• This topic has 43 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Organ donorship
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Just seen the news piece about ‘selling’ organs in return for free burials.

So – who is on the donor list and who won’t do it in a month of wet Sundays.

I am – they are free to slice me up any way they want once I am dead – I have been a registered donor since I can remember.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Yes – they can have anything except my eyes.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

That is really odd – an ex once said the same and I really couldn’t understand the reasoning (and I was going to mention her stance in my OP).

swavis

Yes, and I’ve let my family know too.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

We’ve done this one to death before IIRC (‘scuse the pun :lol:) (when the ‘Opt Out’ proposal was on the cards again).

I’m on and they can use whatever might still be useful.

One of the guys who rides with us has someone else’s heart inside him.

Why would anyone [with any sense] not want to give up their organs?

alfabus
    Free Member

i’m registered, they can have the lot.

i also don’t understand the eyes thing – it seems that lots of people use exactly this line; has it come from a film or something?

Dave

crikey
    Free Member

They don’t take your eyes.

They can use your corneas to do corneal transplants, but not your eyes.

bazzer
    Free Member

On the list and they can have anything they want.

lunge

Yep, on the list and they can take whatever they want, it is no use to me once I am brown bread.

https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/ukt/RegistrationForm.do

Junkyard
    Free Member

eye/corneal transplant is the most common transplant and the oldest as well iirc in the Uk. I am a recipient and wont go blind- will see my kids grow up etc- due to the actions of one person .. a debt I can never repay but thanks you whoever you were.
    Oddly it means I can no longer donate my organs , bone marrow or blood

Please go on the list it is life changing for those on the recieving end. Seriously life changing , filling up just thinking about it please do it

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

They don’t take your eyes.

But they may use them for medical students surely?

crikey
    Free Member

Leaving your body to a medical school for training purposes is a different thing, and is usually arranged directly with the school. As far as I’m aware, there are no arrangements for individual or pairs of solitary organs to be used in that way.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Yep Donor list is very different to having your body used for medical research.

To be a Donor you have to be pretty fresh dead, and then your uses are limited. Medical research is very different and you have to sign up to it. Mrs FD has signed up to have her brain sliced up in to little bits for medical research.

The eyes thing is weird, Mrs FD tends to say thats one way you can tell people are dead as the life goes out of the eyes, so I cant see why you wouldnt give them up.

Flaperon

Never understood the eye thing. My grandma died this summer aged 90; her corneas helped two people get their sight back. How awesome is that?

Donation should be opt out. Questions phrased along the lines of “I consent to donate or receive [organ].” Families should not have the authority to override the deceased’s wishes.

yunki
    Free Member

my uncle needed a kidney transplant when I was 22.. I offered him one of mine but he refused saying that he’d rather take his chances..

he had one of my mums in the end

johnners
    Free Member

I’m down to give anything they can use.

Why would anyone [with any sense] not want to give up their organs?

I don’t know, but it’s their personal choice and one which they shouldn’t have to explain or justify.

Limy
    Free Member

I have been meaning to register for a long long time now but never got round to it. This thread has just reminded me and I am now registered (thanks for the link Lunge).

When I am dead I am happy for someone to use any organs or any of the metal bits in me that can still be put to some use.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I’ve been a donor since I was of age to be, and can’t understand the position of people who aren’t, takes selfishness to a whole new level.

knottie8
    Free Member

I have been a donor card carrier for as long as I can remember .I would like to think you would carry a card/donor too as my son is on the waiting list for a secondhand liver .

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Sorry, forgot I’d posted on this thread. I’m not sure why, I just find it weird.

philconsequence
    Free Member

they can have whatever they want from my dead body, as long as the rest is thrown into the deep sea for the sharks to eat 😀

cranberry
    Free Member

All my bits are up for grabs if I snuff it.

I don’t get those people who are not willing to recycle and will simply put themselves in consecrated landfill or have the most expensive BBQ of their lives when they can’t enjoy it.

trb
    Free Member

I’m on the list, and I carry a card, and my family know that I’ll come back and haunt them if they override my wishes (or if they leave flowers by the roadside should I become a traffic statistic, but that’s another topic)

sofatester
    Free Member

I don’t get those people who are not willing to recycle and will simply put themselves in consecrated landfill or have the most expensive BBQ of their lives when they can’t enjoy it.

😆

Hope you don’t mind if I borrow that for use against my more religious friends!

morgs
    Free Member

radtothepowerofsik – Member

This. I know it is irrational, but I don’t care. No one’s touching my eyes!

djglover
    Free Member

I think you should be automatically opted in to donorship, with an opt out option rather than the current system.

cranberry
    Free Member

Hope you don’t mind if I borrow that for use against my more religious friends!

Feel free, and have fun.

I think you should be automatically opted in to donorship, with an opt out option rather than the current system.

I have to say I am completely opposed to this, I understand the motives of those who want to use this method to increase the number of donors, but my bits are mine to give, and should never be considered as someone else’s to take if I don’t manage to register my objection.

D0NK

Take your pick, my family know this but I’m not on the list as I’m rubbish. Definitley one of those things they should make opt out.

(EDIT) you’ve shamed me into action, now on the list only took 2mins too.

yunki
    Free Member

my bits are mine to give, and should never be considered as someone else’s to take if I don’t manage to register my objection.

can you explain why..?

alfabus
    Free Member

but I’m not on the list as I’m rubbish.

get on the list then…. if you’ve got time to post here, you’ve got time to register:
    https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/ukt/RegistrationForm.do

Dave

edit: looks like you’ve already done it – well done!

geetee1972
    Free Member

but my bits are mine to give

Yeah but they aren’t your bits are they, which is why we have this problem in the first place.

Doesn’t matter who you think owns your bits or what list you’re on. When you’re on the slab it is the next of kin who has the final say not you or the list.

I’d go a step further than opt in. I would be in favour of a law that says the state owns your body when you die and has first refusal over anything and everything. Your next of kin can own the memories.

D0NK

but my bits are mine to give, and should never be considered as someone else’s to take if I don’t manage to register my objection.

if you feel so strongly about it surely you would opt out? Obviously in the incidents of minors they would need parents permission.

cranberry
    Free Member

Yeah but they aren’t your bits are they

I’ve bought and paid for this belly, raised on the finest Guinness and pies, so I am pretty sure it belongs to me.

If you don’t own your own body who does ?

Donk, I have a printer that I am giving to a friend because I no longer have use for it. I am happy that someone else will make use of something that for me no longer has any utility or much worth. Chances are if the friend remembers/gets round to it he’ll slip me a bottle of wine or two. I would be rather unhappy with friends popping round with a stack of post-it notes with their names written on them, slapping the post-its on random items and announcing “that’s mine when you’ve breathed your last”.

GrahamS

Good to see so many people on the list. Please make sure you’ve talked to your kin about your wishes too as ultimately it is them that have the say, regardless of whether you carry a card or not.

I used to be squeamish about the eyes thing too. No real idea why.
    Very nearly ticked the “don’t take my eyes” box, but a long chat about it with the missus soon put me right. 😀

geetee1972
    Free Member

If you don’t own your own body who does ?

Seriouly your next of kin do. As Graham points out, it’s they that have the ultimate say. All the register/donar card does is alert them to your wishes, but the actual decision to allow donation or not rests with your next of kin.

crikey
    Free Member

As noted above, the way consent is obtained for organ donation is by asking the family, so if you are happy with being a donor, please, please, please make sure that your family, your next-of-kin are aware of your wishes.

I do a fair amount of work with people involved in organ donation and transplant, it really does help to save lives and transform the way that very sick people and their families live.

D0NK

but what if I want to be an organ donor but my estranged family are devout anti donation religeous types or just squeamish, who will never ever give consent?

Can you change your next of kin to a friend for example? (I know an SO will be NoK but what if you don’t have one?)

<just wondering like>

hora
    Free Member

They really need to sort out the mixed messages on organ donation.

Stories like this (I read it in the Telegraph at the time) really do hurt/put people off from registering. **** stupid.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1278963/Hospital-flouts-rules-banning-organ-transplants-foreign-private-patients.html

crikey
    Free Member

You can nominate someone, but its all tricky. I suspect the transplant coordinator would, in most cases, take the views of the family into consideration, whatever your relationship.

weirdnumber
    Free Member

I would be happy to donate but just like I can’t give blood I don’t think I can donate organs either as I had cancer in my teens.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Organ donorship’ is closed to new replies.