Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)
  • Ooops, I accidentally bought a new bike….
  • woody2000

La la la, not listening! 🙂

iamroughrider
    Free Member

looks superb. Always thought those UTE bikes looked a bit too big for most of the time , but this looks spot on.

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

Borrowed a ute to tour northern france a couple of years ago. It was a great bike for that trip, almost tempted to get the mini ute, just have to find somewhere to keep it.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Quite tempted by one of these as I’ve had my eye on cargo bikes for a while. The Surly Big dummy looks great, but the price is rather eye watering.

Looking at the rear rack design it seems to me the major disadvantage of the minUTE over it’s big brother and similar cargo bikes is that it doesn’t have the horizontal platform bars under the panniers so any heavy loads are supported by the pannier bags alone.

Anyone on here got one? Is it a ‘proper’ cargo bike, or just a normal bike with permanently fixed on pannier racks?

woody2000

Anyone got a despatch email yet? Mine still says processing. Be ironic if there’s a cock up with mine and everyone else gets theirs…..

theroadwarrior – I think it’s “cargo lite” than full blown cargo bike. Does the Ute have support bars? Can’t really see them on the photos.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Woody- good point, the big UTE doesn’t have them either.. hurmm.

I suppose as it’s only 350 I could DIY something…

Thinking/random-purchase-approval cap on..

lunge

Mine was dispatched yesterday according to the e-mail, a mere 3 hours after ordering.

pictonroad

My order isn’t showing on my chain reaction account.

I have the email receipt and paypal receipt. I hope it hasn’t screwed up I’m really excited about getting on it!

chakaping
    Free Member

My order isn’t showing on my chain reaction account.

I have the email receipt and paypal receipt.

The new system there is ****, don;’t worry.

cr500dom
    Free Member

Arrrgh 🙁
    I really want a cargo bike for hauling the juniors around, but I wonder if I could get a 15mnth old and a 3 and a bit year old on the rear deck ?
    I`m thinking smallest on the back in a kiddie seat, with eldest between rider and kiddie seat with stoker bars and a strap to keep her in place ?
    Obviously I`d put side fences on with foot rests too….
    £350 is a bit of a bargain for that

triple_s

You mean something like this?

Having a second kiddie sat behind the rear axle does make the handling a bit intersting, going to move all 3 of us forward a bit on my Ute and see if that makes it better.

woody2000

I’m hoping to get a 4 yr old and a 3yr old on the back dom. Nothing more than some stoker bars, 3yr old sat closest to the saddle and the 4yr old reaching round him to hold the bars. Or something like that anyway!

Maybe a cushion of some kind too if I’m feeling generous 🙂

cr500dom
    Free Member

That’s the general Idea yes, although kiddie seat lower and further forwards I think.
    Failing that It`ll be wee ride up front and kiddie seat on back…..

Oh well, time to break down the alfine commuter build and get it on the classifieds I guess 😀

cr500dom
    Free Member

Oops, well it looks like I have done the same 😳
    Better get busy in the shed tonight to make some room

Anyone want an Alfine set up 😀

user-removed
    Free Member

Talking of Alfine set ups, the Kona Dr Good has a 7-speed Nexus hub and is the same price as the MinUte (also half price).

cr500dom
    Free Member

This can be my Kiddie Carrier / commuter / workhorse / lock up in town bike.

So the Trek XC based commuter I’ve just built can be broken down again and sold to fund it.

Trek is good fun, but no rack/Guard mounts was always going to be the limiting factor to it being the perfect commuter

eyerideit
    Free Member

Get one of these from xtracycle and you could get your other half on the back as well.

Merak

They’ve put the price up? 🙁

cr500dom
    Free Member

Anyone got theirs yet ?

cr500dom
    Free Member

“Hi,

We are contacting you with an update on your order. Due to a stock discrepancy we are unable to include Kona MinUte Bike 2012 18″ – Matt Black in your order at this time.”

🙁
    Bo11ox 👿

user-removed
    Free Member

Yah boo, that sucks 🙁

Got my tracking number today (20″ one), sorry… Treat yourself to one of the Kona Dr Good things at the same price. You have my permission.

woody2000

Mine arrived this morning, sorry dom 🙁

It’s a sturdy beast, box it came in was huge. Out of the box, it’s nowhere near as heavy as I thought it was going to be. Pannier bags are big, but not absolutely massive – couple of carrier bags would fit in each no problem & they look sturdy. Deck is longer than I thought, should fit 2 small kids on there no probs or a crate of beer! 🙂 )

Looking forward to taking it for a ride 🙂

wwaswas

will you be racing it?

(via @morvelo)

cr500dom
    Free Member

Glad you guys got yours…..

I`m gutted as I was really looking forward to having Kiddie transport sorted so the whole family could ride out together 😥

eyerideit
    Free Member

I delayed my delivery, but according to the guy I spoke to, mine was being built in and readied for delivery last Thursday.

Hope it’s still waiting for me.

easygirl

Got mine this morning, and a free pedal spanner and multi tool!
    Deck,is longer Han I though, had a. Ride down the street, not as heavy as I thought, and easy to pedal
    Will be good fun I think 😀

RustySpanner

Damn, wish I’d bought one now!

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

How come a free pedal spanner and multi tool? Is that a CRC thing or a kona thing?

Was tempted to get one but missed the low prices 🙁

easygirl

Chain reaction thing
    To build the bike up I think
    But is ok quality

cr500dom
    Free Member

Oh Well, looks like I have a 20″ one on the way instead !!!

Standover height is the same on both so we`ll see how it fits…..
    Fingers crossed as I`m only a short ar$e 😆

EDIT,
    If it does fit and I keep it, I will be doing some accessories for it
    Probably some (Reflective)side panels CNC Cut to fit behind Panniers and possibly a double kiddie seat arrangement too.

Is that something that would interest anyone else ?
    Cheers
    Dom

woody2000

Yay 🙂

I reckon you’ll be fine on a 20″ (well, depends how much of a short arse you are I suppose! I’m 5’8 if I really try and I reckon either size would have done fine). There’s loads of standover and the backswept bars really shorten the bike anyway.

Let us know what kind of accessories you end up making!

takisawa2

5’9″ on my 18″ Full Ute, & it’s fine. A 20″ might need a shorter stem but coming off a mtb/road bike it’s quite an upright position anyway. It’s more a bike for wafting along than anything. Get them up to speed & they hussle along nicely. I’ve had all manner of stuff on the back of mine, my 6 & 7 yr olds still get occasionally, I’ve had a pile of kids bikes for the school, gazebo etc. The deck is really just a base for customising to suit. Mine only came with a single Ute bag, so I use two Phil & Ted buggy saddlebags. It’s practically been our second (3rd) car for the last year & a half. Bigger tyres are a good mod,if your hauling weight. 2″ Schwalbe Big Apples work.

My full Ute, with passengers…

IMAG0774 by pten2106, on Flickr

Some more Ute goodness…
    IMAG0802

cr500dom
    Free Member

Takisawa, some great pics there, I figure I`ll make a new plywood deck to take attachments rather than spoil the Kona one.
    I have a pair of Ortleib panniers too so I may fit a rail to take them if they don’t fit on the standard rack mounts.

Some plywood wheel skirts with running/foot boards doweled to them might help with bigger / heavier loads and give the ability to tow the kids bikes if needed.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Got my despatch notice today, so mines on it’s way!

Is that something that would interest anyone else ?

I might be interested in some if they have all the clips to attach them and the price of course.

I’ve read the brakes are a bit poo when the bikes loaded, what’s the real-world opinion of them?

cr500dom
    Free Member

eyerideit – Member
    I might be interested in some if they have all the clips to attach them and the price of course.

I have access to a cnc router and a cnc laser cutter so I was thinking of doing something similar to these:
    http://sellwoodcycle.com/fully-loaded-accessorizing-the-kona-minute/

They will require a couple of bolts if plywood and load bearing or some cable ties if plastic 😀

I should also be able to do them in proper “Emergency services” Reflective vinyls as well for some added visibility 😀 :mrgreen:

user-removed
    Free Member

Mine arrived earlier today so took it out for a quick spin – nothing serious, just the park / old railway lines.

I’ve read the brakes are a bit poo when the bikes loaded, what’s the real-world opinion of them?

Mine needed a fair bit of fettling but are still a bit poo tbh – perhaps I’ve been spoiled by a few years with hydraulic brakes?!

And here it is not looking out of place at the local pub beer garden. Please noter, I haven’t fitted a wicker basket – there’s a rusty old vintage ladys’ shopper behind it…

The deck at the back is a bit loud – tempted to spray it black but on the whole, first impressions very good. The saddle is going – really short and uncomfortable for my bony arris, the pedals are already gone, replaced with some old V12s. The seatpost was the only thing not greased – pretty well built altogether.

It’ll take me a while to remember not to throw a leg over it (rather than stepping through) but really, no complaints at all. Also came with a free spanner pedal, CRC multi-tool and dinky CRC bottle.

lemonysam
    Free Member

rusty old vintage lady

That’s no way to talk about the missus.

lunge

Mine is due today or tomorrow hopefully, it was dispatched yesterday. Already thinking the Deore brakes I have spare and some Wellgo pedals will go straight on, in fact, I’m thinking whether some 200mm + disks might be worthily tying on given they are sat in my spares box.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Already thinking the Deore brakes

I was thinking a pair of Merlins Formula RX for my hardtail then transplant the Juicy 7’s onto the Minute.

200mm + disk

😯 Really?

woody2000

Rode mine home tonight, 11 miles or so from work. Took a bit of getting used to initially, don’t like the backswept bars and the saddle is gash, but all in all it’s pretty bike like 🙂

Actually thought the brakes were okay, gave them a good bedding in and was soon locking the back wheel so with a bit of weight on should be just right.

Don’t underestimate how wide they are with the bags on, I got stuck a couple of times getting on and off the local greenway!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘Ooops, I accidentally bought a new bike….’ is closed to new replies.