Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Orange Five cable routing
  • trekstar
    Free Member

Just ordered some new brakes for my Five. Will it be possible for me to install the rear brake through the chainstay without having to bleed the brake?

Would pulling out the hose from the lever and feeding it through back to front then attaching back to lever work??

endurokid
    Free Member

No, this will not work, and yes, you will need to bleed your brakes, simple answer!

wors

When i did mine, the brake worked perfectly after, no bleeding required!

Feeding the hose through the frame was a right ball ache though

carlphillips
    Free Member

shitmanos didnt need bleeding after i did the same for mine.
    avids did need bleeding on my 224 though, prob just unlucky tho.

give it a go anyway, bleeding brakes isn’t hard!

trekstar
    Free Member

They are shimano brakes so hopefully this will work.

Any tips from the people who have done this successfully? What’s the best way to get the hose through the chainstay?

Thanks

trekstar
    Free Member

Anyone?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As with all these things a guide is needed to make it easy, coat hanger or cable outer etc. pull it through with the old one and use that to pull the next one through. Make sure you have the stuff to do a bleed though as it could go all wrong.

dougieb
    Free Member

Coat hanger worked for me (taped to the brake hose). A bit fiddly and I needed to bleed the brakes after.

tony07
    Free Member

Does anyone know will the olive need cut off for new style shimano brakes or will the whole lot fit through the holes in the swingarm?

trekstar
    Free Member

I am wondering this as well Tony.

tony07
    Free Member

I currently just have it cable tied to the swingarm, but I feel it’s a tad exposed

coatesy
    Free Member

Generally, the hose will need shortening, and very doubtful you’ll get a compression nut through the holes anyway, so trim it off. It’s usually much easier feeding it front to back, but if you have a crimped on banjo at the caliper, then it’ll have to go in from the rear. Feed a gear inner through from the front, fish it out, feed it into the open hose, and use it as a guide to feed the hose through. Removing the rubber grommet makes feeding through much easier, but refitting it with the hose in place isn’t a nice job (easier with smaller hose like yours though). Don’t forget to feed it through the shock mount before reconnection too, or you’ll have to pop the shock out as well 😳

orangesoul
    Free Member

My XT’s didn’t need bleeding and I used a spare spoke to attach to the hose in order to feed it through. The rubber grommet is a right b1tch to fit back into place though! Olive will need replacing when the hose is shortened.

allthepies
    Free Member

I used the coathanger method to feed the hose through. Reused the olive and didn’t need to bleed afterwards. Hope M4 brakes.

tony07
    Free Member

My dilemma is the fact the hose doesn’t need shortened, but buy he sounds of it the compression but ain’t gonna fit

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five cable routing’ is closed to new replies.