Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Orange Gyro + angleset v Segment
  • tinytim

Would be grateful of some advice

I know that the new Orange Segment is rad to the core and full of Gnar, but in the real world could the same job be achieved with an angleset and a Gyro?

(Gyros seem pretty heavily discounted at the moment and I’d need one in XL anyway at 6’4″)

Interested particularly in opinions of current Gyro owners / people who have tried both

(yadda yadda filing cabinets etc… and no I don’t drive an Audi; started mountain biking on a clockwork a while ago)

z1ppy

Doubt many ppl have actually tried (had chance to try) both though I am also wondering about this too. The last gyro on ebay went for a reasonable price (classified users are still dreaming), though I do wonder if it was still too much. Also all the LBS are now dumping Gyro’s on ebay, after months of none at all, and bikescene have been discounting them ‘frame only’ all year.
    Assuming no bargain Gyro frames appear in the mean time, I think I am going to get a demo on both before deciding.
    I have tried a Gyro previously and was extremely impressed, enough to put me off buying what had been my 1st choice of new FSer. Trouble is when you can get a Works T-129 for £5-600 cheaper than a decent spec’d Segment, a 2nd hand Gyro frame & angleset looks appealing… decisions decisions…

PS. have you seen the orange offers…. 2XL Gyro’s on there.

tinytim

Thanks z1pps

It was the orange offers that prompted the post…!

SimonR

Also pondered on this one …

Got a Gyro from the Orange offers page a couple of months ago – excellent condition, great spec and a massive saving. Also looked at that Bikescene offer but in the end went for a full build.

Slightly flexy back end but nothing that really bothers me – wonder whether they’ve addressed this on the Segment?

Loving the Gyro for the bulk of the UK riding I do – not sure the geometry changes on the segment would really make much difference to me although I might try an angleset when it’s time to change.

01-P7092764 by Simon_R, on Flickr

z1ppy

I kinda assumed the 142 rear hub on the Segment vs 135 on the Gyro, might help the stiffness?
    Also have to question the warranty… The Five (650 only or alpine too?) now has 5 years, so will the rest get it any-time soon?

Bregante

Iv’ve had my gyro since February and love it. Very capable bike. I sold my 29er hardtail and my 140mm 26″ full sus and this is now and will be for the forseeable future, my only mountain bike. The only thing niggling away at the back of my mind is what the parts situation will be once it’s outside its warranty period as orange are likely to stop producing stuff like spare rear triangles (as per 26″ 5’s recently) but if you can get one at a reduced price I’d say go for it.

I paid £730 for my frame and ctd shock from one of the french websites 8)

petersnell
    Free Member

I’ve had my gyro since May,paid £2099 for a pro spec with upgraded hope brakes from Je James cycles. Has replaced my 29er hardtail and I haven’t ridden my heckler since either. After seeing the new segment was thinking of an angleset or offset bush kit. Dont know if the bush kit would work with the wheel/seat tube clearance at full travel. Anyone tried it?

z1ppy

Some-one had a frame on the classified, with “one” offset bushing fitted, so assume there is some clearance issues otherwise I’d expect you’d fit both.

petersnell
    Free Member

Might have a try with one bush then two, don’t think I could justify the expense of an angleset as it handles pretty well as is really. Cheap bush kit might be worth a go tho!

Bregante

Rear clearance is already pretty tight though.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/orange-gyro-owners-question

roverpig

I’m another who has considered this. I was looking forward to the “new” Orange 29er; assuming that they would make a Gyro with shorter chainstays (stiffer rear end, easier to manual etc). When the Segment came out it looked like it was just a lower slacker Gyro and my first thought was “why not just buy a heavily discounted Gyro and stick in an angleset?”. I’ve not heard any reports of the Segment in the wild yet though. I find it hard to believe that going from 135 to 142 bolt through makes things any stiffer as all that really amounts to is cutting a few slots in the dropouts, which should make them less stiff if anything, but I could be wrong.

I think Guy Martin stuck a works components headset in his Gyro, so that’s one vote in favour.

z1ppy

I’ve not heard any reports of the Segment in the wild yet though

I assume there only just coming through…

PS: Orange say they definitely have a demo bike…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Orange Gyro + angleset v Segment’ is closed to new replies.