Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • One tyre all year
  • dropoff

Well actually several years. I know there are a "few" riders on here that change they're tyres regularly but I can't be ar*ed with that so i settled on one and made it work. So whats your year round tyre and why ?

nickjb
    Free Member

Conti Gravity for me. Not great in the mud but then neither am I.

tazzymtb

one tyre?

does sir ride a uni-cycle? Or have you managed the perpetual wheelie, therefore saving the need for a pair of tyres and those expensive newfangled boingyforkthingymebobs? 🙂

matt_outandabout

I only do one set. Has been Conti Verticals (thought they were great, realised they are avarage), followed by Nobby Nics (fabulous, but wore out quickly), Mountain Kings (never got on with them, especially in corners, either normal or Black Chilli) now on some Ardents and liking them a lot. Seem to be as supple as the NN's, nippy and great cornering grip.

wombat

Continental Vapour for me, they came with the bike and have done the job just fine for the past 18 months (need new ones really but can't be arsed just yet…)

coogan
    Free Member

High Rollers. Changing them every season seems nuts to me. Much like having a 'winter bike'.

druidh
    Free Member

GP4000S – the one's with the black chilli compound.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Conti Mountain Kings Protection 2.4's, soon to be the same but Tubless. I suppose if I do any events I should go for some light weight narrow tyres, but I'm not anal retentive enough to bother!

noteeth
    Free Member

WTB Velociraptors.

Chardo
    Free Member

I use High Rollers 2.35 all year round also. I can crash on them in rain, snow or shine and on any terrain.

Joking aside, they are really good all rounders.

takisawa2

I'd be happy to run Nevegal / Blue Groove all year.

fbk
    Free Member

Advantage. Grippy enough for anything without too much drag penalty

Ti29er
    Free Member

Look outside.
    See the acres of mud and more mud and swollen streams and sodden trails.
    2 sets. Winter and summer.
    Don't be such a lazy toad!

coogan
    Free Member

Nothing lazy about it. Just don't feel the need to change them, High Rollers work a treat for me.

Whyte1
    Free Member

WOMBAT once you try another tyre you wont believe how crap those vapour are

Kahurangi

Conti Mountain Kings 2.4 Supersonic haven't been too bad at anything I'd tried them with, but I haven't lived long enough to try everybody's recommendations.

/edit – and yes, they stay on my bike all year round, been running them since last May, tubeless since november.

cynic-al
    Free Member

That's cos you rides teh trail centres coogan!

coogan
    Free Member

There's other type of riding Al? You lie!

4ndyB
    Free Member

Nevegal StickE up front DTC out back, or Panaracer Fire XC pro work well for my & where I ride all through the year

nevegals give better grip, but a bit draggier & Fire XC Pro's roll better but have a bit less grip up front

Seen as I have a new bike, I'm going with Fire XC out back wit a Nevegal StickE up front, should work well (in theory anyhoo!)

DrP

Conti vert pro tubeless….
    Haven't changed them in an age!

Get on well, and appreciate there are better tyres out there, but what the hey!!!

Will look at high rollers as they get good praise, but not if they weight a tonne more than the verts.

DrP

dropoff

Ti29er, you're right not only am I a lazy toad (I love that) but I don't have tons of dosh for rubbers 🙂

drain

NN 2.1" – but I love changing tyres! 😀

LoCo
    Free Member

fat albert

zeicke
    Free Member

high rollers, shit all year

Reluctant
    Free Member

Maxxis Ignitors for me. Stick 'em on and run 'em year round.Work just fine in all but deep mud, great on the local trails and trail centres.

scaredypants

In the forest of new, the only really rideable tyres between about Nov and April are trailrakers or similar so that'd have to be your year-round option

They're a tad draggier than absolutely necessary when it's dry

hh45
    Free Member

Nevegals – passable in mud, passable to race, great on everything xc in between.

rp16v
    Free Member

another one for ignitors i run them on my ss find them great all year round for the last 2 years.

glenncampbell

For the road bike Conti GP4000's are awesome in black chilli as above.

Ont the MTB Nobby Nic 2.1 UST are great for most things, as are the 2.1 Ignitors.

nonk
    Free Member

i am an ignitor man.
    sometimes put a crossmark on the back.

Spey-Stout
    Free Member

i like black ones. but i used to have green ones. and a red one.

benjag
    Free Member

up until a few months ago it was minion front, highroller/advantage rear….until I discovered wet screams, they just take the piss! 😆

AndyF1
    Free Member

Hutchinson Pythons.

james
    Free Member

"High Rollers. Changing them every season seems nuts to me"
    The 2.35" ones will cope with sloppy mud, but they're so much harder work to pedal through than a mud tyre because of the extra width. The ramps don't help them out much for pedalling

I reckon If I had to have just one, It'd be Bontrager ACX TR (55/62a) 2.2"s. A touch small volume, but cope with mud almost as well as mud X's (but bigger), roll pretty well, grip pretty well and 55a corner knobbles corner okay
    Theres one big drawback though, Bontrager has pulled them from their lineup! Barstewards

I like to change tyres though so my current 'schedule' is something like:
    FS Winter slop: Bontrager ACX (55/62a) 2.2"
    HT Winter slop: Bontrager Mud X (55/62a) 2.0"

FS 'Summer': Kenda Nevegal (50/60a)2.1"
    HT 'Summer': Maxxis Crossmark 70a 2.1"

FS Alps: Maxxis High Roller 60a (single ply wire) 2.5"
    FS Beefier than normal: Maxxis Advantage 60a 2.25"
    FS Autumnal/Spring Transitional Conditions, but slighly beefy: Maxxis High Roller 60a 2.35"

I'd like to try some 2.35" (folding) 60a Minions in place of the folding HRs, and some lower profile tyres for drier 'summer' conditions, maybe some Michelin Dry2 XC 2.15", and 2.5" 60a single ply wire Minions in place of the 2.5" HRs, or maybe Specialized 2.3" Clutch SX (45/50a) up front, or a 2.35" 50a Kenda Nevegal or Blue Groove. Ooh I could try 2.3" (55/65a) Specialized Eskars in place of the single compound Advantages too ..
    Theres just so many to try ..

cynic-al
    Free Member

I for one am continually surprised by how much folk put into tyre choice.

DickBarton

Conti Vert Pros (but they are about to be replaced with some Conti Mountain Kings (Black Chilli) – so hopefully they will be just as good.

I tried a 2.2 Nobby Nic 2 nights ago and was mighty impressed with it, so that would also be a consideration for me.

I got High Rollers (folding 2.1's I think) on the Marin when I bought it and they were very sketchy – lasted 3 rides – great in the dry but the slightest bit of mud and I couldn't keep a line and cornering was very worrying (saying that I'm not claiming to be a great rider).

So personally, I've had real bad experiences with the High Rollers (admittedly only about 30 miles on them but enough to scare myself silly); Conti Vert Pros are very long in the tooth now but they seem to work well in all conditions, I'm hoping the Mountain Kings will be just as good (they look very similar) – I'm getting them at a silly low price so if they are junk, I won't be shy in saying so – seem to have mixed feelings to them on here but other review sites seem to suggest they are fine.

I'm just looking for a tyre that doesn't spin out when riding over any ground (apart from thick snow, ice and wet roots – I'm expecting all tyres to spin on those) – keep me going in mud until I physically can't go on; clear well once away from the mud and offer grip whilst cornering. I'm not overly bothered about tyre weight (although I'd steer clear of real heavy stuff as my legs would suffer!), so as long as the tyre ticks those boxes then I'll be happy with it…the idea of changing tyres for each ride seems a bit strange to me – I know loads of folk who do it, but it just seems a waste of 20 minutes on a weekly/daily basis to me.

If I had the cash to spare I think I'd be looking at some Nobby Nic's, but I tend to react badly to having to pay more than 20 quid for a tyre – not really sure why as a good tyre can make a huge difference to a ride.

Solo
    Free Member

Bontrager Mud X, for all year round.

Not impressed though with the "tubeless ready" claim. I've tried, they've been a PITA tubeless, but that aside, run them with tubes and its my all-round tyre.

S.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I use Specalized 'The Captian' sworks 2bliss tyres tublessly all year round. The roll fast enough and also work well in mud and even snow.
    I have the 2.2 on my FS and the 2.0 on the HT plus they only cost £22 each.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Well I used to be one tyre for all:

Started with Panaracer Fir XC Pro – low rolling res but crap on corners/tech
    Then MK Protection 2.2 – poor wear and washed out on corners but fairly grippy.

Finally got some Maxxis minions/High rollers – too heavy for nornal days XC riding but great fro tech stuff.

Then got another wheel set and went for 2.1 Advantages and they seem a good combination of grip and mud clearance.

They will be my all round tyre unless very dry and then poss put my MK's on but I reckon they will stay there 🙂

nickc

Normally would have changed to Trailrakers but the NobbyNics have stayed on this year. Not noticed a massive reduction in grip. May change to Ralphs if the summer's nice

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘One tyre all year’ is closed to new replies.