Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Opinions on wheels
  • scottyjohn
    Free Member

Hi all,
    My old wheels are giving up the ghost and I need replacements but not too expensive. General singltracking / trailcenter stuff, with only small in trail kickers occasionally. Im a heavy rider and reasonably fast on the downhills. Would these be too lightweight? I see some reviews of the older model on MTBR and they werent very psitive, but anyopne got any experience of the 2010 models?

http://www.mavic.com/mtb/products/crossride-disc.996181.1.aspx

Any advice appreciated!

epicsteve
    Free Member

I've got Crossride wheels on my Enduro and I'm no lightweight. Given the price I've been surprised at the quality and also that they're not too heavy.

mysterymove
    Free Member

I USED A SET ON MY HARD-TAIL FOR A BIT AND WAS VERY IMPRESSED – USED THEM FOR MUCH THE SAME AS YOU AND FOR COMMUTING THEY'RE STILL GOING STONG. I'VE ONLY SWAPPED THEM BECAUSE I HAD A SET OF HOPE HOOPS SPARE FROM THE BIG BIKE…

Slogo
    Free Member

ive got a set im 93kgs on a good day. and had no problems in the last 3 years really good wheels and im loving the flat spokes they look very good for the money.

just remember the new ones have 6 hole rotor adaptors as they are all centre lock now. not seen the adaptors but in sure they are as great quality as the wheels themselfs!

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Thanks guys, however, Im looking at this and see that they are only 24 hole as opposed to 32 or 36? Does that not mean they are weaker than a 36 hole wheel, or have Mavic overcome this somehow?

epicsteve
    Free Member

The ones I've got are also 24-hole and that hasn't been a problem so far, either on the full-suss or when they were on the hardtail.

nickc

In principle they'll be weaker than a 32/36 hole wheel, but in practice I doubt it'll make a massive difference unless you're completely ham-fisted. The less spokes on a wheel, they harder they are to true though, if that bothers you.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Mate broke 2 spokes on them over 1.5 years 08' model (he is not heavy) – Also spoke replacements can be expensive 🙂

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

I would shy away from the fancy mavic/dt factory wheels just for compatability, plus im not convinced with pinned rims or mavic hubs. If i had 170-200 on a set of wheels i would get an xt hubs with good rims (like 719s) with DB spokes. Should come in at ~£160, but wont look as fancy.

sheldona
    Free Member

I think my wides got them on her fs. Still round but freehubs are shite ime.

bassspine
    Free Member

opinions on wheels? I thought you were suggesting a new name for this forum 🙂

unovolo
    Free Member

Had a set for about 2 years now,still round,reasonable weight.
    Personally I cannot fault them,spares are not hard to get but are not normally "On the Shelf" at your local bike store.

Value for £ ,I think there difficult to beat.

tron
    Free Member

I've got an EN521 on a Deore hub with plain gauge spokes (found that one out the other day – thought I'd ordered DB) and it weighs 1200g if my memory serves.

Twas cheap, and it should be tough as old boots. Go for a better hub and some DB spokes and you'll probably have a not hugely higher weight for a similar price.

Edit: However, it really depends how heavy & clumsy you are and whether you're on a hardtail or FS bike. FS is obviously going to be easier on the wheels. Personally I'm suspicious of pinned rims after one spctacularly folded up on me when I was a kid…

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

It's worth chucking a teaspoonful of new oil in the freehub every 6 months or so. Quite an easy 5 minute job and it stops any early wear of the bushing and pawls.
    Mavics take a bit of tinkering sometimes (checking the bearing preload etc) but usually last well.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

Hmm this is pretty mixed then 🙁 I am very heavy so will need something thats tough so perhaps these arent for me….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Opinions on wheels’ is closed to new replies.