Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Orange P7 the one with the …
  • toby1

Hi,

So I'm suffering with a slipping seatpost on my P7, I have the one that fits 29.6 but is shimmed to 27.2 and I have a bog standard QR clamp on it. Does anyone know of an off the shelf halway decent 29.6 seattube? I tralwed everywhere I could think of last night and came up with nothing.

Or shall I just replace the clamp and deal with having an ugly shim in there forever?

enfht
    Free Member

I know the pain you're going through!!

1 – Ditch the crappy clamp that came with the bike

2 – Add 50% carbon assembly gel, 50% general purpose bike grease to the seatpost (NOT the underside of the shim)wipe off the excess

3 – Use a different clamp such as a Hope QR

Other P7 owners have succeeded with skipping step 2 and not using any lube, I didnt, I found it still either slipped, creaked or both.

Good luck

EDIT – I dont know about removing the shim and putting in a bigger seatpost but if you get anywhere with this please update this thread

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

I've got a 2010 P7,with no shim.The seatpost still slipped.I binned the crappy OE clamp and fitted a Hope non QR clamp. That's fixed it.

toby1

enfht – stupid question but what size seat clamp did you buy? a 30.0mm?

I'll be putting my retro-freak friend onto sourcing some NOS 29.6's, maybe Whiskers have something of use – I'll let you know what we find 🙂

rc200f8
    Free Member

I've got a tidy retro (1993) black syncros 29.6mm x 425mm that I used to have in my P7, Yours for £30.00 with recorded delivery. Mail me if interested & I'll send some pictures.
    Iain

enfht
    Free Member

2008 frame if that makes any difference (dont think it does)

crankboy
    Free Member

Hope non quick release clamp was my way forward.

br1zz
    Free Member

+1 for ditching the standard clamp.
    I put a 30.0 hope QR on my post after having the same trouble on a 2010 frame (no shim).
    Although it still slipped initially unless I tightened the QR heroically, it's now fine (?!) shame about how it looks – the post is a real mess after managing to slip with the original clamp tightened (beyond) fully.

toby1

Thanks for the feedback gents – and thanks for the offer rc200f8. I think I'll try a new clamp and see how that goes.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Orange P7 the one with the …’ is closed to new replies.