Viewing 40 posts - 3,961 through 4,000 (of 12,715 total)
  • Osbourne says no to currency union.
  • Northwind

THM, you’re even abbreviating your secret codewords for people now? Worried that your posts had become too comprehensible? 😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sorry people get upset by the full version! Glad to see a lot of terminology has now become more widespread on here. DO, while apt, may take some time. Maybe a few months after a yes vote?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Can you explain how they will have less representation than currently given they do not vote for the current govt that represents them?

Northwind

teamhurtmore – Member

“My argument is that if you are promoting it as authentic and of great worth, you cannot promote it from a nation of drunks.”

Put it in its context…

“I promote whisky. I do it on the argument that it’s a quality drink, has a worldwide cachet and that its recent great success in markets like China is about social emulation and authenticity, not cheapness. My argument is that if you are promoting it as authentic and of great worth, you cannot promote it from a nation of drunks.”

He does promote it as authentic and of great worth, ergo, he does not think Scotland is a nation of drunks.

piemonster

Can’t help but think he’s (AS) has been caught out here. Not necessarily by any genuine fault other than saying things to the wrong people that can be portrayed in a negative light. With such scrutiny as there is at present not easy, but he must know that even the slightest wrong word will be used against him.

Northwind

Half agree but at the same time, when you’ve got people with an agenda they’ll find something they can misrepresent, unless you take a vow of silence in which case it’ll be “Salmond refuses to condemn…” “Salmond silent on key issue” 😉

I think this one’s quite interesting in what it says about the national debate tbh. You have outright misrepresentation to create a story without any factual basis. You’ve got serious people queuing up to be offended. And you’ve got a national press willing to print it on the front page. Meanwhile, the conservative health spokesman is ignoring a debate on public health, which is his actual job, in order to have a hysterical swipe at Salmond

It’s that old Singletrack thing, if you’re resorting to making shit up in order to attack your opponent, what does that say about your argument?

piemonster

You’ve got serious people queuing up to be offended

Bloody STW big hitters again eh!

In general I agree. Just seems like a couple of easy (cheap) goals for headlines that he really should not have given.

It’s quite easy to discuss Putin without giving a soundbite perfect for a sensationalist headline. Even without Ukraine you could be flamed due to gay rights issues among others.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

FFS, get some context. AS made a slip and I was having a laugh. Just because one poll goes badly don’t lose the SOH. That is what is required if you are a YS supporter after all.

But great revisionism NW, he would be proud!

piemonster

Does anyone know why the picture is being used in the following article.

Seems a bit random.

While we’re investigating

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Trying to distract from more important news such as the latest moodys comments?

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d0cb2cf2-d151-11e3-81e0-00144feabdc0.html#axzz30JQpMdLl

piemonster

Yeh, I read that earlier today at work.

Although it’s behind a paywall now unfortunately.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Another name to add to the discredited bully list!

piemonster

Moody’s added that a currency union with the rest of the UK would not be good for the Britain’s rating and that the adoption of its own currency would be the best outcome.

“A potential currency union with the remainder of the UK would be credit negative if it were to materialise. However, cross-party opposition to such an outcome makes this unlikely,” said Moody’s.

Not sure about this photo.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/10802400/Scottish-yes-vote-could-improve-UK-credit-says-Moodys.html

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Although it’s behind a paywall now unfortunately.

I’ve just figured out how to circumvent the paywall. The FT has always allowed free access through google news, so stop loading the page just before the paywall appears, and the headline will have loaded, copy the headline and paste it for a search under google news, that will take you to the article without the paywall.

Interesting article btw.

Northwind

teamhurtmore – Member

But great revisionism NW

No revisionism whatsoever, direct quotes in context. Salmond simply didn’t say what people are claiming, he’s been intentionally quoted out of context in order to deceive. Which, hey, actually is revisionism.

Ironic that you say “get some context” in response to a post doing exactly that though 😉

konabunny
    Free Member

Do you think you should only do something when there are “overwhelming reasons” to do so?

Well, when it’s a process as big and expensive as secession – yes, I think so.

Put it this way: there has been lots of talk about how Scotland must be a fairer, more egalitarian society. There has been very little discussion of the difficult and complex changes that would be required to achieve a significant restructuring of Scottish society, education, business or military policy.

gordimhor

decent journalism not dead in Dundee At least The Courier seems to have managed to come up with a fairly level headed factual interpretation of Mr Salmonds comments on Scotlands relationship with alcohol.

bencooper
    Free Member

Put it this way: there has been lots of talk about how Scotland must be a fairer, more egalitarian society. There has been very little discussion of the difficult and complex changes that would be required to achieve a significant restructuring of Scottish society, education, business or military policy.

Why would Scottish society have to be restructured? And our education system is already separate. I’m not playing down the work that’ll be needed to separate Scotland from the rUK, but I don’t think it’s beyond us.

In many ways, it could also be a good thing – instead of kludging more onto what we have, we can build anew.

bencooper
    Free Member

Meanwhile, the No side now has it’s own grassroots campaign – No Borders, which has been getting a surprising amount of press. Surprising for an organisation no-one had heard about last week.

Still, someone must have heard of them – they’ve already raised £140,000, and aim to raise £500,000. Which is interesting because they’re only allowed to spend £150,000 under election rules.

What’s also interesting is that this “grassroots” campaign was started by a millionaire Tory, who also wrote the blueprint for austerity.

Northwind

bencooper – Member

Why would Scottish society have to be restructured?

We don’t have to change a thing, but the drawback of that is that we’ll end up not changing a thing 😆

bencooper
    Free Member

True 😉

It’ll be interesting to see how we cope without adult supervision…

aracer
    Free Member

Ah, but it would be a government you voted for doing exactly the same thing.

duckman

Education has had plenty of change recently, ta very much. We are currently trying to get another day in the week so we can find time to bring the new highers in. Oh, and an organ sale or two to pay for the books. Mind you,there is a silver lining;if Eck gets his minimum unit pricing in,Scottish liver will be a premium product.

piemonster

It’ll be interesting to see how we cope without adult supervision…

It’s ok, I’m here to keep an eye on you to make sure you don’t do anything silly. Such as not perpetuate a society that allows the rich to get richer and the poor to get left behind. Or heaven forbid, elect a government the Scottish electorate voted for.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Finish line fever induces sloppy choice of words – Putin, Murdoch, Nation of Drunks – for man who delights in scrutinising and twisting (assets) words for his own convenience, this all seems a little slack. The euphoria of the polls must be getting to him. Hopefully the last poll will restore an element of “sobriety” to proceedings.

konabunny
    Free Member

Why would Scottish society have to be restructured?

If everything is mostly fine and there’s no need to restructure anything, then why bother going to the trouble of secession?

I’m not playing down the work that’ll be needed to separate Scotland from the rUK, but I don’t think it’s beyond us.

You’re exactly proving my point. You’re so focused on separation, you’re not even engaging with what needs to happen on Day 1 of iScotland. You in particular spout all this stuff about how Scots have different social values and how great it would be to be a Scandinavian style small social democracy, and the SNP is referred to as a social democratic/soft left party, but there is very little discussion about the changes that would be necessary to do that.

Isn’t now the time for radical ideas about demilitarisation, renationalisation or stripping down the state, slashing state expenditure or providing minimum citizens incomes, environmental sustainability? What’s the point of recreating the UK state on a smaller scale? At present, the changes brought about by Scottish independence are lining up to be less transformative than New Labour’s election in 1997!

Junkyard
    Free Member

but it would be a government you voted for doing exactly the same thing.

Not exactly , it would clearly be different from rUK

Pro the EU
    Anti Nukes

for man who delights in scrutinising and twisting (assets) words for his own convenience, this all seems a little slack

Thanks god you dont do this and are so ready to explain your outbursts/hyperbole when questioned on them 😀

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Not exactly , it would clearly be different from rUK

Pro the EU
    Anti Nukes

The list seems endless. It must have taken you ages to compose ?

An independent Scotland will be in the EU while the rest of the UK won’t be. Maybe.

An independent Scotland will hopefully not have any nuclear weapons while the rest of the UK will.

That’s the conclusion we come to after over a hundred pages of debate on the subject. And some people say that they case for independence hasn’t been made !

Junkyard
    Free Member

I very much doubt listing more will change your mind so i saved myself some time and even more effort.

Point remains it wont be exactly the same as arcaer claims and that was the specfic point i addressed

aracer
    Free Member

To be fair ernie, an independent Scotland also won’t have the pound.

duckman

But since we are

“saltire-waving mel gibson wannabes”

According to you, maybe more complex reasons would confuse us?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Eg, deciding whether a currency is an asset, a liability or neither? 😉

duckman

Thankfully Alex is sure and he has said that we don’t need to worry,as our lack of debt will be an asset and rUK paying for the share of debt we left behind will be a liability. And he has said that neither Mrs Duckman nor I will ever struggle to find the money for blue facepaint …

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

QED. Brilliant!

(Although tbf, smiley or no smiley, that did have to be a joke!}

jambalaya
    Free Member

I thought I’d check back in after another 1,000 posts on here and do my bit to get it to 4,000.

Re: Assets, instead of thinking of things which somehow Scotland owns and has “paid for” perhaps think of Scotland as leasing everything, when you stop making the lease payments (ie tax to HMRC) the asset goes back to it’s owner (the UK). On a related point the UK debt is actually what has paid for a lot of things, so if Scotland doesn’t take debt it won’t get any assets.

gavstorie
    Free Member

To be fair ernie, an independent Scotland also won’t have the pound.

Which pound? The Egyptian Pound, The Lebanese Pound, The Syrian Pound how about the Sudanese Pound….

Good chance there will be a Scottish Pound to add to that list as well..

gavstorie
    Free Member

I thought I’d check back in after another 1,000 posts on here and do my bit to get it to 4,000.

Re: Assets, instead of thinking of things which somehow Scotland owns and has “paid for” perhaps think of Scotland as leasing everything, when you stop making the lease payments (ie tax to HMRC) the asset goes back to it’s owner (the UK). On a related point the UK debt is actually what has paid for a lot of things, so if Scotland doesn’t take debt it won’t get any assets.

Thats a great idea…. Likewise the money gained from Scottish Oil revenues shouldn’t be looked at as a UK resource… The money from them should be treated as a loan which should be repaid if independence is gained..

duckman

err yes THM, That was a joke, we don’t buy blue facepaint, we just make it ourselves.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

4000 had to be done!

Viewing 40 posts - 3,961 through 4,000 (of 12,715 total)

The topic ‘Osbourne says no to currency union.’ is closed to new replies.