Viewing 40 posts - 10,081 through 10,120 (of 12,715 total)
  • Osbourne says no to currency union.
  • piemonster

CA?

This thread needs a glossary.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Indeed pie monster – giving ducks history I think we can assume who that is aimed at.

Not really – engaging with CEOs, Gov officials etc. They tend to have a good perspective on things and have got to where they are by seeing thru BS. Yesterday was mainly major corporations from some of the fastest growing parts of the world – Asia, Africa and LatAm and no one could make sense of what was going on in Scoltand especially as it may affect their inward investment into the UK. With the MPs there seemed to be genuine shock that it is so close and dismay. But MPs tend to be behind the curve generally any way IMO.

One scottish CEO worried about lack of access to these events and assistance for his business, UK government guarantees, help with export finance etc. Just little details and minor in relation to giving Alex a bigger throne obviously.

bencooper
    Free Member

Sounds exactly like my dinner parties too. I go through Ferrero Rocher like you wouldn’t believe 🙂

As you’d expect, foreigners have wildly differing opinions just as much as British or Scottish people. My US relatives are all of the opinion that they got independence two centuries ago and haven’t regretted it for a second. Friends and business associates in other European countries say that if it makes Scotland more like other normal European countries then it’s definitely a good thing.

One scottish CEO worried about lack of access to these events and assistance for his business, UK government guarantees, help with export finance etc.

You know that Scottish businesses often have to pay for this help? Whisky producers get charged for events held in embassies etc. An independent Scotland will be more interested in helping Scottish businesses, instead of them being a small part of the UK’s business interests.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

You know that Scottish businesses often have to pay for this help? Whisky producers get charged for events held in embassies etc. An independent Scotland will be more interested in helping Scottish businesses, instead of them being a small part of the UK’s business interests.

That claim was quickly proved to be made up, why are you reviving it?

UK has 200 foreign missions that support Uk business

iS plan 92

kjcc25
    Free Member

Will Scotland be setting up its own embassies around the world or having a room in each British embassy?

bencooper
    Free Member

Probably depends on the country – of course Scotland is entitled to a share of those overseas properties, since we helped buy them, but it’d be impractical to sell all the embassies, split the money, and then everyone buy new embassies. More likely that in some countries we’d share facilities, in others Scotland would take over other UK-owned property (the UK owns or leases over 5,000 properties overseas, apparently), or there would be a cash settlement.

Our embassy network will be of a similar size to other countries our size.

kjcc25
    Free Member

It seems to me that the number of things we will be sharing and with currency union we would have to come to some sort of union, oh!!

ninfan
    Free Member

Ben

of course Scotland is entitled to a share of those overseas properties

Stop making it up!

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/white-paper-is-wrong-in-international-law-1-3442059

bencooper
    Free Member

Ah, Adam Tomkins – he’s not exactly impartial 😉

ninfan
    Free Member

Hmm,

professor of public law at university of Glasgow, world renowned, called to give evidence in front of parliamentary committee

or bloke in a bike shop with an SNP election manifesto white paper thats been repeatedly proven to be nonsense…

which opinion on the technicalities of international law do you think I’m going to put my money on?

irelanst
    Free Member

Can’t see the bit that states Scotland will get to keep things overseas;

1.When part or parts of the territory of a State separate from that State and form a successor State, and unless the predecessor State and the successor State otherwise agree:
    (a) immovable State property of the predecessor State situated in the territory to which the succession of States relates shall pass to the successor State;
    (b) movable State property of the predecessor State connected with the activity of the predecessor State in respect of the territory to which the succession of States relates shall pass to the successor State;
    (c) movable State property of the predecessor State, other than that mentioned in subparagraph (b), shall pass to the successor State in an equitable proportion.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Yes it was debunked 5 minutes after it was mentioned on radio 4, that is why the story died. Or is everyone who debunked it lying including civil servants?

At the same time the scotch trade association expressed concern that they sell to 200 markets and the iS plan is for only 92 missions

Come on project feart you can do better than this 😉

duckman

teamhurtmore – Member
    Indeed pie monster – giving ducks history I think we can assume who that is aimed at.

Its aimed at you of course,given your history of making up abbreviations and new names for everything that doesn’t fit in with your retirement plan,I thought you would be pleased.

bencooper
    Free Member

Can’t see the bit that states Scotland will get to keep things overseas;

Can’t see the bit where it doesn’t either – because we’re talking about immovable state property that’s not in the territory of the predecessor state.

Or is this another one of those cases where for some reason we don’t get a share of assets we’ve helped pay for?

ninfan
    Free Member

Not much use in repeatedly quoting international law when its in iScotlands favour (Oil for example) and then getting all huffy and ‘not fair’ about it when it goes against you, is there Ben!

irelanst
    Free Member

Can’t see the bit where it doesn’t either – because we’re talking about immovable state property that’s not in the territory of the predecessor state.

It would be quite a long document if it listed everything that won’t happen. Maybe you could point out the UN law that matches your position?

Or is this another one of those cases where for some reason we don’t get a share of assets we’ve helped pay for?

You have a choice to keep all of the UKs assets, the Yes campaign had the choice to inform the Scottish people what the most likely situation was if they chose otherwise.

You will see in the quote above that Scotland gets to keep lots of assets based in Scotland where the majority is paid for by people outside Scotland – swings and roundabouts.

bencooper
    Free Member

When Czechoslovakia broke up, the division was done by population – to start with they shared embassies, but what happened with most was that the Czech Republic bought out the Slovak share in most and the Slovaks bought or leased their own embassies.

Though interestingly they’re considering sharing some again I believe.

A similar proposal was made for Quebec, when they had their referendum:
    http://www.global-economics.ca/dth.chap8.htm

irelanst
    Free Member

The situation in the break up of Czechoslovakia was different in that the neither the Czech Republic or Slovakia were a continuing state.

konabunny
    Free Member

Most consular property is rented anyway.

200 embassies for the whole of the UK vs 92 for just Scotland – that sounds a very good deal to me. Quality not quantity.

92 is an outrageous number of diplomatic posts. Why is iScotland trying to act like a major world power? Why can’t it be a small European republic with limited foreign ambitions?

bencooper
    Free Member

The situation in the break up of Czechoslovakia was different in that the neither the Czech Republic or Slovakia were a continuing state.

Maybe the rUK won’t be a continuing state either 😉

Yes, if the embassies are rented, then it’s even less of a problem. We need lots of diplomatic posts so we can flood the world with whisky and shortbread after we get out from under the tyrannical yoke of empire…

duckman

Don’t forget haggis or irn Bru, Ben, both outlawed by foreign countries because of the protectionist policies of the Westminster, the likes of which haven’t been seen since the navigation acts.

kjcc25
    Free Member

Yes, if the embassies are rented, then it’s even less of a problem. We need lots of diplomatic posts so we can flood the world with whisky and shortbread after we get out from under the tyrannical yoke of empire…

Oh come on the Scots were in the thick Empire building as much as the English.

ninfan
    Free Member

I’m pleased that Ben brought up the dissolution of Czechoslovakia as an example

It gives me the opportunity to ask him what happened to their Currency Union? 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

Oh come on the Scots were in the thick Empire building as much as the English.

It gives me the opportunity to ask him what happened to their Currency Union?

They all got on happily ever after? I know they didn’t, the currency union was dissolved pretty quickly. Which is fine, that may well happen with the pound as well.

bencooper
    Free Member

Well, that was an interesting phone call. An older woman from one of the outer islands phoned up, to ask about an electric tricycle I built for her a while ago. Perfectly normal conversation about older batteries, recharging, etc.

Then out of the blue she said “Do you mind if I ask how you’re voting?”

I replied that I didn’t mind at all, and that I was voting Yes.

“So you’re happy to turn your back on England and all our history?”

Kinda realised then that a sensible discussion wasn’t on the cards, but tried to explain that it wasn’t about England (mentioned my English-born family etc).

“But I’ll have to sell my house here, so rich Scottish people can buy it!”

I just said “Hmm” after that, and hung up as soon as was polite 😉

piemonster

My only conversation on it today was.

Bloke “this is like Scottish independence, strong smell, tastes good, but full of bones”

Me “no comment” whilst laughing.

Arbroath Smokie btw

duckman

You got that wrong piemonster. It should be Arbroath smokie FTW

piemonster

Fair point 😀

epicyclo

11 days to the party or wake of our lives. 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Ha, that’s pretty good 😉

athgray
    Free Member

11 days to the party or wake of our lives.

A no vote does not have to be a wake epicyclo. Try to see a positive. It shows that Scotland will not turn it’s back on the UK’s neediest. I think we can all agree that is an admirable sentiment.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

ninfan – Member
    I’m pleased that Ben brought up the dissolution of Czechoslovakia as an example

It gives me the opportunity to ask him what happened to their Currency Union?

😉

epicyclo

athgray – Member
    A no vote does not have to be a wake epicyclo.

A nice thought.

Judging by the remarks of Boris, Farage, and assorted other politicians, I’m expecting a modern version of the post 1746 retribution on the govt supporters and Yes voters alike. I think it will be a very nasty time.

However, I don’t expect to be having a wake. 🙂

whatnobeer
    Free Member

It shows that Scotland will not turn it’s back on the UK’s neediest. I think we can all agree that is an admirable sentiment

Or it shows that that people are scared of change or would rather try and preserve the status quo rather than try and build something better.

aracer
    Free Member

Or it shows that people have realised that change for the sake of change isn’t a good idea

athgray
    Free Member

I did say that SNP MP’s should be ashamed of themselves for ignoring the plight of London’s poorest. Only two of them turned up to vote to abolish the bedroom tax.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I did say that SNP MP’s should be ashamed of themselves for ignoring the plight of London’s poorest. Only two of them turned up to vote to abolish the bedroom tax.

Perhaps they have more pressing matters at this moment in time, no?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Only two of them turned up to vote to abolish the bedroom tax.

2 out of 6. Chances of those 4 MP’s making much difference?

athgray
    Free Member

2 out of 6. Chances of those 4 MP’s making much difference?

I admire their “can do spirit”. 😉

It is as well all of Scotlands Labour MP’s managed to turn up then?

Viewing 40 posts - 10,081 through 10,120 (of 12,715 total)

The topic ‘Osbourne says no to currency union.’ is closed to new replies.