Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • One tyre all year
  • hughjengin
    Free Member

Nonk, didnt think you had ignitors on last time I saw ! Whats that weird Rendez thing like ?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Small Block 8s

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Always been a fit and forget one tyre all year type of rider. Due to cost, laziness and the fact that we seem to have the same conditions pretty much throughout the year in the Peaks albeit for perhaps one month here and one month there (last year was May/June, Sept/Oct for dry spells).

Been running 2.4 Conti MK Pros for the past 2 years and been happy with the speed, rolling resistance, wear, grip, predictability. Although I know that most people hate them.

Tried 2.35 Kenda BG/Nevegal combo for 2 weeks and hated them. So slow, so stiff, waaay too much grip for my liking.

Before that was Maxxis Advantage 2.25 for a year. OK, a lot slower than the Contis, ride felt stiff/harsh(?) seemed to grip and clear well in all conditions though.

I do like to run high pressures though hence harsh/stiff ride perhhaps??

I'm about to venture into the world of tyre purchasing again. Shortlist so far…

Schwalbe Nobby Nic Snakeskin 2.25
    Schwalbe Fat Albert F & R Snakeskin 2.25
    WTB Wierwolf 2.3
    Maxxis HR 60a 2.35 F & Larsen TT 60a 2.35 R

..decisions, decisions..

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Past favourites:

Fire XC Pros
    Nevegals

In the shed to try:
    Spesh Eskars
    Geax Barros

But then, as with a lot of components, tyres follow the simple formula:

S=p(10-n)

Where S=satisfaction; p=price; n=number of months owned

knottie8
    Free Member

for the last two and a bit years I have used nothing but Maxxis Larsen TTs on my 456. Snow,mud,dusty who cares.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Both F & R knottie8?

wonnyj
    Free Member

+1 for the Specialized The Captains.

Really really good all rounders if you're looking for something a bit less burly than high rollers. Possibly a bit dodgy in thick thick mud, and possibly a bit heavy for racing but very very good overall.

knottie8
    Free Member

KoB oh yes f and r.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Nice!

Now tempted to go for the cheaper Maxxis option, especially as my rear MK probably has less grip than a Larsen at the mo.

knottie8
    Free Member

Larsens are great for grip its just having the confidence to trust them. I have used them in 1.9 size on my singlespeed as winter tyres !

devs
    Free Member

Someone else mention Conti verticals.
    Absolutely amazing in the snow – nothing comes close.

That would be the voice of someone who hasn't tried swampies in snow. Or you don't have real snow. Personally, you couldn't pay me to have Verts on again. They appear to be fast and grippy but they just wash out unpredictably. 2 near misses with A&E saw mine consigned to the bin.

For the OP either 2.35 60a HR F&R or swap the rear for a Larsen TT 2.35 60a.

DezB
    Free Member

Ti29er – Member
    On my car, it's one-tyre-all-year.

WTF has that got to do with anything??

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I can imagine Larsen TTs would fare pretty well on the Quantocks irrespective of season. The similar small block 8's I have make the occasional appearance in the dryest months of the year on the Mendips. They don't really cut it when things get moderately moist.

younggeoff

Currently running Nobby Nics 2.1 and 2.25. Going to try some HR 2.35's as the NN's are bit thin / light to tubelss they qsquirm around to much

knottie8
    Free Member

Science officer
    I ride TTs where ever I go not just the Qs , I raced BBf last summer(? it pissed down) in the rooty mud fest and ok they slid a bit but I loved them. They roll so bloody fast.

Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘One tyre all year’ is closed to new replies.