 😉

After the BoD, the best joke on this subject so far….

ohnohesback
    Free Member

What a startling masterstroke by the No campaign to get Gordon Brown involved! YS must be feeling more confident every time he’s seen in public.

matt_outandabout

It does seem that No are putting up a different politician every week, seemingly no ‘leader’. As opposed to uncle Alex, ma Sturgeon and grand master Swinney who have been the ‘face’ of Yes since day 1.

bencooper
    Free Member

In this campaign TV and media coverage has been verging mostly to pro yes, and the no camp is gaining ground at remarkable pace in spite of that.

Are you sure you’ve got that the right way round? 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

Gordon Brown – the man certainly has charisn’tma.

Of course he hasn’t actually offered anything new at all, just a vague timetable. And why is a Labour backbencher who isn’t in government offering stuff anyway? Or have Labour and the Tories just seamlessly merged into one party?

bencooper
    Free Member

Paul Krugman is wrong, the sterling crisis is about the UK’s financial problems not Scottish independence:

http://www.neweconomics.org/blog/entry/scottish-independence-uk-dependency
    http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2014/09/09/paul-krugman-what-the-heck/

(Two articles, same author)

bencooper
    Free Member

epicyclo

^^^^^
    😆 😆

Meanwhile more love from our neighbours

Better together?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@ben, I thought GB actually spoke very passionately and laid out his arguments very well. I’d take GB over AS all day long. As I posted he has come into the campaign as a Scotsman and ex Prime Minister, the guy and government “you all voted for” (apparently)

GBP is down due to uncertainty over the referendum outcome, the financial markets gave the Yes only a very slim chance of winning until now and hadn’t really been paying a lot of attention. As for “financial problems” given all we hear about spending and a fairer society from AS Scotland will be running a big budget deficit and borrowing a lot of money, like Spain and Italy.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@epic, very good that clip, made me smile. A bit more humorous than “No surrender to the IRA”

On a sporting note has there been any discussion about the 2016 Olympics, the IOC has made it clear Scotland cannot compete as an independent nation in most events as they won’t have had time to take part in the qualifying events. Not that that really matters with regard to the Yes/No vote.

epicyclo

jambalaya – Member

@ben
    , I thought GB actually spoke very passionately and laid out his arguments very well. I’d take GB over AS all day long. As I posted he has come into the campaign as a Scotsman and ex Prime Minister, the guy and government “you all voted for” (apparently)

We may have voted for him, but his record in office hangs around him like a bad smell.

More to the point, he is an opposition backbencher. He has no power to offer anything. Unless he has secretly joined the Tory party, which could explain everything…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Brown is the chosen front man, he is speaking on behalf of the Labour party, he is powerful and authoritative on this matter. Millibrand keeps being branded as the Westminster elite by AS (as opposed to the Holyrood elite that is AS) so it makes sense to roll out a Scottish ex PM

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

There has been a leadership issue throughout – no effectively leaderless and having two failed Labour chancellors fronting thins is not idea versus a habitual liar and bully. No exactly edifying is it?

Ben, where do you find those articles – is there a junk folder?. Look at currency volatility. Flat as a pancake until the pretty much the last poll. There isn’t a crisis (yet) but the increased volatility is directly linked to the fact that people have woken up to the fact that NO is not a foregone conclusion.

We have run current account deficits for longer than the author has been alive!

But if we are running persistent currency account deficits then a weaker currency is a positive not a negative isn’t it? So in addition to feeding the speculators, the DO. Is helping rUK exporters!

So long SChar short Lloyd’s/RBS as the next punt. A bit late but could still run over the next two weeks.

duckman

Outside of Fife pensioners,who don’t understand his sterling work as chancellor, I fail to see the point in bringing him in this late.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I thought GB actually spoke very passionately and laid out his arguments very well. I’d take GB over AS all day long.

hahahahahahahahah aaaaaaaaaaaaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
    Seriously, thanks for that, i’ve got a crap day coming up and needed cheered up a bit.

bencooper
    Free Member

Brown is the chosen front man

I think the phrase you’re looking for is fall guy 😉

Does anyone believe that, if the polls weren’t so tight, these so-called extra powers would be offered? They’re blatantly a last minute manic measure. Of course without any legislation pending, nothing binding at all, there’s no guarantee that even these limited extra powers will ever happen.

bencooper
    Free Member
    teamhurtmore
    Free Member

duckman – Member
    Outside of Fife pensioners,who don’t understand his sterling work as chancellor, I fail to see the point in bringing him in this late.

Squeaky bum time for NO isn’t it. The leadership has been poor. Watching the new Gordon with the fake smile and the slower delivery if quite painful. Politicians!!!!!

Another good joke – you and NW are winning the humour batlle!!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Does anyone believe that, if the polls weren’t so tight, these so-called extra powers would be offered?

Isn’t that part of democracy? People show what they want, politicians try and give it to them?

Politicians really cannot win can they?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

As I posted he has come into the campaign as a Scotsman and ex Prime Minister, the guy and government “you all voted for”

Oh and this – I don’t recall Gordon Brown ever being voted into the job as PM. I do seem to recall that Blair resigned and Brown replaced him in an uncontested election, then went to to lose the next general election. So “guy and government you all voted for” isn’t particularly accurate is it? Still, it’s you, so..

bencooper
    Free Member

Remember that we were never meant to get to this stage. It took 20 years to get a Scottish parliament, and the parliament was set up in such a way that there wasn’t meant to be an overall majority – the referendum wasn’t meant to happen. But when the SNP did get that overall majority, it looked like a safe bet to give Scotland a referendum – let us have our fun, get it out of our systems, there will be an overwhelming No vote and everyone can go back to business as usual.

Now we’re 50/50, on the verge of independence. This was never supposed to happen.

If there’s a No vote, do you think we’ll ever be allowed to get to this stage again? Remember that Westminster can do whatever it likes, pulling back powers or even abolishing the Scottish parliament, and we can do nothing to stop them. If they squeak through this referendum, they’d be mad not to make sure we don’t have another one.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No but there is a somewhat unedifying sight of desperate scrambling with the danger of offering too much that will ultimately unbalance politics across UK and possibly wider. But the modern politics is not to address the core issues head on – hence the DO is allowed to get away with his BS unchallenged.

This is an early taste of what is to come – I hope it’s worth it?? No wonder international companies think we are barking

This was never supposed to happen.

Nor should it have.

grum
    Free Member

I think you have to seriously question whether you’re on the right ‘side’ when you share it with Rupert Murdoch.

aracer
    Free Member

My favourite comment from Brooker

Nonetheless, Ed Miliband will visit Scotland to inspire people.

Well I suppose it might work there, having failed everywhere else he’s tried.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

There isn’t a crisis (yet) but the increased volatility is directly linked to the fact that people have woken up to the fact that NO is not a foregone conclusion.

Any crisis that results from this and the current market volatility is surely down to the No Campaign deliberately seeking to make things as uncertain as possible. If they’d gone and got the position of the EU and released some plans about a possible CU (even if the terms were unfavourable to Scotland) then I suspect everyone would be a lot calmer as they knew, for the most part, where they stood.

A little more respect and a lot more forward planning from BT and we’d all be a better place right now. Less market uncertainty and more knowledgeable voters.

aracer
    Free Member

I think you have to seriously question whether you’re on the right ‘side’ when you share it with Rupert Murdoch.

Sadly in recent times that does tend to mean you’re on the winning side.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@BigButSlimmer – we don’t vote for presidents, we vote for the party which then appoints a PM. It was clear Brown would take over one day, it just took longer than he expected.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Shetland. Is their status really still uncertain ? I just read in a piece of research about Oil fields (Chevron:Rosebank and Total:Laggan-Tormore and 12 other oil companies) that they where likely to remain with the UK or perhaps even independent of both Scotland and the UK

aracer
    Free Member

Any crisis that results from this and the current market volatility is surely down to the No Campaign deliberately seeking to make things as uncertain as possible. If they’d gone and got the position of the EU and released some plans about a possible CU (even if the terms were unfavourable to Scotland)

Eh? If you’re going to blame anybody for things being uncertain on the currency, then it’s not BT. They’ve been pretty unequivocal the whole way through. Though I’m not quite sure you understand the whole currency issue with your suggestion of “unfavourable terms” in a CU, nor the idea of releasing plans – exactly what do you think would be uncertain if they did have a CU?

A little more respect and a lot more forward planning from BT yS and we’d all be a better place right now. Less market uncertainty and more knowledgeable voters.

Northwind

jambalaya – Member

Shetland. Is their status really still uncertain ?

Nope- the only people who ever wanted Shetland to want independence were the Nos. The petition that was announced earlier in the campaign to great excitement netted just 1300 signatories out of IIRC 70000 residents (Shetland, Orkney and Isles) despite being open to nonresidents. (about 1/20 of the signatures were from abroad when I looked)

In other words it’s about 1/33rd as interesting to the electorate of Shetland, as the innerleithen uplift is to the locals.

epicyclo

jambalaya – Member
    Brown is the chosen front man, he is speaking on behalf of the Labour party, he is powerful and authoritative on this matter…

He has no power. That is why he is a front man. After a No vote the govt can tell us to take a running jump, and fancy thinking that an opposition backbencher could bind the govt.

As for authority? The Labour voters who are going for Yes don’t have a high opinion of him, and surely they should be the target market for his warblings.

We were lied to before about more powers. We know the govt is following the Quebec template, and they were lied to about more powers.

Brown is simply diminishing his reputation further by blatantly lying. He’s not stupid, he knows there are no powers within his grasp to give.

duckman

I initially felt it was a masterstroke on the rUK’s part in keeping devo max out of the vote. It is starting to look like a glaring oversight on their behalf.

oldnpastit

Looks like the only rational thing to do with all this uncertainty right now is to convert all of my savings into something a bit less volatile.

Expensive bikes.

blurty

Shetland. Is their status really still uncertain ? I just read in a piece of research about Oil fields (Chevron:Rosebank and Total:Laggan-Tormore and 12 other oil companies) that they where likely to remain with the UK or perhaps even independent of both Scotland and the UK

Yes, I’d heard the same thing from friends in Aberdeen. Shetlanders declaring UDI, becoming a Crown Protectorate and all becoming instant millionaires, A La Kuwait.

Tongue in cheek surely?!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Eh? If you’re going to blame anybody for things being uncertain on the currency, then it’s not BT. They’ve been pretty unequivocal the whole way through. Though I’m not quite sure you understand the whole currency issue with your suggestion of “unfavourable terms” in a CU, nor the idea of releasing plans – exactly what do you think would be uncertain if they did have a CU?

Unequivocal and yet no one I know really believes them (then again, I don’t know many hedge fund managers). Regardless, how hard would it of been to have said, if you want a CU then here’s what we need back, then detail any terms of economic control that Westminster would want to retain. Less uncertainty all round and a more credible position.

duckman

blurty – Member

You are William Wilberforce and I claim my 10 groats and a fast horse.

Viewing 40 posts - 10,481 through 10,520 (of 12,715 total)

The topic ‘Osbourne says no to currency union.’ is closed to new replies.