Viewing 40 posts - 9,521 through 9,560 (of 12,715 total)
  • Osbourne says no to currency union.
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Debt being greater than assets (err, it’s a balance sheet), deficit rather than debt……is that enough? 😉

Let you off if a typo on deficit 😉 still most people don’t understand the difference between debt and deficit TBF

molgrips
    Free Member

Are any of the 4 statements I made wrong?

I dunno. The bit about Scotland ‘being able to manage’ seems a bit vague though.

seosamh77
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Are any of the 4 statements I made wrong?
    I dunno. The bit about Scotland ‘being able to manage’ seems a bit vague though.

what, the bit that most people agree on?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Of course Scotland can manage. If there is a Yes vote the UK will be a worse off and Scotland will be a lot worse off (and no that doesn’t mean there will be a currency union which is a massive potential black hole for the UK 😐 )

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

A lose-lose!!!

We are a bunch of sado-masochists – or simply gullible.

oldbloke
    Free Member

Well, you presented it as a fact and it is an assumption at best.

Still, coping really doesn’t really aim too high in the aspiration stakes. Coping is what you do when trying to get to the end of the month having had to fix the car unexpectedly. It certainly isn’t how the utopian iS is portrayed by the Yes campaign.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Scotland will be a lot worse off

Will it? Maybe. Maybe not. You can’t say it with any degree of certainty though. And at the end of the day, I’d rather be poorer and live in a more democratic country that doesnt keep electing **** who hate the poor than one than does.

seosamh77
    Free Member

oldbloke – Member
    Well, you presented it as a fact and it is an assumption at best.
    Still, coping really doesn’t really aim too high in the aspiration stakes. Coping is what you do when trying to get to the end of the month having had to fix the car unexpectedly. It certainly isn’t how the utopian iS is portrayed by the Yes campaign.

coping is all the assurance I need, I’ve stated a million times, I’m for it for better or worse(youse still haven’t provided any evidence bar trying to bamboozle with numbers and opinion that we will be worse off mind you).

aracer
    Free Member

And at the end of the day, I’d rather be poorer and live in a more democratic country that doesnt keep electing **** who hate the poor than one than does.

I’m sure when the poor are also poorer that they’ll be glad they get the government they vote for.

youse still haven’t provided any evidence bar trying to bamboozle with numbers

You want some evidence that you’ll be worse off which doesn’t involve numbers?

seosamh77
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    And at the end of the day, I’d rather be poorer and live in a more democratic country that doesnt keep electing **** who hate the poor than one than does.
    I’m sure when the poor are also poorer that they’ll be glad they get the government they vote for.

They seem to be coming round to the idea. It’s not the toffs and the land owners that are moving the polls closer…

oldbloke
    Free Member

coping is all the assurance I need

That’s you. It isn’t the rest of the country, thankfully. If you’re bamboozled by numbers, then perhaps you need to take the time to work through them. The ability to understand numbers is fairly key to the ability to cope (or not).

molgrips
    Free Member

So, you are prepared to put up with being a bit poorer for political freedom. What about the people who are already extremely poor and can’t find the money to live each month? I wonder if they are prepared to jeopardize their part-time job for the same freedoms?

When a country gets poorer it’s not just like everyone having a bit less money. Now I’m not saying that’ll happen to Scotland, but it’s a real possibility.

seosamh77
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    You want some evidence that you’ll be worse off which doesn’t involve numbers?

This is kind the point, that you only seem to be able to understand things through numbers. It’s not about the numbers, but how things are spent.

Now I’m not an expert here in the slightest, but the whole a few quid better here, worse there, does nothing for me. I think the actual campaign from both sides has been pretty lacking, piss poor tbh. For me that’s indicative of UK politics(and pretty much the only way the campaign was going to be fought).

When/If we vote yes I’m hoping, and yes it is a hope, that the discussion can start to move away from a cold financial look at things and start talking about improving society.

seosamh77
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    So, you are prepared to put up with being a bit poorer for political freedom. What about the people who are already extremely poor and can’t find the money to live each month? I wonder if they are prepared to jeopardize their part-time job for the same freedoms?

When a country gets poorer it’s not just like everyone having a bit less money. Now I’m not saying that’ll happen to Scotland, but it’s a real possibility.I am, I can only speak for myself, we’ll find out in a couple of weeks if people agree with me.

btw, I’m not all that far away from the poor, if things go tits up, particular the property market, which my job is directly reliant on. I’ll be hunting for a new job.

A risk i’m willing to take.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

But who doesn’t want to “improve society”? We differ on means not ends. But at the end of the day we are all economists ( 😉 ) in that we all have to work out how to allocate scarce resources to meet unlimited wants. The question is simple, can that be done better as part of a union or as part of a separate state? To date, apart from fluffy aspirational dreams, the yS has been remarkable for its inability to answer simple questions on this. Why? Because it’s pretty obvious that they know the answer – stay as part of a wider group. Hence the fact that at every opportunity they grasp as much of the status quo as possible – and even worse when that is not available they grasp straws that will make it much harder to achieve the ends. Their central policy is to abdicate economic power to a foreign country and then a group of foreign countries.

When yS are essentially arguing against independence, the vote should be easy for everyone.

seosamh77
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    But who doesn’t want to “improve society”? We differ on means not ends. But at the end of the day we are all economists ( ) in that we all have to work out how to allocate scarce resources to meet unlimited wants. The question is simple, can that be done better as part of a union or as part of a separate state? To date, apart from fluffy aspirational dreams, the yS has been remarkable for its inability to answer simple questions on this. Why? Because it’s pretty obvious that they know the answer – stay as part of a wider group. Hence the fact that at every opportunity they grasp as much of the status quo as possible – and even worse when that is not available they grasp straws that will make it much harder to achieve the ends. Their central policy is to abdicate economic power to a foreign country and then a group of foreign countries.

When yS are essentially arguing against independence, the vote should be easy for everyone.SNP policy maybe, I don’t particularly agree with them, and tbh, I can see right through Salmond.

But an IS is for longer than Salmond will be about(I’d predict a few years, no more.)

oldnpastit

and start talking about improving society.

An iScotland, scrabbling around for foreign currency to meet over-ambitious political promises, might well be tempted to get into bed with whoever has most money, even more so than the UK already does.

[/cynicism]

seosamh77
    Free Member

oldnpastit – Member
    and start talking about improving society.
    An iScotland, scrabbling around for foreign currency to meet over-ambitious political promises, might well be tempted to get into bed with whoever has most money, even more so than the UK already does.

[/cynicism]Could well, aye. Then again, might no.

bencooper
    Free Member

What I don’t get as a non-economist is why, when there are lots of small countries doing fine by themselves, Scotland would be any different. Are our people less innovative and hard-working than others? Do we have shortages of natural resources? What do we lack that all these other countries have?

That fundamental question never seems to get an answer. My belief is that all we lack is confidence in ourselves.

molgrips
    Free Member

But at the end of the day we are all economists

He’s right. Wealth redistribution only works when there’s wealth. Paying for great public services requires money to begin with. That’s why you do need your economy to be strong even if you are not an avaricious Tory.

when there are lots of small countries doing fine by themselves, Scotland would be any different

Well, I’m not an economist either, but I can think of a few possible reasons:

1) Small countries very often rely on something to get business in – tax havens for example.

2) They are often fairly precarious economically as I understand it – a lot of shit hit a lot of fans in the EU a few years back didn’t it? I suspect things were worse there than here.

3) The rich ones have natural resources like oil. Which Scotland has, but it’s running out.

So I think if you are small economy you have to have something else on which to rely, other than just size.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I suspect it’s the poor who are driving the shift towards a yes vote. They’ve got nothing to lose. A government whose ideology is fundamentally against them who implement regressive tax raises and tax cuts for the rich isnt going to help them out any. I’m voting yes in the hope we can do better and have a more equal society. I’m not poor but I’m a long way form rich and I don’t mind paying more taxes if that means we don’t need as many food banks etc

bencooper
    Free Member

People are queueing around the block to register to vote. No matter what the result is, that’s an amazing thing.

digga
    Free Member

I find it interesting that a lot of the same people who want closer integration between the EU and the UK are also campaigning to effectively break up the latter.

bencooper
    Free Member

I find it interesting that a lot of the same people who want closer integration between the EU and the UK are also campaigning to effectively break up the latter.

Whereas organisations who want us out of the EU are campaigning to save the Union. UKIP, the BNP, the Britannica Party, the Tories…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Well WNB you should be voting labour!

The big SNP tax policy announcement is to cut corporation tax and keep it below rUK. Note they have not committed to lab’s 50p top rate if tax (probably sensible there), no new council tax bands, no tax on all those nasty bankers employed in Scotland. Spending almost exclusive done on the universal benefit principle, tax freezes on council tax etc.

Strip away SNP and this sounds more like Tory policy, in fact that is often the case when you dig deep into the details. Plus they love EIIR – so monarchists on top of that!!!

molgrips
    Free Member

They’ve got nothing to lose.

Oh yes they have!

I want a better fairer more equal society too, but I’m not campaigning for Welsh independence, because I don’t think we’d be secure enough.

Perhaps Wales could enter a union with Scotland after this?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Ah yes, I’d forgotten we’ll be stuck with the SNP forever ffs

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

digga – Member

That simple. The UK fits all the criteria for a successful currency union. Which is why it has been a success. The EU does not. Which is why it hasn’t and cannot be.

Google optimum currency areas and then read what the FC says about it in their choice of the best option for Scotland. And then you see the flaw into eh whole argument. Their choice of CU reflects exactly that reasons why Scotland works better together and that’s by yS’s own analysis and admission. They just hope that folk are too stupid to notice. The big throne and the mirror are of over-riding important to the interests if the minions.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ah yes, I’d forgotten we’ll be stuck with the SNP forever ffs

So.. wait.. the reason for independence is that you don’t like the current UK government and it’ll never change. But if you don’t like the current Scottish government, it’s ok to wait for it to change?

What?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

It’s really not hard to follow.

What were the statistics on how much influence the Scottish vote has on the Westminster government again?

ninfan
    Free Member

The big SNP tax policy announcement is to cut corporation tax

Ah, we’re back in the ‘Arc of prosperity’ game again 😆

Welcome to the ‘Celtic Lion’, park your hopes of a bold new left leaning rebalanced society here!

epicyclo

A week or so ago, I queried whether it would be worth shorting on the £.

Is it about to take a dive right now?

molgrips
    Free Member

What were the statistics on how much influence the Scottish vote has on the Westminster government again?

Must be better ways to fix that than independence. I think the SNP would be better off trying to redress that than to simply quit. But then, they are nationalists aren’t they? Which is what this is really all about – you’re English, we’re Scottish, we’re different.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

On the short side – significant uncertainty ahead and slightly weaker ST Econ data (incl yesterday). Against European data and need to for weaker € may overwhelm.

Buying volatility may be a better bet?

Like the idea of buying credit protection on RBS. People will be spooked and the protection is cheap to buy and ultimately RBS will do whatever is necessary to ensure that it remains within a secure environment including shifting HQ s of the border.

epicyclo

teamhurtmore – Member
    …Buying volatility may be a better bet?

I was thinking that. A bob each way?

I was wondering when either side’s refusal to publicly budge on the CU was going to have an effect on the money markets.

molgrips – Member
    …Which is what this is really all about – you’re English, we’re Scottish, we’re different.

Really, it isn’t.

It’s that the UK govt is seen as being dominated by the interests of what is known as the Establishment, with the result that it doesn’t matter what govt gets voted in, we get the same policies.

These policies serendipitiously seem to favour the moneyed classes in the South, while Scotland continues to bleed industries, jobs, and its people, while not deriving any benefit from its considerable resources.

Only the bampots think it’s an English/Scottish thing, and as most of them are in the marching organisations, they’ll be voting No anyway.

seosamh77
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    What were the s
    Which is what this is really all about – you’re English, we’re Scottish, we’re different.

utter pish. If it’s about anything its a rejection of Westminster and the privatisation of the individual.

Convince me that’s not happening and I’ll give serious consideration to changing my vote.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

WTF is or perhaps HTF do you privatise an individual?

Since by definition that is impossible, we can put you down for a NO then!! 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Convince me that’s not happening

Convince me it won’t happen in Scotland
    Convince me it will always be the same in Westminster

And don’t mention the word ‘hope’

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’ll take that as agreement on the direction of Westminster..

molgrips
    Free Member

If you like, but it’s not my point at all.

Viewing 40 posts - 9,521 through 9,560 (of 12,715 total)

The topic ‘Osbourne says no to currency union.’ is closed to new replies.